Best Whitetail State

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AlbertaBowhunter80

Best Whitetail State

Unread postby AlbertaBowhunter80 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:17 pm

If you guys were planning on going on an outfitted hunt which state would you choose and why? ( I don't like outfitted hunts but would be coming from Canada so its the only option)

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Best Whitetail State

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:22 pm

Iowa, Illinois, Kansas

Definitely not Wisconsin. No big buck there ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:24 pm

new York lmaoooo
AlbertaBowhunter80

Unread postby AlbertaBowhunter80 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:27 pm

i heard that about Wisconsin ; ) Wisconsin looks like an amazing place to hunt, the hilly terrain would be a nice change of scenery. Its mostly flat where I hunt in Alberta and id love to try something new. If you know of any good outfitters you could point me towards as well that would be great. I really HATE the idea of using an outfitter but I feel like thats the best option.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:46 pm

I'd love to hunt Saskatchewan Canada to be honest
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:56 pm

I hear there's a Wisconsin honey hole behinds Dans house! If your looking at dropping 10 g's on a 120 class deer South Texas is your deff answer. If I had my choice of public Iowa would be my first round draft pic....
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:08 pm

I bet you could trade a Canada hunt for a public hunt in one of the top states if you'd ask someone.
AlbertaBowhunter80

Unread postby AlbertaBowhunter80 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:15 pm

I put the offer out but I didn't get any bites.
Saskatchewan has some good deer but it's over rated. What you guys have in the Midwest is way better IMO
rbuck

Unread postby rbuck » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:40 pm

If you want to go on an outfitted hunt then maybe try Buffalo County Outfitters or any of the other outfitters in Buffalo County, WI. Plenty of hills, ag land and big deer. I hunted with BCO 6 years ago but didn't tag out. Only 1 person in our group did, but that had as much to do with poor timing as anything. The week before I arrived their clients took 8 big bucks with a few giants. I think all of the outfitters in Buffalo county have a good reputation.

There is also a ton of national forest land in northern Wisconsin. I wouldn't know how to hunt it but there is plenty of land to go around and huge bucks are shot in that area every year.

Iowa is great but it costs you about 800 bucks just for a deer tag after you count putting in for preference points for 3-4 seasons. Ohio is also very good from what I've read although I have never hunted there.

If you really wanted to hunt beast style you could try the boundary waters or Lake of the Woods in Minnesota for a real adventure.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Any of the big name states have good outfitters and bad. All the good outfitters grow plenty of big bucks and provide good service. My advice is just treat it like a job applicant. Ask for references and not just from hunters who shot the biggest buck of their life, also from ones that didn't fill tags. I have heard some even let you hang your own stands and all that.

Is using an outfitter required for someone outside the US? Or are you saying outfitter just because scouting trips would be difficult and expensive? There are lots of examples of DIY hunters going to IA, OH, KS, the Dakotas and tagging a good buck. A scouting trip down to the Dakotas wouldn't be that horribly far for you from Alberta.

If you were willing to throw some extra time at the hunt itself, say a 2-3 week hunt, you might be able to pull DIY off with only cyber scouting. Get here 3rd week of October and start scouting and stay through 1st week of Nov, or stay 3 weeks of Nov something like that. Cyber scout at least twice as many areas as you can hunt because at least half of them won't pan out.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:02 am

I would say treat it like job applicants, you are in the driver seat so ask the outfitters questing like Joe said.

IMO I would look for some type of country terrain that's unfamiliar to you that looks exciting to hunt. The outfitter will help with the rest. To me the scene of a sunrise and sunset in foreign land is amazing
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:52 am

Why not try the bow zone round Calgary? Or are you just looking for a roadtrip?
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
AlbertaBowhunter80

Unread postby AlbertaBowhunter80 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:48 am

Permission around the Calgary bowzone is all locked up and there isn't a lot of big whitetails in that area. And yes I would like a change of scenery, plus we do not have the deer numbers or the numbers of quality of deer that you guys have.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”