Jumped my first public slobs

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

boldlygo

Jumped my first public slobs

Unread postby boldlygo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:21 am

I know summer scouting gets poo-poo'd, but I take what I can get. Yesterday I drove two hours south to a county with much higher deer populations that where I live, and it wasn't until the 6th hour of trekking that I came across what we all hope to find

I came out into a grassy field, coming up out of the woods (oak, hemlock, beech, and maple). Across the field jumped up 3 deer, two of which I got a good look at. *shaking head* Guys, they were sporting some massive headgear, I have never personally seen a deer that large before. (to be fair, I've only ever seen one decent-sized deer in my life up to this point). I walked around the edge of the field and took pictures of the tracks I found.

The deer were chilling, either in the sun or shade, of a tree line just off the edge of the field. Here is a map of the situation

And closer up

The fields are all 5' tall grass, the hedgerows are small apple trees (not bearing fruit) and shrubs, a few of the bigger trees are oaks or ash. I have no experience scouting this kind of terrain and found no rubs of substantial size in the surrounding woods. I have not gone north of the bulge on the larger map above the yellow private icon, but plan to come back down and figure out how to hunt this terrain. The field where the bucks were slopes gently upwards West to East so that big, established bed has a really nice view and probably gets a steady thermal scent-stream. Would that also pull scent out of the woods to the south?

Here is his bed. For size reference (should've put my backpack in there) I am 5'10" and weigh 165, I got in and had plenty of elbow room, did not hit any surrounding vegetation and was on my knees perpendicular to its length checking his view.

His view

It's a 2 hr drive to this location and I want to be productive next time I scout it (within the next 3 days). Any tips on tackling this type of situation??

“A grindstone that had not grit in it, how long would it take to sharpen an ax? And affairs that had not grit in them, how long would they take to make a man?”
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Jumped my first public slobs

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:59 am

Sounds like a great scouting trip. Always fun to see the big bucks.

Those tracks look like cow tracks.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:55 am

Cool man! That is the biggest deer track I've ever seen
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:11 am

:shock:

Thanks for sharing, but be careful posting aerials. Not impossible other beasts are in your area and take advantage of your hard work!! Lots of lurkers around here...

That said, those tracks are far above and beyond anything I've ever came across. Are you sure they're not from a yearling cow?? They look ridiculously huge... But they do look proportional enough to be a deer track.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:56 am

Especially the pic with your hand in it... That looks like a cow track. I'm thinking a nearby farmer has some fence to fix...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:57 am

Lockdown wrote::shock:

Thanks for sharing, but be careful posting aerials. Not impossible other beasts are in your area and take advantage of your hard work!! Lots of lurkers around here...

That said, those tracks are far above and beyond anything I've ever came across. Are you sure they're not from a yearling cow?? They look ridiculously huge... But they do look proportional enough to be a deer track.

Yeah that first pic had me scratching my head, but I think it's a sliding running track. The 2nd is for sure a deer track. Cattle have much squarer tracks.

Good finds. 8-) :dance: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:20 am

It does kind of look like a cow or an elk.. Maybe a cow elk? I think a local farmer has an issue.

When I was younger a local elk farmer here in NY had 6 or 7 bust out and were roaming for a few weeks.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:44 am

tbunao wrote:It does kind of look like a cow or an elk.. Maybe a cow elk? I think a local farmer has an issue.

When I was younger a local elk farmer here in NY had 6 or 7 bust out and were roaming for a few weeks.

Either way that would be an expansive tag! ;)

Question - How do you guys make the maps like that, w the precise lines and arrows?
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:16 am

I would never do it but I know that very location.
boldlygo

Unread postby boldlygo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:22 am

The aerial is definitely a gamble, but I would love some help diagnosing this spot and suggestions on where to scout next.

Anything is possible with regards to the track, but here is a photo of one I found in the woods

“A grindstone that had not grit in it, how long would it take to sharpen an ax? And affairs that had not grit in them, how long would they take to make a man?”
boldlygo

Unread postby boldlygo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:26 am

tbunao wrote:

I would never do it but I know that very location.

Only admins can take photos down, right? Do I just PM someone?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 am

boldlygo wrote:

The aerial is definitely a gamble, but I would love some help diagnosing this spot and suggestions on where to scout next.

Anything is possible with regards to the track, but here is a photo of one I found in the woods

Looks like a member found your spot in 5 minutes. I just had the exact aerial with landmark names PM'd to me. Yikes.

I'm going start a thread using this as an example, please don't take offense it's nothing personal. No worries I won't show your aerial or location.
boldlygo

Unread postby boldlygo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:38 am

Lockdown wrote:
boldlygo wrote:

Looks like a member found your spot in 5 minutes. I just had the exact aerial with landmark names PM'd to me. Yikes.

I'm going start a thread using this as an example, please don't take offense it's nothing personal. No worries I won't show your aerial or location.

No offense taken at all, though it's my first truly big deer hopefully it's my last "truly big lesson" with regards to the beast forums Noone has even helped diagnose it! :violin:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:48 am

Possible elk track??
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:57 am

boldlygo wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
boldlygo wrote:

No offense taken at all, though it's my first truly big deer hopefully it's my last "truly big lesson" with regards to the beast forums Noone has even helped diagnose it! :violin:

I got you on a scout!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”