Beast Kills this Year

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

moog5050
500 Club

Beast Kills this Year

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:10 am

Maybe its just me, but it seems like there have been more monsters than normal killed this year by Nov. 1. Way to get it done guys. It astounds me how big the bucks are killed by members on here compared to the NY forum I frequent. That's not a shot at the less than monster bucks taken by beast members, just an observation. Kudos to all who have been successful to date and best of luck to those in pursuit.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Beast Kills this Year

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:14 am

Most impressive line up ever IMO.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:18 am

Yeah very impressive! Those that hav'nt tagged a buck keep at it. That goes for me also. Your season can change quick.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:01 am

Best antler growth year in the Midwest since 2010. Many more monsters will drop.... just need cooler temps

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:25 am

Bucky wrote:Best antler growth year in the Midwest since 2010. Many more monsters will drop.... just need cooler temps

I agree, compared to the past few years every buck seems to have 10+ extra inches this year.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:46 am

Bucky wrote:Best antler growth year in the Midwest since 2010. Many more monsters will drop.... just need cooler temps

Why best growth Bucky?
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:40 pm

Agreed, antler growth has been the best in a while. The combination of ehd recovery, and weather. Plenty of rain. Seems if crops are good deer are big.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:52 pm

Rain through the growing season.... when antlers are growing and browse is high antler growth is best. I pay attention to this.... 2016 is a great yr.

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:57 am

Interesting. In this area (NY), we had the driest year I can remember. Even the marsh I hunt was completely dry, which has never happened.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:51 am

Bucky is spot on. The plants uptake more minerals with the correct amount of rain.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:14 am

A few years ago we had a wet spring but then a summer drought. The sheds I found the following spring would often have good bases and brow tines, but then it was like of the antler just petered out to the tips...

venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:35 am

I'm in agreement here. Best growth year I've seen in a long time for everything, including antlers. All the rain we've had had a lot to do with it, here in WI anyway.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:13 am

venisonassassin wrote:

I'm in agreement here. Best growth year I've seen in a long time for everything, including antlers. All the rain we've had had a lot to do with it, here in WI anyway.

Yea - early spring green up plus lots of moisture. Weather this fall has been warmer than average across the nation, so there would be even more up there with good weather.

The BEAST has a few things to do with the buck line up as well...it wasn't just the good antler growing year :lol:
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:21 am

moog5050 wrote:Interesting. In this area (NY), we had the driest year I can remember. Even the marsh I hunt was completely dry, which has never happened.

Moog- when my wife and I moved to IA at the end of June, all the road sides and medians were dead brown and yellow until we got to Indiana. Then things got greener in a hurry. That time of year is a critical growing period for bucks. Once we got here it seemed like the rain never stopped.

P.s. Congratulations on your buck. Knowing you have a shorter hunting history than most of us, and the fact that you took it a step further than most of us dare to by using a recurve, makes your accomplishment even more impressive. Well done.

moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:28 am

SamPotter wrote:
moog5050 wrote:Interesting. In this area (NY), we had the driest year I can remember. Even the marsh I hunt was completely dry, which has never happened.

Moog- when my wife and I moved to IA at the end of June, all the road sides and medians were dead brown and yellow until we got to Indiana. Then things got greener in a hurry. That time of year is a critical growing period for bucks. Once we got here it seemed like the rain never stopped.

P.s. Congratulations on your buck. Knowing you have a shorter hunting history than most of us, and the fact that you took it a step further than most of us dare to by using a recurve, makes your accomplishment even more impressive. Well done.

Thanks Sam. Was hoping but never expected this buck really. The fact that we had such history with him meant a lot. Your IA buck was a true monster. Of course, you were the rarity knocking down monsters in NY so its no surprise. Once again, well done!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”