Squirrel hunting.

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

Squirrel hunting.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:48 am

While it isn't that same as deer season I treat it much the same. Since I own my own hunting property and am in the woods just about every day I know where to find squirrels and where deer are likely to show for that matter.

Decide to hunt squirrels in the morning so get up early check the weather station and lay out my clothing, them make breakfast. Breakfast is different on hunting days, rather than a dry cerceal with milk I make some thing with eggs.

I like to dump a can of hominy in a skillet, lay strips of bacon on top and cover, break about 4 eggs in a bowl and beat them then uncover the skillet. the bacon is now cooked about how I like it so pour the beaten eggs in the skillet covering again. While it is cooking I make tea, when that is finished so is my breakfast.
That is my hominy bacon egg scramble.

It is about 15 minutes till day break so I dress according to the temp on the weather station. don't worry about thr day time high because I don't expect to be out over 2 hours max includeing squirrel cleaning time.

Grab the rifle I am going to use this morning a scoped 22 rim fire or center fire since 22rim fire ammo has gotten in short supply and pricy.
Go out and get in my deer blind, yes the deer blind where I set in November fire arm deer hunting and see so may squirrels and the season is closed then.

Squirrels in my woods get active about a half hour after sun rise. Then disappear some time around 10:00 to 11:00 AM then return to active in the afternoon some where around 4:00PM.
Most days I can have my 5 squirrel limit in a hours.

:D Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Re: Squirrel hunting.

Unread postby KRONIIK » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:34 pm

I enjoyed your post.
Show me a good squirrel hunter, and I'll show you a good HUNTER!
I grew up knocking them out of hickory trees, and Mom sure know how to cook them!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:54 pm

I haven't been out in year's for them. This post has given me the itch to get out and go. Thanks
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:22 am

Made a little pass on some tree rats the other day. As much as I like to deer hunt it’s nice sometimes to take it a little easier every once in a while.

Caught a few catfish with the hearts and livers to put in the freezer too.

alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:37 am

Way I look at it spending time in the deer blind for squirrels is sort of scouting.

gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:06 pm

I always try to make it out 1-2 times/year. It’s enjoyable for sure. I would like to give it a go on public land, but the spots where I tend to see the most squirrels, I tend to see deer, so I’d rather leave those alone for bow season. I guess I need more deer spots so some of my iffy spots can be downgraded to squirrel spots.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:40 pm

Here in Michigan Squirrel season starts Sept 15th goes to Nov 14th is closed till Dec 1st when it opens again till the end of March. Lots of time to do in a bunch of squirrels in the deer woods.

alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:40 pm

Here in Michigan Squirrel season starts Sept 15th goes to Nov 14th is closed till Dec 1st when it opens again till the end of March. Lots of time to do in a bunch of squirrels in the deer woods.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:10 pm

I had a sit for deer this season where I was overrun by squirrel. About a dozen in a 50 yard circle.
Even though I have never hunted squirrel, that day convinced me I should. :twisted:
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:55 am

I say go for it.

The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:02 am

justdirtyfun wrote:I had a sit for deer this season where I was overrun by squirrel. About a dozen in a 50 yard circle.
Even though I have never hunted squirrel, that day convinced me I should. :twisted:

The problem I have is that I seem to drive away the animals I'm hunting. Squirrel season is open for about 2 weeks past our deer season here. So when I went out to hunt squirrels I saw 2 does and a small flock of turkeys but no squirrels that time. :angry-banghead: :lol:
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:33 am

Whats a easy squirrel recipe youd share?
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:00 pm

Clean squirrel cut into parts, wrap the parts in bacon and bake in the oven till done.
that is the quick version.

Bperdue21

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:47 pm

I put the squirrels in a crockpot until they are about ready to fall apart. Cut or pull the legs, arms and back sections off. Melt some butter into a frying pan. Roll the squirrel pieces in seasoned flour and fry. I like to put texas pete on them too. You can also make gravy but my kid eats them as fast as i can get them fried.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:20 pm

RDubs44 wrote:Whats a easy squirrel recipe youd share?

Here's a podcast about squirrel cooking. If you ever get to go to a squirrel cook off it's really neat to see the things ppl come up with. It's been in Bentonville Arkansas but don't know if they do it anywhere else.

https://www.facebook.com/42524691085659 ... /?sfnsn=mo

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”