Advice on how to set up on a specific evening hunt

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Derril Glen
Facebook: Derril Glen Blanchard

Advice on how to set up on a specific evening hunt

Unread postby Derril Glen » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:44 am

I'm trying to get some advice on hunting a area that I think has a buck bedded down in. This past weekend our squirrel season opened and every year I try to find places that a squirrel hunter want go and I found a overlooked area that I've even overlooked because how thick it is. I've never scouted the area so I was going in blind. I was trying to map out my route where I would have the easiest path and not have to fight my way threw the small 4ft pine saplings which was impossible because they where everywhere. So I just start easing threw nice and easy. I probably made it 30-40 yrds i hear i deer get up and run then i heard another one. So I turn a little and walk toward another spot and In the middle of them saplings I found a bald spot probably a 10x10 area that was obvious bedding I'm guessing doe bedding because you could tell it's more then one deer and it was full of hair. You could also see there trail. I turned around and started to get out of there so I could regroup and jumped up 2 more and since its thick I couldn't tell what any of them was. I was trying to make it to a bottom so I could walk the transition and use the bottom to navigate but since I jumped up so many deer I got out of there but I'm thinking them beds where satelite beds and its probably a monster bedded up in that area. 2 days later I had the wind I wanted to try to get back in there I had to walk close to a mile to walk around everything and get to that bottom undetected so I could walk the transition. I found a decent spot hunted it and didn't see nothing. At around 10:30 am the wind shifted and I got down. I had to walk out a different way that I came in because of the wind change so I had to walk through the bottom a little more I was using a dry creek to navigate and I walked around 100yrds and saw a rub right at the transition line 40yrds away from me. It was a tree about 6in diameter and the rub stopped probably at my chest so I know its probably a mature animal. I walked down the creek a little more and saw tracks in the creek heading that way then I noticed a trail clear as day obvious deer trail heading the direction of the rub and could see where the trail goes up the hill. I'm hoping I didn't mess that area up walking threw there but I was in the bottom in the creek far enough back I think. Hopefully I didn't mess it up. But what would be the best way to hunt that buck Its definitely gonna be a evening hunt. Should I stay towards the bottom of the hill right off the transition or should I try to get up the hill a little bit or should I try to ease in and hunt the military Crest. I'm thinking I'm gonna stay towards the bottom and only go up hill just a little. How would yal hunt that area I only get one chance so I'm curious how other beasties would hunt it

Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows, and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Genesis 27:3
backstraps

Re: Advice on how to set up on a specific evening hunt

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:01 am

If you could safely post an aerial and topo without giving up you location you will probably receive more and better information
Derril Glen
Facebook: Derril Glen Blanchard

Unread postby Derril Glen » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:01 am

backstraps wrote:If you could safely post an aerial and topo without giving up you location you will probably receive more and better information

Ok I'll try to figure out how to send pictures on here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows, and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Genesis 27:3
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:38 am

Could you explain exactly what your symbols are representing on the map?
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”