Appalachian Mountain terrain and tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moccasin Hunter

Appalachian Mountain terrain and tactics

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Tue May 16, 2017 4:24 pm

I would like to hear from other Appalachian Mountain "Hunting Beasts". How do Beast tactics vary when it comes to the mountains? Do they vary? How do we apply them to this type of terrain? Lets discuss and share mountain hunting knowledge, information and just opinions! Hill Country tactics can and do apply but not always, these mountains are different they are not rolling hills. There are massive cliffs, lung busting heights, impenetrable laurel thickets and high winds. All of these affect the deer that live here and the hunters that pursue them.

"I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past" (Patrick Henry)
Tjterry
Facebook: Trevor Terry

Re: Appalachian Mountain terrain and tactics

Unread postby Tjterry » Wed May 17, 2017 1:11 pm

One of my favorite areas are peaks that connects 3 or 4 major drainages. There's usually a lot of buck sign on top but seems like most daylight movement from bucks takes place a little ways under the top.
Johnboy

Unread postby Johnboy » Thu May 18, 2017 12:30 am

I agree there are some lung busting climbs in the mountains here in East Tennessee. One tactic that I like is to limit my trips! Lol.....
Mountain deer seem to know their environment and terrain better than farmland deer. Deer in the mountains will pick up on constant scent being left by hunters and will leave the area or become nocturnal. I found this out the hard way on an old 8 point that taught me a hard lesson. I had him on camera only 10 times. Could not figure out why, until I realized it was my fault after I checked the cam all summer. Only two daylight pics which were two days after the camera was out and the rest were at night until the end of season. I had made too many trips checking that camera on his routes into my hunting area. Never seen the deer again.my best bet in the mountains has been to be mobile, scout all thru season and spring and just rely on those scouting trips for the next season.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Thu May 18, 2017 12:31 am

One of my hunting goals is to shoot a buck in the public mountains of north central PA. The terrain sounds very similar to what Moccasin Hunter describes. I have very little worth adding on this topic, but I too would love to hear from those who have had success or experience in this type of terrain.
Tjterry

Unread postby Tjterry » Thu May 18, 2017 5:11 am

I agree with John boy that the deer up in the mountains seem much more sensitive to pressure than deer in more populated areas.
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Thu May 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Johnboy wrote:I agree there are some lung busting climbs in the mountains here in East Tennessee. One tactic that I like is to limit my trips! Lol.....
Mountain deer seem to know their environment and terrain better than farmland deer. Deer in the mountains will pick up on constant scent being left by hunters and will leave the area or become nocturnal. I found this out the hard way on an old 8 point that taught me a hard lesson. I had him on camera only 10 times. Could not figure out why, until I realized it was my fault after I checked the cam all summer. Only two daylight pics which were two days after the camera was out and the rest were at night until the end of season. I had made too many trips checking that camera on his routes into my hunting area. Never seen the deer again.my best bet in the mountains has been to be mobile, scout all thru season and spring and just rely on those scouting trips for the next season.
I have had some bad experiences with trail cams to. I'm to the point where I just don't trust that they won't scare deer off. I "never" use them any where near where I plan to hunt. I'm not sure if mountain deer are any warier than lowland deer but they are extremely hard to approach. My opinion is that its because of the difficult terrain, which brings us to the question, how do we approach a kill stand in this difficult situation? This is my most trying problem here. The conventional wisdom is to take whatever route is nessesary to avoid detection, whatever distance you need to go. Somewhere even saying 2 miles if my memory is correct. Yet that 2 miles in the mountains could involve an elevation gain of a couple thousand feet adding hours of climbing time to your approach.
"I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past" (Patrick Henry)
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Thu May 18, 2017 3:04 pm

Now that Ive asked the question, my answer so far has been to plan my approaches in stages. I'm starting early enough to build in rest periods at key intervals. This season I plan to go so far as to time in a few hours to sleep before final approach. My plan is to use the bottom section of my climber as a tree recliner. Just going to attach it to a tree and sit down and lean back and rest. It's like a mini camping trip . It will involve a very early start but the approach has to be undetected. At least I wont be wading in waist deep swamps like Dan & Singing bridge.
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Thu May 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Josh_S wrote:One of my hunting goals is to shoot a buck in the public mountains of north central PA. The terrain sounds very similar to what Moccasin Hunter describes. I have very little worth adding on this topic, but I too would love to hear from those who have had success or experience in this type of terrain.
If you haven't already, check out bowhunter15's youtube video about scouting public land. It was an eye opener for for an old school guy like me. diy-sportsman.com
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Thu May 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Moccasin Hunter wrote:
Josh_S wrote:One of my hunting goals is to shoot a buck in the public mountains of north central PA. The terrain sounds very similar to what Moccasin Hunter describes. I have very little worth adding on this topic, but I too would love to hear from those who have had success or experience in this type of terrain.
If you haven't already, check out bowhunter15's youtube video about scouting public land. It was an eye opener for for an old school guy like me. diy-sportsman.com
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39547#p575023 Here is a link to another thread you may find informative!
Jed33

Unread postby Jed33 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:42 pm

I am interested in hearing these tactics also. I am familiar with hill country tactics here in Ohio, however I will be moving to North Carolina this summer.
Tjterry

Unread postby Tjterry » Fri May 19, 2017 12:27 am

I've used cameras on natural mineral spring though the summer but I don't think it's worth trying to use them during season in an area your hunting. I may try putting one in a natural funnel in late September and leaving it till December. I think that could be helpful for next year.
Jed33

Unread postby Jed33 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:51 am

I am also curious how do you guys get the deer out?!! :shock: :think:
Tjterry

Unread postby Tjterry » Fri May 19, 2017 12:58 am

Most places I quarter and carry them out. A few places I've been able to drag them down to a logging road and use a cart. I wish I could figure out how to post pics. Ive got some good pics of getting deer out! Lol
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:10 am

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Fri May 19, 2017 1:18 am

Tjterry wrote:Most places I quarter and carry them out. A few places I've been able to drag them down to a logging road and use a cart. I wish I could figure out how to post pics. Ive got some good pics of getting deer out! Lol
Ive used this from hunter mike viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39892#p580923

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”