Scariest moment in my life....

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Scariest moment in my life....

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:43 pm

Natenlsn2 wrote:So just last night I started the thread about preadator sign near bedding....little did I know that several hours later I would be standing in a buck bedroom and have the craziest, scariest experience of my life to date. Here is my story!

I wanted to go out in the woods scouting in this new area that I’ve never been before. It is on an oxbow of a river. I was just watching Dans newest YouTube video and he talked about Oxbows so it got me interested to do some scouting! It was a very cold -8 degree morning. I took my dog Leo out with me and we were searching along the river for buck beds. We were about a half mile walk back in the woods when we got to the spot where I wanted to get. We started looking around and found 3 nice buck beds in the snow on the oxbow just as Dan said it would be, so this was a nice predictable deer bedding area. We went up onto the hillside a little further away from the river towards the main body of water and turned around and I heard some noise coming through the snow about about 25 yards away from us at this point. I saw flash of something coming through and I thought it was a deer initially (which was confusing to me because a deer wouldn’t be 20 yards away from me out in the woods since they are so afraid of humans in big woods areas), but then out steps behind the tree the biggest wolf that I’ve ever seen in my life....and he is standing 20 yards away… And it just so happens that I decided that morning not to bring my pistol with me :shock: Dummy mistake. Luckily Leo was standing right next to me and I reached down and grabbed his collar. Leo didn’t bark or do anything he just sat there and was probably just about as scared as I was. The wolf was standing over our back trail sniffing where we had just walked. Come to find out later Leo had a small cut on his foot and was leaving little drops of blood in our trail every seven or 8 feet. So this wolf was standing 20 yards away from us following our blood trail, I don’t have a pistol, and it is the biggest wolf I’ve ever seen in my life. The wolf was a grey, white, tan mix with a huge barrel chest....absolutely massive...it looked like a mountain dog. Not exaggerating, he was at least 140 pounds, he looked bigger than me....And so I did the only thing that I could do...I yelled in the nastiest fiercest way I could and it didn’t move....he wasn’t even afraid of me!!! He kept sniffing the blood trail...I yelled again and it looked up at me, and then it slowly trotted back from where it came.
At this point the danger was far from over because we needed to get back a half miles to the truck. For all I know, we might have been part of an ambush with a pack of wolves. After a few moments of waiting and processing what to do next, I decided to keep hold of Leo’s collar to head back....but Leo didn’t want to move… He was pretty scared. Very thankful though that he didn’t go berserk because that could’ve resulted in both of us getting attacked by the wolf. So I finally got Leo going took about 10 yards at a time...stop...look around....wait then move another 10 yards stop...look around....wait. We did this for a quarter-mile and then we felt comfortable enough to run 30 yards stop and wait. We did that the rest of the way back to the truck. Made it back safely. I learned a pretty valuable lessons this morning. Bring your stupid gun with you! It does no good sitting in your gun cabinet, and it is not a fun feeling to know you are being hunted!! This experience gives me some serious respect for deer who live under incredible stress with cold hard winters and predators hunting them 24/7. Just my one experience was absolutely terrifying...imagine what these deer go through on a daily basis....Welcome to the Northwoods!

Nathan Nelson
Still Water Outdoors

Wow. I would have had to change py pants after getting back too truck for sure. I dont have a carry permit yet in delaware. But plan too. We dont have wolves but we have lots of coyotes and they when packed up can get really aggressive ive heard stories so. Dont forget your gun next time its our right to carry anyway. So take advantage of it. Be safe

Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:58 am

Okay - so that makes my snake post sound not as bad. I can outrun a snake ...at least on dry ground with a head start :lol:

Crazy story but thanks for taking time to share!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:24 am

Coyotes, bobcats, and black bear roam here in Pa. I am definitely more fearful of crazy humans. Wolves don't chill my spine nearly as much as cougars. The attitude difference between pet dogs and cats is the driving force behind my fear of cougars. You can own a dog be it's alpha, but you seldom see a cat who has an owner. They more so coexist with their people.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:06 am

Wow crazy :shock: !, glad you guys made it out ok. I’m happy that I can go into the woods and not worry about that :P .
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:08 am

Glad you and your dog are OK. :shock:

Now go get your pistol, check it and clean it ! Then take each of the rounds and make sure they are clean too. A clean pistol/gun is a happy pistol, esp.when you have to defend yourself .. WOW..
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:53 am

Maybe I missed but what state was this in?

Interesting how your dog's instincts kicked in like that.

