Big guy wants to go mobile

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Billdogge!

Big guy wants to go mobile

Unread postby Billdogge! » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:13 pm

I want to kick my game up and go mobile this year. Issue is I'm large (6'5" 355 lbs) and I don't like getting too high. So the question for my fellow Sasquach on here...What set ups are you using. Any input is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Get in the woods and hunt!
matt1336
500 Club

Re: Big guy wants to go mobile

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:29 pm

You can get into a lot of areas that other don't want to go or don't think about going to if you'd hint from the ground. Maybe look into getting yourself a guille suit
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm sure there are ways to beef up a stand and some sticks. There are plenty of eingineers and other knowledgable people on here that would know how. Start a new thread that states it how it is.

6'5" 350 pounds. Need help with safe mobile setup!!! Help!!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:26 pm

Billdogge! wrote:I want to kick my game up and go mobile this year. Issue is I'm large (6'5" 355 lbs) and I don't like getting too high. So the question for my fellow Sasquach on here...What set ups are you using. Any input is appreciated and thanks in advance.

I'm in the same boat. Hunting from the ground has never let me down. ;) Having said that, I was looking for a tree stand option too. I bought a screaming eagle lock on stand with the extra large seat. They claim to have "no human weight limit" and it's 14 lbs. I'm going to set it up on the base of a pine tree in the back yard when I get it and sit in it all spring and summer to test it. If it doesn't fail me from 6" high, I'll take it hunting. As far as getting up the tree, I'm looking at something like muddy stagger steps for my 16 boots and replacing the existing straps with 2" cam straps with a 1,000 lbs working load limit. Should do just fine. Again, I'll test them in a low risk environment.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:51 pm

Im 6'2" and 265 pounds... L/W Alpha, AND 5 STICKS... Be carful. Us big guys don't bounce.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:14 am

I would fit into the big guy club. 6'0 295-300# is the weight I hunted at last year. I will enter this next season lighter. 300# is about the max I have seen on most fixed stands. Summit makes a 350# weight limit stand. But its a climbing stand.
Billdogge!

Unread postby Billdogge! » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:51 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm loosing weight so I'm hoping the LoneWolf will work (350 weight limit)

Done most hunting off the ground but man at my size it's like a grizzly with a bow trying to hide.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:11 am

I'm 6'4 300, and wouldn't suggest the lone wolf sticks as I am guessing you have pretty large feet. In my opinion, the lone wolf sticks aren't built for big feet. Yes they are lighter, but the foot pegs are small. I have the xop sticks and while they weigh more, they are much better for big feet (I wear a size 14 or 15) and my feet fit comfortably on the sticks. You can also find the xop sticks cheaper if you look around a bit.

For a treestand, xop and lone wolf are both rated for 350lbs. You mentioned not liking heights, so I will also mention looking at a summit climber. The goliath and titan are both rated to 350lbs. I have the goliath and have never once felt unsafe in it. I don't like heights at all, but I have done 25' in my climber multiple times and it didn't bother me much. I switched to a hang on for multiple reasons, and most people here use a hang on for those same reasons. You could also look at lone wolf and xop climbers as well.

If you want a hang on, the best would be a lone wolf alpha or xop air raid. If you could find a xop silver, that would be the cheapest. I have that, and I feel totally safe up in it. Not having a railing around me is taking awhile to get used to, but I am not concerned about the stand causing problems. If you want a bigger platform, then the xop maximus would be good. It weighs more, but has a big platform. By big, I mean curl up and take a nap big.

Just a heads up, most standard hunting safety harnesses are only rated to 300lbs. I would suggest getting a rock climbing harness, but that is just my personal preference. For that, find one that fits you best and you will be good. If you have a bigger waist size, like a mid 40's and up, misty mountain makes harnesses sized for big guys.

Best of luck!
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:59 am

6'6", 260, 15/16 feet here! While I don't have too much of an issue with weight limits on stands, I had issues with the original XOP sticks despite never exceeding the weight limit (bolts pushing into the steps, and the brackets loosening). They still haven't responded to a couple of e-mails to address the issue either, for what its worth.

