Postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:21 pm The Pajama Buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:21 pm The Pajama Buck

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:00 am

The Pajama Buck

My 10 yo boy and I planned his second rifle hunt to family land in MI (same land I started hunting on when I was young).
Instead of missing a week of school for the Nov 15 opener, we decided to fly up for the September youth weekend.
Before the trip started things got tricky. A lil storm named Irma came near our town in FL.

The airport was shut down and we were just days away from our flight. Luckily, they resumed flights just in time for the flyin to Grand Rapids MI

All smiles now after the ominous start

We have 2 days to get him a buck. Our cousins have been seeing good deer in the fields in the evenings and some nicer deer on camera in the woods. His hopes are high.

Day one, we're tucked in a corner with woods and and a swamp behind us and corn in front of us.
2 hours after first light, I see a deer face popping out of the swamp, then another. The first (button) deer jumped the fence bordering the swamp and meandered around the corn. Then a decent 8 came into the corn and then an even nicer 8. The deer had zero skittish behavior.
The boy put the scope on the largest and..... 'click' misfire.
I whispered for him to ratchet a new shell in the .243, he did, but at 40 yards they heard it, saw him move and then bolted into the corn

He was CRUSHED

I did what I could to help his pain. Words, stories, pats on the shoulder. It still sucked. We went up to the house for an afternoon distraction.
The evening hunt brought out only a small basket 6 that gave him all of 3 seconds to look down the scope, aim and fire.

It wasn't long enough

That evening at the house was solemn and I could tell he hated what happened. I assured him again, not his fault, it happens, and he'll still get a deer.

The morning of day 2 saw only a small doe.
It was hot (86 degrees), dry, windy and the boy was still harboring the pain over the bullet and expressing constant thoughts of never getting another chance. I finally said, "Come on, let's go for a walk"

I know there are deer. Good deer. We're gonna find a new set-up

We walk a 40 acre edge of our corn field that abuts to the neighbors 40 acre potato field.

We find some good sign. Lots of sign. Large poop piles everywhere. No question from big deer.
Also the elderberry bushes are just beaten down (not eaten but beaten, appears like with horns).

The area is a grassy transition between our two properties, maybe 10 yards x 75 yards.
As luck would have it, just 50 yards south is a low, bushy oak. Perfect.
Up to town to purchase a pop up.

We get back at 1, set up the blind under the oak, brush it in with corn I chopped , and head back to the house to get ready for the evening hunt.

Right before we left, I grabbed a black tshirt from his pack for him to wear in the blind, we head out at 5:38

Sun down was 7:45 last shooting was 8:15

The clock is ticking, the sun was waning, and he was still beating himself down. I told him, "It's going to happen, I'm confident they will be crossing here. You will get a second chance."

Then, approx 7:50 ish, 400 yards away I spot a deer at the backside of the potato field. Horns.

I said "Levi! deer!"

Then another deer filtered out. And another. Then a BEAST of another popped out (his horns were massive, largest typical I've seen in the wild)

There wasn't any question even at this distance they were all good deer

I told Levi to get his gun and watch the deer, because they are going to walk right to us and pass in the grassy transition to get into the corn.
And that's what they did. Single file. The beast however stayed back, way back. He was the only deer we saw that actually exhibited any type of real wariness.

It was approx 8:07 and getting low light. The front deer is now 70 yards or so and stops at the edge of the properties near the grassy area.

I said "Levi, the deer is ok to shoot now. When you are comfortable, and he presents the shot, do it"
He never really said much more, a few minutes go by and I just reminded him again, "He's not going anywhere, take him when your ready, exhale, and ease that trigger back"

8:10 BOOM!

I couldn't watch impact cause I had to tuck into the corner for him to get the position in the blind
I popped my head up and saw it run 150 yards or so without missing a step and heading directly to the beast (the beast bolted instany like Levis deer, the other two ran in circles wondering what was up)

The beast turned and bolted north.
Levi's deer did a high rear leg kick, changed his direction and followed big boys path then disappeared over a rise heading towards the woods. I couldn't see the tree line cause of the darkening sky so we weren't sure exactly where they went in.

He then asked me "Did I hit him, did I"?
I said, "You tell me. I didn't watch. How'd he react?"
He was stating he was afraid he missed, he couldnt tell by the way the buck was running.

I said "Levi, these bigguns have strong hearts and will power, they can go a long ways when shot, so let's just get the light and go find him."

We ambled over to where he shot him.
No blood.

Then we decided to find his escape route (which actually wasn't too hard with the size of his prints in the clean, raised potato rows).
His hooves were so large we could pick up his depression easily here and there.

Still no blood.

We get to the rise that he ran over ....and I walk right into the buck.
Dead.

Perfect shot.

No blood though.

Either way he was stoked!

I was happy. We were hugging and hooting and hollering
His two young cousins were hunting another 80 nearby and we called them over to help

They walked up and Levi was just all grins. Proud boy.

8 point w a kicker.
Little gnarly, but lots of character and size

Beast of a deer for the boy

I texted the boys mom, she says "Great deer! But you gave him his pajama shirt to wear??"

How did I know, it was a black shirt and it was in his pack?

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:21 pm The Pajama Buck

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 am

BRUTE!!! Cool story & great pics :clap:
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:35 pm

:clap:
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
PAbowhunter

Unread postby PAbowhunter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:06 pm

Congrats great buck!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:18 am

8-)
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:21 am

That's awesome! Congrats! :D
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:47 am

Thanks all.

I just happened to look at the pic of the boys shirt at the airport.....it says..BEAST on it.

Damn, what a coincidence! I wasn't even a member here yet.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”