What is your favorite Run and Gun Decoys

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

pilgrimhunter

What is your favorite Run and Gun Decoys

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:14 am

I am looking at getting some new decoys this year as my old inflatables are about shot... I am wanting something I can carry distance. Really considering Montana's Purrfect Pair. Any one have some input?

strutnrut716
500 Club

Re: What is your favorite Run and Gun Decoys

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 am

We have a pair of Montana Purrfect Decoys. They are great ! I especially like how they fold up and you can put them in your vest for transport.
They are a little pricey but definitely worth the money ! I've gone through many decoys over the years and these are the most realistic looking (for a more "reasonable" price).. I refuse to buy the decoys that are way over the top expensive.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 am

DSD. I look at it this way.....I will suck it up and deal with the size and extra weight, because I know I'm carrying super realistic decoys that will probably get the job done quicker than most other portable dekes.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:39 am

I love my DSD but if I were to totally run n gun the AvianX would be my go to. They're realistic and can take a little more beating than DSD. Granted if you bust a DSD they will fix them back to perfect.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:03 am

burkhart wrote:I ve never had a decoy work as well as dsd do at attracting and holding and turkeys.

The first gen decoys were hard plastic and did not take to shots well however newer versions are made of a rubber that can take a few shots

I had a gen 1 that dsd fixed holes in and repainted for nothing GREAT SERVICE

Heh that reminds me of a gen 1 I have. It fell off the shelf and hit concrete, the neck snapped off and everything from the wing butts up was in about 80 pieces... it was sad. I emailed DSD and they replied back saying send pics, I did and they pretty much said that wasn't fixable in that many pieces. I wasn't too sad but then the next day one of the repair guys emailed separately saying he heard about my issue over lunch and to send it in, he wanted the challenge. I did, he somehow welded it back together with hot rubber and plastic, sanded it down, dremeled it, and then gave her as upgraded hand paint job. Thing looks stupid good. They are THE BEST.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:01 pm

Yeah....their service is #1. Even my ACE material hen ended up "cracking" her neck awhile back. Sent it in to them and they completely reinforced the area and repainted. Looks as good as new to this day.
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:05 pm

Man guys. Those DSD's look nice but i was looking for something to run and gun with. I would think packing them any distance would be cumbersome....
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:00 pm

pilgrimhunter wrote:Man guys. Those DSD's look nice but i was looking for something to run and gun with. I would think packing them any distance would be cumbersome....

Decoy bag works great
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:03 am

Run and gun in the big woods, I have never felt the need for a decoy. But when I do use one on days I hunt private with fields I use a cheap old Styrofoam foldable that weighs nothing. Had a big 3 yr old gobbler come straight into it last year on public. I have never met anyone around here that hunts the woods and has any fancy decoys. Most people don't use one at all. Finding a gobbler in the right mood and good calling seems to be more important than a special decoy where I hunt.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:07 am

I agree completely. That just doesn't sound like run and gun hunting to me if you have multiple decoys setup and are waiting on multiple birds to come by. Run and gun to me is 5-10 miles through wooded mountains and constantly finding different birds (or no birds at all). I rarely sit for more than 30 minutes. We don't have many turkeys here in the mountains, so it is really a lot more running than gunning and it is rare that you are going to get into multiple birds or flocks and have to wait on multiple birds to go by.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:28 pm

I'm with brancher....my definition of running and gunning is similar. Big woods and often planning a loop that'll take me at least a few miles. Sometimes I complete the loop...other I find a loud mouth that strings me along...or vice versa lol.

I don't have time to carry decoys of any type....another issue is it's not uncommon for me to shock a bird I had no idea was there but I'm within stupid distance of and can't mess with a decoy setup or hide the decoy bags or whatever.

My last big woods bird was killed like that. Was beating feet to get to the only bird I could hear...he was WAY out the ridge. Hit the crow call to check his status and the woods erupted in gobbles just below me. I barely had time to sit down. Within a few minutes I had a few longbeards and a hen in my lap and they left 1 shy. When they gobbled, I started hunting for a setup and decent tree or log jam to sit in and spotted a hen working my way. She went behind a tree and I had to fall to the ground with nothing to lean on or hide behind.

Running n gunning in the big woods is all about the setup. I use the terrain to setup a scenario where he has to be within range if he wants a good look for the hen. Stay alert and on your toes. Ive had a few gimme that quick sneak and all I got was a glimpse of a head bobbing. Highly pressured wise birds...I have a sneaking feeling many of those birds will likely hang up on decoys because they've seen so many of them.

Just my thoughts. It's my favorite way to hunt. There's nothing like running ridges and striking up a hot one.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:15 pm

^ Agree. In a big woods setting dekes are not necessary.....calling and setup are the most critical for success.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:40 am

Agree, don't need decoys much for run and gun in woods. Just set up where you can ambush them as they take the path of least resistance through the area. Dekes are more effective for catching birds coming off the roost, in staging areas and field edges. They give the gobblers something to catch their eye from far off. Then they focus on it while they come in. Makes for a great show. Lots of times the gobblers are coming off the roost with a few hens so they don't give your decoy much attention. Usually the Jake's will come in to it after the boss goes through.

Forgot to add the I like the avian x dekes. They are not bad to lug around through the woods, and they look great and hold up well. I usually set up first light on a staging area off a roost with the deke out about 10to 15 yards facing me. If nothing after the first hour or so I'll start running and gunning just lugging the deke around and stashing it behind a tree as i get settled after a response.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”