2018 WI Bear Tags

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: 2018 WI Bear Tags

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:51 pm

Jodi drew a zone C tag as well!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: this will be good

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:55 am

Even with less tags handed out for zone D this year, there were guys that still drew on 6 pts. We had 2 guys this year in our group that put in for zone A, with 7pts. that never drew.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:50 am

Dewey wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:
Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:Yes zone D has been drawing alot sooner than A. I will have to keep an eye on it in the future, since I am very close to the line!

This year they gave out less tags in Zone D

Just read that they claim the bear population is down in Zone B and Zone D. Last year Zone D had 2,600 tags and this year 2,315. Success rate in Zone D was 48% last year and 63% in Zone B.

Zone D might be getting a better handle on the bear population but I think over the years Wiscosin is now going threw repeat hunters, they have experience and a better understanding and are willing to pass on bears for larger more mature bears. Its not like hunters did not have a chance at a bear :think: , they just are being more selective and not filling there tag, thus creating a lower success rate.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:59 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:
Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:Yes zone D has been drawing alot sooner than A. I will have to keep an eye on it in the future, since I am very close to the line!

Just read that they claim the bear population is down in Zone B and Zone D. Last year Zone D had 2,600 tags and this year 2,315. Success rate in Zone D was 48% last year and 63% in Zone B.

Zone D might be getting a better handle on the bear population but I think over the years Wiscosin is now going threw repeat hunters, they have experience and a better understanding and are willing to pass on bears for larger more mature bears. Its not like hunters did not have a chance at a bear :think: , they just are being more selective and not filling there tag, thus creating a lower success rate.

I think this could be said about other zones as well. In Zone A, in areas I hunt there are a lot of bears. I get them on camera without even trying everywhere I setup a camera. I also hear of many hunters that are passing 200 pound bears in hopes for something bigger so they eat their tag. When I eventually get my tag I'm probably going to be holding out for something decent since it just takes so long to get a kill tag.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:05 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

I will be one of the more selective hunters next time I get a tag since I now have a few average bears under my belt. Time to kick it up a notch. Keep feeding them bears Mike. I expect a few to be good and fat in another 3-5 years. :lol:
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:26 am

Dewey wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

I will be one of the more selective hunters next time I get a tag since I now have a few average bears under my belt. Time to kick it up a notch. Keep feeding them bears Mike. I expect a few to be good and fat in another 3-5 years. :lol:

I can feed them and get them nice and fat but to kill one is another story :lol: I have such great respect for bears and there ability to consistantly outsmart hunters!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:40 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

I can feed them and get them nice and fat but to kill one is another story :lol: I have such great respect for bears and there ability to consistantly outsmart hunters!

Did anybody kill the Ghost bear yet?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:28 am

Dewey wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

Did anybody kill the Ghost bear yet?[/quote]

No one has killed Ghost but that 3 legged bear that was coming in, in 2016 and this year, some other hunter was baiting not that far away, he shot that bear, it was 411lbs. Bears at that bait station are real finicky, once a bear is shot on that property or once they know they are being hunted, they all clear out and dont come back until the next year.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:59 am

Wow.....411 lbs....that bear was obviously living just fine with 3 legs. :o
Whopper Stopper

Unread postby Whopper Stopper » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:50 am

Finally after 9 years I get selected for a WI zone D tag which very likely will be the last one I will ever get. Now I have to start rooting through the archives to see what I need to start doing. 7 months will be here in no time, anyone inclined to share tipe with a rookie I am all ears.

WS

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”