How do you handle the miss?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

raisins

Re: How do you handle the miss?

Unread postby raisins » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:56 am

Clean misses barely phase me. A hit that makes an animal suffer will haunt me for days though. I only handle that by letting time pass. Thankfully that hasn't happened in years.

jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:13 am

J porcello I bet your glad I missed that doe the other weekend. Having to wade through chest deep water to get to stand makes a miss a lot more manageable.
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:38 am

jbone23 wrote:J porcello I bet your glad I missed that doe the other weekend. Having to wade through chest deep water to get to stand makes a miss a lot more manageable.

Lol. No I really wanted you to shoot one. Honestly probably could have floated it through the water to the other side and cleaned it there. Also wading through chest high water to get to my stand made feel like I’v learned a few things from Dan
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
dannyboy

Unread postby dannyboy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:05 am

dannyboy wrote:Just happened to me. After having a real slow season, I had one of those epic hunts that don't come along often; especially for a trophy buck in Bama. Got excited and drew as he was going through brush. As I was swinging bow waiting for him to come out the other side, I inadvertently put my finger on top of the trigger and from the movement of the bow the dern release went off , shooting 3 feet behind him as he cleared through. It's not the same when you're holding steady on a stationary target. Anyhow, after he jumped, he calmed down and started walking again but by the time I got another arrow nocked, he was out of my shooting lanes. Don't think he has a clue I was there as my wind was good. The rut is just now cranking up in central Alabama and maybe with a little luck I may get another chance. I was 25 yards and some of my buddies tell me I should be rifle hunting like them this time of year but that would be a gimme putt in golf and it's just not the same challenge and excitement as bow hunting is even though it I didn't get it done

Got a second chance! I moved about 300 yards deeper in swamp and ran into him again mid morning. Came in walking through water and was finally able to get him to commit to my grunt call from 50 yards n a string straight towards me. He pulled up at 15 yards and got a slight whiff of me. He started to move off and when he got broadside at 25 yards it was now or never. I had a shot the size of a volleyball and let it fly. Wasn't sure I made the hit until I saw the arrow. Found him 140 yards away and had help thank goodness dragging him out of the swamp. Not quite as big as I thought as my eyes get a little excited in the tree but still a good Alabama swamp buck and one I'm proud of
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:46 am

dannyboy wrote:
dannyboy wrote:Just happened to me. After having a real slow season, I had one of those epic hunts that don't come along often; especially for a trophy buck in Bama. Got excited and drew as he was going through brush. As I was swinging bow waiting for him to come out the other side, I inadvertently put my finger on top of the trigger and from the movement of the bow the dern release went off , shooting 3 feet behind him as he cleared through. It's not the same when you're holding steady on a stationary target. Anyhow, after he jumped, he calmed down and started walking again but by the time I got another arrow nocked, he was out of my shooting lanes. Don't think he has a clue I was there as my wind was good. The rut is just now cranking up in central Alabama and maybe with a little luck I may get another chance. I was 25 yards and some of my buddies tell me I should be rifle hunting like them this time of year but that would be a gimme putt in golf and it's just not the same challenge and excitement as bow hunting is even though it I didn't get it done

Got a second chance! I moved about 300 yards deeper in swamp and ran into him again mid morning. Came in walking through water and was finally able to get him to commit to my grunt call from 50 yards n a string straight towards me. He pulled up at 15 yards and got a slight whiff of me. He started to move off and when he got broadside at 25 yards it was now or never. I had a shot the size of a volleyball and let it fly. Wasn't sure I made the hit until I saw the arrow. Found him 140 yards away and had help thank goodness dragging him out of the swamp. Not quite as big as I thought as my eyes get a little excited in the tree but still a good Alabama swamp buck and one I'm proud of

Glad you stayed with it. Great buck
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:47 am

For better or worse I’m not the type of person who handles a miss well. I remember every single miss since age 12. The exact location, the weapon, where the deer ran and so on. They taunt me throughout time, but make me work harder. This year I shot a buck that I missed the previous year. Waited for same wind and eventually got him from the same bed.

If only I were this persistent in all aspects of life! Haha.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:49 am

dannyboy wrote:

Nice buck Danny!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:48 am

A very successful alligator hunter once told me “Sometimes it ain’t their time”

Misses happen. Analyze, Understand, Adjust and Practice. Even then, there’s many factors outside our control.

Now bad hits... Will haunt you.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
dannyboy

Unread postby dannyboy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:37 am

checkerfred wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

Nice buck Danny!

Thanks Checker ! We southern fellas have to stick together lol
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:34 pm

missed a nice 10 pt Oct 9, watched him get up in the swamp & come in, clean missed him, at 40 yards. No big deal, now I get to keep hunting. Waited for the correct wind & shot soem deer in other places. Moved in Nov 9 I think. Saw 21 deer that day & passed 3 bucks. Had the 10 come thru at 11am behind me & no shot, still ok. Got a quick lunch & back in tree at 1:30. Had him come off the ridge at closing time & killed him at 30 yards. Never give up, dont worry about misses. I hear guys tell me all the time that they never miss or have only missed 1 or 2. I say BS, if you have been in this game a while you know they are either lying or havent killed many. I just laugh *& say ok, Mike

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”