Favorite terrain feature?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SEMObowhunter

Favorite terrain feature?

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:48 am

Just wondering what everyone's favorite terrain feature is? I'm a public land hill Hunter from southeast Missouri and seem to have my best luck hunting saddles in ridgelines. I like them better if there is thick bedding cover in close proximity, like a clearcut for instance. My next favorite is the middle point which falls right into the head of a long holler. Bucks seem to gravitate to these and cross the ridge on either side of this point. Which is normally a saddle. So the two go hand in hand sort of. I don't have much experience with river bottom, ag, or swamp/marsh hunting. I have done some hunting in northwest mo in Atchison county, about a quarter mile south of the Iowa line. Really like the rolling hills and it's amazing how deer can hide in such open country.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bucky

Re: Favorite terrain feature?

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:31 am

Inside corners (interior)

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:59 am

Bucky wrote:Inside corners (interior)

How far inside do you normally hunt one?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:57 pm

I like saddles as well. Subtle ones that don't show up on a topo map, so no one else hunts them, with the right combo of bedding and food on both sides depending on time of year. Keep in mind funnels like every other terrain feature are only as good as what they connect and how little they are pressured.

I also like ditch crossings although it can be tricky to pick the right crossing, every deer in hill country has to cross ditches.
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:04 pm

JoeRE,
I have seen you mention ditches before. Could you give me an example of what you mean? Are they the same as a deep cut or ravine? Or something totally different?

SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:51 pm

Good point JoeRe. The heads of a ditch will usually have a good trail around it. These are very good funnels, especially if it's pretty steep to the crest of the hill.

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:54 pm

The area I hunt in PA is littered with logging roads, some of which have been cut into hillsides but are now overgrown and become flat benches on the side of a steep hill. These are almost always in big woods settings and give me somewhat of a funnel in an otherwise featureless terrain.

I guarantee if you find one of these benches, they will be littered with scrapes in about 2 weeks.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Creek bottoms hands down, especially loaded with oaks. Hunt just outside of the thicket with a favorable wind when the White Oaks are raining down and you're fixin' to have a good day.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Pretty sure what joere is calling a ditch is a cut into the side of a hill...wet weather ditch...erroded through the years...often littered with some rock and downed trees and steep sides...not always...but you get the idea....deer can cross them ANYWHERE for the most part..but generally they all cross in the same areas...if found major trails up and down them...but like was said the top of it is often good especially if it's a good ditch that doesn't offer deer a place to cross it...they HAVE to go above it or below it..if they run the thermal tunnel they are much closer to the top...

Here its hit or miss...a lot have heavy trails in a few spots on the same ditch...getting the RIGHT trail can be tough...

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:04 pm

Give me a thick understory. I love the thick brush with a nice hardwood canopy.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
deereload

Unread postby deereload » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:03 pm

1} edges of creeks
2} inside corners of two intersecting corn/ bean fields
3} saddles
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:14 pm

xpauliber wrote:The area I hunt in PA is littered with logging roads, some of which have been cut into hillsides but are now overgrown and become flat benches on the side of a steep hill. These are almost always in big woods settings and give me somewhat of a funnel in an otherwise featureless terrain.

I guarantee if you find one of these benches, they will be littered with scrapes in about 2 weeks.

X2 . Found one scouting a few weeks ago . Old scrapes all over it. Will hunt it in a week or so if conditions allow. I also found a great ditch or deep ravine crossing . Perfect rut funnel in big woods . Both spots are over a 2 mile hike in.

Last edited by E72 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Overlooked terrain :)

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:24 pm

A deer zoo!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:A deer zoo!

I like these!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”