Beast Style Ultralight Pond Hopping

• Advertisement

HB Store

MajorDigglesworth

Beast Style Ultralight Pond Hopping

Unread postby MajorDigglesworth » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:24 pm

Who else here enjoys chasing panfish with ultralight gear? I'm very fortunate to have several small river-linked ponds very close to home. I usually pack a messenger bag (may switch to a back pack) in which I keep several tackle trays with jigheads and plastics, slip bobbers and rigging supplies, crankbaits, topwaters, and spinners/crappie spins (sadly said ponds don't have crappie), plus a couple of tools. Unbelievable fun when they're aggressive, and they can be surprisingly large for my neck of the woods. Not monsters, but dang fun drag pullers. These are the same bodies of water I used to fish by foot in HS for bass, pickerel, and some MOOSE of bluegill, back when people were still allowed to feed the ducks and geese. The bluegill would gorge themselves on the bread that was missed by the waterfowl.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Beast Style Ultralight Pond Hopping

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:30 am

I’m addicted to chasing fish with ultra light gear. Although ponds here are not really worth a flip anymore due to going dry every few years. I absolutely love wade fishing for crappie in the shallows. A 10’ ultra light fly rod with 8” of line hanging down. What a thump! To add to the satisfaction I tie my own feather jigs. Pure bliss for me, and from late feb til May I do it everyday. Can’t wait :L:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:53 am

Come on up to NH for some hard water fishing - ice fishing.
Some light jig sticks - n having a 3-4 pound pickeral or 5 pound bass latch on is exhilarating !
Big fun...!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:51 am

I hop all around the shores of a big pond called Lake Michigan. Used to hammer walleye and panfish as a kid but I can’t hardly buy those fish nowadays :think:
So Fly rod, and carp feeding on crayfish and gobies on the flats! I never bone fished but they say the style between the two is one in the same. It’s a riot but hard to get bit. When you do you will be wondering if there’s enough line on your reel.

Maybe an 8wt fly rod isn’t ultra light :oops: sure feels like it sometimes though!
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
MajorDigglesworth

Unread postby MajorDigglesworth » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:32 pm

Ed, I might take you up on that ice trip!

I can't wait until spring... although I'm sure that the bluegill will bite from show this time of year, just as long as I pick the right area. I'm hoping to hear a drag sing!

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”