Help understanding this setup/terrain?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thomasj1107

Help understanding this setup/terrain?

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:39 pm

So I went in and hunted this spot for the first time tonight. It’s public along a creek/swamp and north of it has those two 3-4 year old cutovers. Where I was sitting at the red X was an oak bottom, and the yellow stuff is all cattails/marsh. I came in from the East because that is the only place I could come in, and the wind was coming out of the north because I was expecting that they would come down out of these cutovers to feed down by the oaks, but I didn’t see a thing and I don’t understand how to best go about hunting it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mossberg90MN

Re: Help understanding this setup/terrain?

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:06 pm

Here’s what I do in a situation like this.

1) I find we’re most of the runways from the cut overs intersect in 1 or 2 spots.

2) I also. More importantly try to find fresh dropping along the trail. If I can find some fresh droppings in one of the runways then that gives you a good starting point.

Sometimes there not there, or they decided to hold up until night. If I don’t find fresh sign then I wouldn’t really spend time on it.
Mossberg90MN

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:07 pm

Try your plan in reverse. They may be in the cat tails and the head over to the cut overs for food.
Thomasj1107

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:40 pm

Mossberg90MN wrote:Here’s what I do in a situation like this.

1) I find we’re most of the runways from the cut overs intersect in 1 or 2 spots.

2) I also. More importantly try to find fresh dropping along the trail. If I can find some fresh droppings in one of the runways then that gives you a good starting point.

Sometimes there not there, or they decided to hold up until night. If I don’t find fresh sign then I wouldn’t really spend time on it.

Runways from the cutovers?
Mossberg90MN

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:02 pm

Yea, I would look for deer trails leaving the cut over and see where they all kinda come together in 1 spot.

It looks like where you were at was probably somewhat close to where those trail converge. I would try to find that spot.
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:06 am

Hard to see the terrain in that picture but one thing I do see is a body of water. I'd use that water to my advantage. I know its not in that classic looking funnel of timber your hunting but mature bucks could be using that waters edge for safety to cruise with the wind in their face or quartering. Crossing the main travel trails and downwind of doe bedding. Set up so your scent is blowing in to the water.

Biggest challenge looks like access. Getting in there with the right wind direction without blowing things out. With the East entry, I would wait for a solid West wind but all of that is relative to knowing where the deer prefer to bed or where they would be feeding when you make entry.

Don't think you could go wrong hunting edges either. You have multiple habitat edges in that area and several locations where (3) come together.
Shoot Straight
Thomasj1107

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:29 am

That is essentially what I did, hunt a north/northwest wind. Problem is I don’t know if they are coming out of these cattails or out of the cutovers. Do does bed in the cattails as well?
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:21 am

Thomasj1107 wrote: Do does bed in the cattails as well?

Yes they do.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:56 am

Did you scout for fresh sign or more importantly, hunter sign before setting up? Hunter pressure could of made them abandon the area, or go nocturnal and hold up in there until after dark. I've noticed that in my area with similar terrain.

I would try it in the morning though and see what happens. Stay close to the marsh when you access and when you set up. but if there isn't fresh sign or a well defined runway with fresh tracks, its a crap shoot. good thing with hunting the morning is you can always scout afterwards. if there is no fresh sign- I would move to another area.
Thomasj1107

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:01 am

MichiganMike wrote:Did you scout for fresh sign or more importantly, hunter sign before setting up? Hunter pressure could of made them abandon the area, or go nocturnal and hold up in there until after dark. I've noticed that in my area with similar terrain.

I would try it in the morning though and see what happens. Stay close to the marsh when you access and when you set up. but if there isn't fresh sign or a well defined runway with fresh tracks, its a crap shoot. good thing with hunting the morning is you can always scout afterwards. if there is no fresh sign- I would move to another area.

So I sat the morning with wind coming straight from the north. Saw one spike at sunrise going from one cutover to the other, then the wind picked up something fierce and I didn’t see anything else. Scouted after and saw tons of tracks coming from every which way, some assorted scrapes and rubs, but they are all along the trail/transition BETWEEN the cattails and cutover, so idk if this is all night activity, idk how to hunt this when I can only access from the one way
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:19 am

You spend some time figuring it out and you'll have a spot for next year. You get one or two or three hunts with one access. Pick your times wisely and won;t need another hunt.

That's why these guys have so many spots for diff winds, diff times of the year, etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”