DIY Colorado elk archery hunt equipment?

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vtbuck
500 Club

Re: DIY Colorado elk archery hunt equipment?

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:39 pm

I’m looking at buying a Mystery Ranch Pintler backpack.
Does anyone have one and what do you think of it?

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:15 am

After my Colorado adventure - have some good base layers. Your outer layer just needs to be water-proof/windproof. You can either wear a heavier inner layer or a 2nd inner layer to beat the cold & snow you may encounter. Plus a pair of long johns is pretty light comparatively.

Get good socks to go with your good boots. I've been using Cabelas Ultimax. They are great and help keep the feet warm too.

One more comment on boots - I have Pronghorn boots uninsulated and they work great until it gets too cold (25 degrees or less in the snow). My backup boots were Gander Mtn 400 gr insulation boots and they kept me good hunting in the snow with temps in the teens with 20 mph winds. Same socks for both.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:05 am

Call recommendations?
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:38 am

vtbuck wrote:Call recommendations?

Ever used one before? I started with a Primos 4 pack and two only seemed to work for me. Couldn't get consistent sounds with the others.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:40 am

vtbuck wrote:Call recommendations?

I got 4 diaphrams from Phelps. You probably need to get a few to figure out which ones fit your mouth. Also don't skimp on a good external reed cow call. I did and it sounded awful compared to my buddies with a wood bell on it. As far a bugle tube, I had the small Phelps and my buddy had on from Rocky Mountain Elk Calls. Both sounded good. The elk were real quiet when we were out there, knowing this now, I'd practice more with cow sounds than focusing on bugles.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:02 pm

MR packs are well built. They will do everything you need. The only down side is weight. They are heavy but the construction and performance leads to that.
Calls are just like turkey diaphragms. You have try them to know what you like. Phelps, wapiti river, primos, Rocky Mountain and Carlton are a few of my favorites. I really like the Phelps tube but the Rocky Mountain tubes are good as well. Check Walmart for the Carlton call pack with dvd/cd. It’s a good place to start. Also throw in a bite call or two. Sounding different is always good. I would also highly recommend elknut’s play book. It will make sense of the calls.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:57 pm

Pulled the trigger tonight on a pack.
Bought the Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45.
Couldn’t beat the price. $350 tax included.
Looked at some Danner Pronghorn 400g boots.
Been keeping my eye on prices on Jetboils, tents, sleeping bags, pads, etc..
The suggestions on gear so far have been a huge help. Thanks and keep the info coming.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:28 am

Good pack. For tents, look at the Nemo hornet, Big Agnus tiger wall and Big Agnus Copper Spur. Boot are personal but I don’t use insulation for archery season. Again, that’s a personal choice. The marmot never summer sleeping bag and Exped down 7 mat would be a great system.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:10 am

As far as tents go, I have a hard time understanding what makes some of these packable floorless tents worth hundreds (sometimes thousand) of dollars. It's ridiculous.

Check out the "river country trekker tent" on amazon. It props up with two sticks and it's $50. Get two if you need more space :lol:
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:39 am

I don't think an eastern whitetail hunter that goes west to backpack hunt at best 1 week a year necessarily has to have all of the nicest or most bombproof gear, but I personally wouldn't choose my shelter as a primary item to skimp on.
Not all those who wander are lost...
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:23 pm

I agree with skimping on the shelter and your sleep system for that matter. Big Agnus usually has some good deals in the clearance section. The REI garage sale is good too.
The floorless shelters have a ton of material expense. Kifaru’s material is American made is is crazy strong. There isn’t anything else like what they make. Jimmy Tarps and VIam Outdoors make some nice stuff that is a bit more affordable.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:46 am

jwilkstn wrote:I don't think an eastern whitetail hunter that goes west to backpack hunt at best 1 week a year necessarily has to have all of the nicest or most bombproof gear, but I personally wouldn't choose my shelter as a primary item to skimp on.

Price alone isn’t always the best indicator of quality or utility. After hunting Wyoming for a number of years, and sleeping in a thousand dollar tent and a fifty dollar tent, I have a hard time understanding the appeal of the more expensive option. I think part of the appeal for some is having “the best” brands.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:42 pm

I’m looking at the Northface Stormfront 2 for a tent. Good reviews and at $159 it’s hard to beat
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:56 am

vtbuck wrote:I’m looking at the Northface Stormfront 2 for a tent. Good reviews and at $159 it’s hard to beat

I've used it for years in the ADKs, good tent. Perfect for 1 guy and gear inside. Two people is fine but gear has to go in the vestibules.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:31 am

That tent is almost 6#. Mountain Steals has it for $110 but that is a brutal weight to carry.

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collecti ... -outfitter

There are options that your back will like a lot more. Tarptent is another fantastic shelter. There are a ton that don’t weigh a ton.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”