Cool story, thanks.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:41 am

Come on man. Guns are bad and wolves are cuddly.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:51 am

About 15 years ago while late season bowhunting up in NW Vilas County I had a pack follow me out of the woods after dark. They never got closer than 20 yards but since I was only carrying my bow it made for a but puckering experience. Pretty happy to see my truck after a pretty long hike. On my way in that day I saw fresh wolf tracks in the snow all over the area. Didn't think much of it because it's very common. A few years later while snowmobiling in the same general area I had a HUGE pure black wolf jump across the trail. When you see a big one like that there is no doubt in your mind they are pure killing machines. I carry every time now. Pretty dumb not to.
Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:37 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:Scary experience for sure! I think an experience like that might happen to me in my set of bigwoods when I bring my dog with. So I’m hesitant to bring her with. Glad it all worked out alright for you.

What area of Wisconsin are you from? I am Douglas county, might not be too far from you!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:47 am

:shock: glad it ended in your favor. I gotta carry more often
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:13 am

Natenlsn2 wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:Scary experience for sure! I think an experience like that might happen to me in my set of bigwoods when I bring my dog with. So I’m hesitant to bring her with. Glad it all worked out alright for you.

What area of Wisconsin are you from? I am Douglas county, might not be too far from you!

I am in Lincoln and Oneida.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:37 am

Im glad delaware doesnt have all that crap. Id need my mommy to take me and pick me up from my stand lol
No on a srious note im glad i dont have to deal with that stuff at least not yet lol. Bears scare me the most
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:37 am

I don't know what wolves are like but have heard of dogs being followed in woods and attacked by coyotes during breeding season, which is now. Glad you and Leo are ok. Sounds like an exciting moment for sure!
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:56 pm

I have been carrying for many years up in Price / Sawyer co. Wisconsin , but mostly for squirrels and porcupines. Now days, down in S.E. WIs. I carry cause I see some very big dog or coy dog tracks and a dog is not as afraid and may be more dangerous. In all my years up north , I have yet to see a wolf ,bear or bobcat while scouting and only one bear while hunting. As for people, I have never been bothered. I did come across a person in the Flambeau River State Forest but that was in 1994 and have not see a hunter back there since 2009. If I see a wolf that does not run, I think it is a threat. Weather I tell the DNR, I'm not so sure I need to by constitutional law I dont have to incriminate against myself. ??? No? I think dogs are worse. When I was 12 , I got bit in the but real bad by a dog. I was so scared to deliver the paper ( paper boy) that I carried a softball size rock with me . It came out on the road so it was off it's property, It lunged at me again and threw the rock as hard as I could at it just in time for him to turn to dodge the rock, it hit him just behind the ear. It yelped real loud and stumbled away back home . A few days later , I heard that it had died. I din't say anything , and if anyone did see me throw a rock , I had teeth marks in my 12 yr old but to prove it was self defense. . .. and it hurt bad. The only other time I was attacked was ( dont laugh) was when I was checking the mail and a muskrat came after me . I jumped back and got out of there. It could have had rabies. A few minutes later the 22 LR took care of the problem. Now days I carry a gun, never know .
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:13 pm

ihookem wrote:I have been carrying for many years up in Price / Sawyer co. Wisconsin , but mostly for squirrels and porcupines. Now days, down in S.E. WIs. I carry cause I see some very big dog or coy dog tracks and a dog is not as afraid and may be more dangerous. In all my years up north , I have yet to see a wolf ,bear or bobcat while scouting and only one bear while hunting. As for people, I have never been bothered. I did come across a person in the Flambeau River State Forest but that was in 1994 and have not see a hunter back there since 2009. If I see a wolf that does not run, I think it is a threat. Weather I tell the DNR, I'm not so sure I need to by constitutional law I dont have to incriminate against myself. ??? No? I think dogs are worse. When I was 12 , I got bit in the but real bad by a dog. I was so scared to deliver the paper ( paper boy) that I carried a softball size rock with me . It came out on the road so it was off it's property, It lunged at me again and threw the rock as hard as I could at it just in time for him to turn to dodge the rock, it hit him just behind the ear. It yelped real loud and stumbled away back home . A few days later , I heard that it had died. I din't say anything , and if anyone did see me throw a rock , I had teeth marks in my 12 yr old but to prove it was self defense. . .. and it hurt bad. The only other time I was attacked was ( dont laugh) was when I was checking the mail and a muskrat came after me . I jumped back and got out of there. It could have had rabies. A few minutes later the 22 LR took care of the problem. Now days I carry a gun, never know .

My neighbor had a dog that bit multiple people. Wouldn’t do a thing about it and denied it since the dog might’ve weighed 20lbs. But bit enough to really damage some ankles. Draw blood and put a couple kids on crutches. So when the time came when the dog wanted to bite me when I got home from work I did the right thing.

Gave it the size 15 steel toe and punted it back across the street. Dog never left the yard again. I love dogs but bad owners can really ruin them
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”