What's in your all day scouting pack?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Re: What's in your all day scouting pack?

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:39 pm

Sticks, RC harness, lineman’s belt, milkweed, phone (ONX), snacks/water, compass, saw, knife, pistol (rat shot and hollows), and recurve/arrows. Why the last two you ask? Hogs are on the menu all the time and snakes can be out any time it’s warm enough. No mercy :violence-pistoldouble:

Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:52 pm

I bring a backpack with water, my saddle, a aerial map, a bundle of those wire flags they mark electrical lines with, pruners, knife and cell phone. I strap one stick on pack with bungee and carry my recurve with a 3 arrow quiver, 2 are just blunt tips to fling at whatever 1 is incase the crap gets to deep.

I put wire flags on trails, scrapes, rubs or whatever interest me then climb high with my saddle and one stick and see if I notice anything interesting if not I refer to aerial and terrain and walk again slowly soaking in the sign
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:18 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I bring a backpack with water, my saddle, a aerial map, a bundle of those wire flags they mark electrical lines with, pruners, knife and cell phone. I strap one stick on pack with bungee and carry my recurve with a 3 arrow quiver, 2 are just blunt tips to fling at whatever 1 is incase the crap gets to deep.

I put wire flags on trails, scrapes, rubs or whatever interest me then climb high with my saddle and one stick and see if I notice anything interesting if not I refer to aerial and terrain and walk again slowly soaking in the sign

The wire flags is a new one.

Don’t forget tp guys. Lost a nice pair of gloves Friday. The yellow handy Andy gloves. They did the job but tp would be cheaper
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:42 am

WATER
Solid hand saw for prepping trees
A cam or 2
GPS
Compass
Walking stick if I’m in a swamp
And old blue (my lab)

Can’t say I ever really needed anything else scouting. I’m also not hardcore enough to pack my stand and sticks around. That’s got to be a pain.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:01 pm

I am assuming OP meant off season scouting? If not please disregard below.

My rule #1 is to not carry a stand/sticks on first scouting trip. To often I prepped a tree only to find something better later on. When I go scouting in off season it is to learn the land. I go light and cover everything highlighted on a map. Second time in is to prep stands and mark entry/exit unless I already know a tree I want to prep.

Pen, aerial photo marked with locations I want to scout,
notebook, compass, phone, water, trail mix. If I have Camera out since last year I will bring keys, 1 stick, extra cards, batteries. I usually have leather gloves ad pruners on me as well. TP is always in my pack as is a small first aid kit.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:04 am

Water, a saw, sometimes a camera or two. Gps is in my pocket.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:56 am

I bring 2 cameras. 2 bottles of water. Some granola bars. Gps. Batterys and a printed map and most of all a friend or family member if capable in case of injury
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:27 am

Cell phone.... Water...
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:24 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
ihookem wrote:Yes, dont forget the toilet paper. I forgot a few outings ago and ended up using my glove. It's still out there. Maybe in the spring I will fetch it. For hunting it is stand, backpack with TP,, knife, at least on cumpass, flashlight, rope, orange ribbon to tie to the trees when following blodd trails. I have plenty of orange ribbon just taking it down all the time on public land and sometimes an extra pair of gloves , incase I forget T.P.

Hey little tip for tracking maybe you know instead of using colored tape use actual toilet paper it works great blood trailing and you dont have to collect it after you are done it breaks down and disappears as soon as it rains its great

X2 - TP = dual purpose.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”