Do you downsize your standards ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Babshaft
500 Club

Re: Do you downsize your standards ?

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:21 am

elk yinzer wrote:I just like to hunt but there is definitely some hunting "game theory" that goes into it, especially living in a one-buck state with a short archery season. I find my standards shift (lower) a good bit as the season goes on. They also tend to shift at the sight of a borderline buck, haha. It's kind of like picking up chicks at the bar/club scene. A dude's standards at 10 PM aren't quite the same a few hours later.

Hahahahaha awesome. I've got the same mentality. As the season gets older and it gets colder, I'll settle for a swamp donkey...

..we're still talking about bars right? lol

Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:19 am

I have 3 bucks on the wall. My first which was a small 7 point. A 125 10 point and a 155 13 point. And to be 100% honest its hard for me to pass on almost any deer. But I manage to hold off and wait for something bigger. I would shoot pretty much any mature buck unless I had a good reason to believe I would have a good chance at something bigger. My goal is to take down those old bucks even if they are just a heavy scrub rack. Its more about taking down the old beast for me.
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:47 am

Can’t downsize what I don’t have :mrgreen:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:08 pm

After finally getting to wrap a tag on a deer this year, a young 9 point, my goal for the rest of pre rut and rut was a 3.5 yo with a little bit of mass. Six days after I shot the 9 I had a 10 that could have been a near match for the the 9 in size at 7 yards, and passed.
After the rut, my standard went back to any buck of at least a couple years old for the freezer (as of now I pass on post rut does). I ended with that second tag in my pocket, but I'm glad I passed still, since it allowed me to keep hunting through the season.
As of now the plan is the same for '18, a meat deer early season, a big boy during rut, and any decent freezer filling buck late season.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:30 pm

We get two buck tags in Michigan. First tag I want something in the100” range. Second tag I raise it for something better. Why I only fill both tags about once every 4 years. I usually don’t have multiple pope and Young’s running around. Most I had was 3 this year in one area and I shot one of them.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:00 pm

Jonny wrote:Can’t downsize what I don’t have :mrgreen:

Me too i agree
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:36 pm

No, I don't downsize my standards. If I did wouldn't that be the same as having no standards :think: I am a whitetail junky, some jump out of planes others snort lines of white powder for a feeling I get sitting in my perch watching a plan unfold.

As years rolled by guess I'm no diff than the rest of the junkies, I'm chasing that first high. Which takes a fairly descent animal to quinch my thirst. This is not only based on inches however, sometimes it's just the moment at hand that scratches the itch. I am a sucker for a buck crossing a creek on a cold morning with steam pouring off his back! Also busted racks don't concern me, I feel they add to the tale.

For myself just shooting a young buck for the sake of just not having to eat tag soup does nothing but make me feel I cheated myself out of a feeling of accomplishment. Not only that but I just made the following year harder by shooting this young one. I like fresh venison as much as anyone, but I'm not gonna starve to death if I don't shoot something. If my only concern was meat I would raise afew steers, I believe it would be cheaper provide more meat and leave me more free time to do something else.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:20 am

Its easy to daydream and set a standard but in the moment I have a hard time judging inches. If I am lucky enough to have a buck in range its either yes or no. If there is any hesitation in my decision making the choice has been made for me because of it.
The thought of bigger is better crosses my mind, but I wouldn't hesitate to take a "smaller than" my biggest bucks. Dan said recently in the 2017 review video that goals change, year to year and maybe week to week or even day to day.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:41 am

I view standards and goals differently. Standards will never be downsized for me. To me, I have standards to be an ethical, lawbidding hunter and help other hunters along the way. Also, I have a standard to always have fun and enjoy the journey. However, my goals are flexible. My goals depend on where I am hunting, the potential for the areas, and adjustments to anything else that I may encounter throughout the season.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:22 am

Too many variables to say. Public vs. private, how much time do I have in a given year, how much meat do I have stockpiled, what are the circumstances of the hunt, what is in the area, how many tags do I have left, how far in the marsh am I... I go into each sit with an idea of what I'm after and usually stick to that,but I've had days where I was just after any deer and ended up letting young bucks go, and days where I was set on a mature buck and stuck a 2.5 year old. For me personally, setting an immovable standard would take the enjoyment out of it. That said, if I had one buck tag per year, I'd be more predisposed to do that.
Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:35 am

Net Guy wrote:I view standards and goals differently. Standards will never be downsized for me. To me, I have standards to be an ethical, lawbidding hunter and help other hunters along the way. Also, I have a standard to always have fun and enjoy the journey. However, my goals are flexible. My goals depend on where I am hunting, the potential for the areas, and adjustments to anything else that I may encounter throughout the season.

Nicely put.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:43 am

Buckinator wrote:
Net Guy wrote:I view standards and goals differently. Standards will never be downsized for me. To me, I have standards to be an ethical, lawbidding hunter and help other hunters along the way. Also, I have a standard to always have fun and enjoy the journey. However, my goals are flexible. My goals depend on where I am hunting, the potential for the areas, and adjustments to anything else that I may encounter throughout the season.

Nicely put.

2X I'll add that if the freezer is low I'm more worried about that than antlers.
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:02 am

I know what is good for my area. So for me 120 inch or above I will shoot if I have a good shot. I was lucky enough to kill a 165 incher this year. Next year a 125 incher comes by opening day I'm shooting....
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:22 am

muskieman wrote:I know what is good for my area. So for me 120 inch or above I will shoot if I have a good shot. I was lucky enough to kill a 165 incher this year. Next year a 125 incher comes by opening day I'm shooting....

I just wanna have the opportunity to see bucks 125 or bigger. Thinking back now I really dont think ive ever seen one that big i hope i start this season
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:59 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
muskieman wrote:I know what is good for my area. So for me 120 inch or above I will shoot if I have a good shot. I was lucky enough to kill a 165 incher this year. Next year a 125 incher comes by opening day I'm shooting....

I just wanna have the opportunity to see bucks 125 or bigger. Thinking back now I really dont think ive ever seen one that big i hope i start this season

I'm in the same boat as you lads (minus the 165 incher last year lol...congrats!). If I see a 125 I'll be letting her fly if I get the opportunity!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”