This came up on here a bit ago if I recall, but access for us big guys can be different too. I can be reasonable stealthy, but on a practical level being bigger does make it harder. I'm working much harder on having areas pre-scouted and ready to access and hang without disturbance. Too many times I've tried to push my limits in nasty stuff and just heard busting deer. Preseasons scouting is critical for all of us, but I'm concluding that it is even more critical to have sets ready for us big guys.
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:11 am

Kraftd wrote:6'6", 260, 15/16 feet here! While I don't have too much of an issue with weight limits on stands, I had issues with the original XOP sticks despite never exceeding the weight limit (bolts pushing into the steps, and the brackets loosening). They still haven't responded to a couple of e-mails to address the issue either, for what its worth.

This came up on here a bit ago if I recall, but access for us big guys can be different too. I can be reasonable stealthy, but on a practical level being bigger does make it harder. I'm working much harder on having areas pre-scouted and ready to access and hang without disturbance. Too many times I've tried to push my limits in nasty stuff and just heard busting deer. Preseasons scouting is critical for all of us, but I'm concluding that it is even more critical to have sets ready for us big guys.

100% agree. I'm only 6'1" but used to be over 450 (kinda ashamed to admit that). It's a long process but I'd like to be 350 by hunting season. Scouting ahead and planning routes is absolutely important. Just having big feet makes it harder to be quiet. I have found the just leaning dead logs and tree limbs up against a tree as front/side cover is usually enough to hide your movement, provided your aren't moving too fast. Another thing I did a long time ago was make rain my friend. I love it actually. I've stalked within 30 yards and killed a few deer. Talk about fun.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:17 am

Guess I am on the small side of big compared to some guys who have posted already (6'5" 230-240 lbs), but size is one of many reasons I do a lot of hunting from the ground.

One thing to keep in mind, take your buck naked weight and add on another 20-40 lbs of bow/gun, wet muddy boots, clothes, and gear to what your stand has to hold. So that might put just me at 270....

I'm not so worried about falling myself but I am a clutz and therefore not very quiet climbing a tree. I am gonna smack something against something else that makes noise pretty much guaranteed. Plus I routinely drop stuff once I am up there then I am soaked in sweat climbing up and down. Just setting up on the ground is always gonna be quieter than climbing up a tree, simply less movement and effort.

I think the tree saddle I use is only rated to 220 lbs but having used it for several years I'm confident it will hold me and a bit more. Kinda doubt 350-400 lbs though. And if I do fall its definitely my own darn fault having exceeded the rating.

Every stand I have ever used got the highly unscientific jump test. I hung it 6" off the ground and jumped around on the very edges of the platform and also up on the seat. Yes I broke a couple over the years. I just broke a lone wolf seat doing that last year :lol:
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:26 am

The hardest part with being large...you need to be strong to easily sling that weight around. Legs need to be strong, sometimes its a reach to make it to the next step. Grip needs to be strong. Need to be able to pull that weight up. I had no troubles at 300# but figure it will make things substantially easier at 240#.

Walking 10 miles be much easier at 240 ...rather than 300.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:49 am

You could look into a saddle and climbing spurs...
the versatility of a saddle continues to amaze me, so many places I can set it up where I can't set up my lone wolf.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Billdogge!

Unread postby Billdogge! » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks for all the feedback especially on the sticks (size 15 shoes). I am torn between a climber and Hang on/sticks. I think the hang on will be more useful in spots. Do any of you stay in the 12' and under range?
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:01 pm

Billdogge! wrote:Thanks for all the feedback especially on the sticks (size 15 shoes). I am torn between a climber and Hang on/sticks. I think the hang on will be more useful in spots. Do any of you stay in the 12' and under range?

I always go as low as the cover will allow. My average is probably more like 15'. I have also killed a fair number of deer from the ground.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”