Predator Sign Near Bedding

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Natenlsn2

Predator Sign Near Bedding

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:29 pm

1. Since I have been scouting specifically for buck beds, I have noticed that there is almost always coyote, wolf, or some other predator tracks in the snow skirting in and around the bedding area. Seems like whenever I find predator tracks all over, I must be getting close to bedding. I live in NW Wisconsin, big woods no ag.
- Have any of you noticed that as well in your scouting?

2. Dan mentioned that in low deer density areas, bucks tend to not rub as much near their bed due to a lack of competition....
- is there any potential that a big buck might not rub much to prevent laying down his scent all over that would attract predators?

Nathan Nelson
Still Water Outdoors

Dewey

Re: Predator Sign Near Bedding

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:58 pm

I have noticed this as well. Not always so obvious until you have some snow on the ground. They obviously skirt downwind edges of bedding areas scent checking.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:47 am

Does anyone have a good example of a wolf or coyote track? I know when me,dan,jeff,and jeff’s boy went out that first saturday morning and we walked a 2track on edge of a field and we found a huge track
And it wasnt spot the dog it looked amost wolf or cougar like just a really big track. I remember that dan stated someone actually harvested a wolf on the area we were scouting too.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:50 am

I find many of the beds (at least the ones I think are good buck beds) have coyote poop in them in the winter time. Dan has mentioned that in the winter the predators are able to come out on the ice and get to these beds...and not the case the other 9 months of the year when its all water. If I've seen one I've seen dozens of beds with coyote poop in the beds. Only time will tell to go back after spring thaw and check these again. Hopefully bucks move back in and yotes go back to dry land !
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:32 am

Dewey wrote:I have noticed this as well. Not always so obvious until you have some snow on the ground. They obviously skirt downwind edges of bedding areas scent checking.

I pulled some cameras a few weeks ago with snow on the ground and there were coyote tracks all around the perimeter of the bedding and I had pics of them coming through a fairly well used scrape as well
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:44 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Does anyone have a good example of a wolf or coyote track? I know when me,dan,jeff,and jeff’s boy went out that first saturday morning and we walked a 2track on edge of a field and we found a huge track
And it wasnt spot the dog it looked amost wolf or cougar like just a really big track. I remember that dan stated someone actually harvested a wolf on the area we were scouting too.

Here's a wolf track 8-)

Just note that tracks in the snow aren't easy to distinguish size of animal. If it's fresh it's a little easier but a few days old makes it harder.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:57 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Does anyone have a good example of a wolf or coyote track? I know when me,dan,jeff,and jeff’s boy went out that first saturday morning and we walked a 2track on edge of a field and we found a huge track

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:13 am

Dewey wrote:

Also cats don’t show claws in their tracks since their claws retract
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:30 am

Natenlsn2 wrote:1. Since I have been scouting specifically for buck beds, I have noticed that there is almost always coyote, wolf, or some other predator tracks in the snow skirting in and around the bedding area. Seems like whenever I find predator tracks all over, I must be getting close to bedding. I live in NW Wisconsin, big woods no ag.
- Have any of you noticed that as well in your scouting?

2. Dan mentioned that in low deer density areas, bucks tend to not rub as much near their bed due to a lack of competition....
- is there any potential that a big buck might not rub much to prevent laying down his scent all over that would attract predators?

Nathan Nelson
Still Water Outdoors

Yep, the wolves know deer bedding better than we do, they are always snooping around in those prime bedding areas. I don't think the bucks are rubbing less because of it, just lack of competition. They are leaving scent wherever they travel anyway so that isn't going to stop them.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:30 am

Couple of Pretty Simple Observations/Thoughts. 1.) Some of this can be attributed to the edge of bedding being a transition where just about all game travels. 2.) Thick bedding areas don't just provide habitat for deer, also likely to find higher concentrations of mice, rabbits, etc. 3.)If its a good bedding area because of wind, deer aren't the only animal that recognize this and utilize wind currents. 4.)Wolves and Coyotes are both nose & ear predators, so where there is concentrated prey scent, it makes sense there would be more predator sign. Cougars on the other hand are more ambush predators (which is why they freak me out), so you would expect to see cougar sign at a pinch point along a game trail.

I guess my point is, that just because there's predator sign next to a bedding area doesn't mean that predator is "hunting" the deer/buck, but it makes perfect sense in my mind that there should be predator scent by bedding areas.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:55 am

checkerfred wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Yup. These tracks were found about a month ago just a few miles north of my house. Notice no claw marks. On a wolf they are very obvious.

This cougar was passing thru the area and was caught on a cam just NW of me. The above tracks were likely made by the same cat.

Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:10 am

Dewey wrote:
checkerfred wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Yup. These tracks were found about a month ago just a few miles north of my house. Notice no claw marks. On a wolf they are very obvious.

This cougar was passing thru the area and was caught on a cam just NW of me. The above tracks were likely made by the same cat.

Man that is cool!

This is a great thread. I found coyote poop in a good bedding location in mid January. I'm going to wait for the snow to melt to confirm it, but glad I stumbled onto this thread. It may be as good of a spot as I think it is!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Coyote tracks are smaller and always in a straight line.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 pm

I also hunt in NW WI and have noticed the same thing. There’s been many times I’ve seen a yote cruise downwind of known bedding area. I don’t see wolves do it though. See their tracks and hear them nearby all the time, just haven’t seen them from stand yet.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:58 pm

I've noticed the same thing . Always wondered why that seemed to be the trend.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”