Climbing methods

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Climbing methods

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:10 am

I did some video last year before putting up my gear to compare climbing methods. I mainly did this for guys who say hang-ons are difficult to hang & take longer than climbers, but after reading bowhunter15's post figure some of you hang-on guys may pickup something that helps you.

I did three video's using the following gear - Summit open shot climber, Loc-On Limit, LW sticks, & Alpine BOD rock climbing harness. All methods take around 5 mins & I climbed to around 20'. I forgot to film the climber setup but it takes at least 2-3mins. Also as you can see the stick methods are much quieter.

Three sticks & Limit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeEHzLTtTlM

One stick & Limit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NcroPLbzPc

Open Shot Climber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzzQgLiYOTg

Brad

Re: Climbing methods

Unread postby Brad » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:01 am

I am impressed, tell us more about that rock climbing aid that allowed you to use one stick? How much, where do you find it etc? I imagine it takes some time to learn how to use, but I would love to pick one up and try it now before season. Also, how dis you make the black strap hanging off your lw sticks?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:49 am

Good videos. It looks like you have alot of confidence in your equipment. That can make a big difference. I think people try to be to careful during setup, which is good, but then you sacrifice time in doing so.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:00 am

Brad wrote:I am impressed, tell us more about that rock climbing aid that allowed you to use one stick? How much, where do you find it etc? I imagine it takes some time to learn how to use, but I would love to pick one up and try it now before season. Also, how dis you make the black strap hanging off your lw sticks?

I use an Alpine BOD rock climbing harness made by Black Diamond. This is also my safety harness. It's light, small, allows free range of motion to shoot, cheap, & safe. There has been much debate & many topics on AT about using rock climbing harness vs full body harnesses. I won't get into all that, but let me say I've been using the BOD for 2 1/2 years now & personally don't believe they make a better, safer harness. I've turn a lot of people onto this style harness & have yet to have one person try it that didn't end up buying one.

Rock climbing harnesses can be purchased at any mountain climbing type store. I got my harness from REI, but now use mountaingear.com for all my purchases. The harnesses are normally $35 - $40. You will also need a rope tree strap. HSS makes a unit already put together & ready to use for around $25. I prefer to buy rope & carabiners & make my own. These supplies can also be purchased at mountain gear & normally run $30-$40 depending on the type.

I add a linemen's belt to my harness & recommend doing so as it greatly helps in hanging sticks & stand. I make this from 1" climbing spec tubular webbing.

The harness takes 30 seconds to put on & the 1st time I used it to climbing with one stick it took about 8mins to get 20'. Check out my youtube my son videoed my 1st try. If you are currently using LW sticks or really any sticks the learning curve is next to nothing. I've been using the one stick method now for 1 1/2 seasons & it's the only way I climb useless hunting with my 9 yr old.

The strap off the bottom of my stick is a trauma suspension relief strap from an old safety vest. You can make one from the 1" webbing mentioned above.

Anybody needing help just shoot me a pm & I'll be glad to help.
cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:17 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Good videos. It looks like you have alot of confidence in your equipment. That can make a big difference. I think people try to be to careful during setup, which is good, but then you sacrifice time in doing so.

I tested the harness pretty thoroughly. I slid out of a stand on purpose, turned upside down, had a few accidental slips, & climbed countless trees. I know the harness is going to work, & I make sure to inspect my harness, ropes, & gear often. I tell people all the time to test out the harness so they know what's going to happen in a fall instead of finding out a mile deep in the woods with no help around.

Once had a guy tell me "testing a safety harness is as stupid as testing a bullet proof jacket." Told him I've never worn a bullet proof vest, but you can bet if a need one it'll have a round shot into before I put it on.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:35 am

Why the heck didn't I think of carrying an S hook like that with me for dropped gear!!!!

The 1 stick method looks interesting, is it annoying climbing that way in hot weather?
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:03 am

I didn't think of it either bro, but sure glad someone showed me!!!! By the way I use the hook off a bunge cord & put heat shrink over it.

It takes the same effort as climbing with multiple sticks or a climber. You'll work up a good sweat in the early season, but you know you can work up a good sweat that time of year sitting in the shade down here!!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:23 am

Very cool.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks for putting it together!

I can say you are way louder than I w/your Open Shot...
Are you trying to sell Lone Wolf or something (LOL)?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:48 am

Na I don't sell LW or have a sponsorship. It'd be nice if I did!!!! Wasn't trying to be quit with any method & I'm way out of practice with the climber.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:08 am

Never seen anything like your one-stick method. Would be very useful if you have to hike a ways back or are just out walking a scouting and want to drop the weight by only carrying one stick. Looks like you have a lot of things figured out! I am for sure putting one of those steel strap hooks on the end of my pull-up rope. Bookmarked thread for sure
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Nice work :clap:
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks,cbigbear...

One question about the harness - how do they size? Larger? VERY larger?

I'm an arborist and climb with a noise,heavy climbing saddle for work. I have never liked the full body harnesses sold for hunting,. That Black Diamond BOD saddle looks sweet.

I'd get a large except for wonderin' how it fits over heavier clothing.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Gibby wrote:Nice work :clap:

X2 Very impressive!

huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Did you sew in your own D riggings to attach your linemans strap to? That's really the only thing that's held me back from using a rock climbing harness.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”