Hill Country Pond

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Hill Country Pond

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:07 am

I found this pond on public land while hunting in one of my favorite Hill/Bluff country areas. I would like to get into this spot but I want to make sure I have a solid plan. Here are my questions....

Would you wait for an unseasonably hot day to hunt this spot? I am assuming the best time to hunt this is on an East or maybe Northeast wind? What side of the pond would you try and set up on? Any possible bedding areas nearby that you can see? I hunted this spot twice last year and both times deer entered it from the West.

Thanks in advanced for all of your help!

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Hill Country Pond

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:21 am

What was the wind on the days you hunted and they approached from the West?

Also is any of this area confirmed bedding? What about that sharp point by the pond. Between 1118 &1122
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:13 am

As far as location goes, it looks like a wind funnel right at the pond. I would back track them and try to catch them closer to bedding... Unrelated to the pond, I would check out that little flat round bench next to the 1050 marker.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:55 am

I also noticed the little finger NE of the pond. You can probably come right up the stream bed to hunt it.
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:28 am

I have a similar situation where there is a lone pond in hill country. Do you think they would prefer a point closer to water over a similar point that would be good for the same wind direction? I was watching the older hill country dvd and noticed there was a lot of setups over a pond.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:39 am

Darkknight54 wrote:What was the wind on the days you hunted and they approached from the West?

Also is any of this area confirmed bedding? What about that sharp point by the pond. Between 1118 &1122

I knew this question was coming and I am embarrassed to admit that I don’t recall. I am new to this style of hunting and this year I plan on keep a journal.
I believe the “point” you are referring to is a drainage ditch. I used this to access the pond last year.
Thanks!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:42 am

dan wrote:As far as location goes, it looks like a wind funnel right at the pond. I would back track them and try to catch them closer to bedding... Unrelated to the pond, I would check out that little flat round bench next to the 1050 marker.

Thanks, Dan. I thought this little bench looked interesting as well. I haven't scouted much in this area but I will do my best to throw a hunt at it this year and see what intel I can get.

In terms of the pond, are you saying that this might be a little too risky regardless of where I try and set up on it?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:11 am

NorthStar wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:What was the wind on the days you hunted and they approached from the West?

I knew this question was coming and I am embarrassed to admit that I don’t recall. I am new to this style of hunting and this year I plan on keep a journal.
I believe the “point” you are referring to is a drainage ditch. I used this to access the pond last year.
Thanks!

Its ok! I didnt either for a few years.
Just some suggestions if you decide to start. Most cell phones have a notepad or memo app on them standard. Use that for deer logs and just send it to google drive when the year is over. From there you can store them or download them or view from any device. To recount past hunting scenarios just think about month and year, then go look at weather underground. Try to think about was it gun season or how close to the beginning of season, etc... Things really start to click if you can figure out when and why something happened, even pre beast hunting scenarios.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:30 am

Depending on hunting pressure in the greater area, looks like a prime warm weather rut cruising setup. Bucks will be thirsty and stop for a drink. I see a lot of mid day activity in waterholes during the rut if they are in SECURE locations.

The problem is most warm weather comes with southerly winds, and I agree the best winds would be N or NE. If you just have a dry spell, bucks might be hitting the water with cooler temps.

I know I would hang a trail camera to watch the waterhole all fall and next year you would know exactly what conditions are best.....can't remember if that is legal on MN public yet though.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:20 am

NorthStar wrote:
dan wrote:As far as location goes, it looks like a wind funnel right at the pond. I would back track them and try to catch them closer to bedding... Unrelated to the pond, I would check out that little flat round bench next to the 1050 marker.

Thanks, Dan. I thought this little bench looked interesting as well. I haven't scouted much in this area but I will do my best to throw a hunt at it this year and see what intel I can get.

In terms of the pond, are you saying that this might be a little too risky regardless of where I try and set up on it?

You might be able to get away with it on the right winds, but the draw to the north and the bowl shape of the terrain is likely going to cause swirling air currents right at the pond. Try it and find out.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:51 am

Thanks for all of the insight. I know boots on the ground is the best way to get educated about a spot but it helps to have solid advice from all of you. As always, I will keep everyone updated!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:15 am

NorthStar wrote:

Thanks!

Sorry - about that, I didn't realize that the hill kept going up and up and up. That's the stream bed from the top.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:14 am

Yep , find out now if you can . Check the wind direction , Go in with lots of milkweed ! :D
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:03 am

JoeRE wrote:Depending on hunting pressure in the greater area, looks like a prime warm weather rut cruising setup. Bucks will be thirsty and stop for a drink. I see a lot of mid day activity in waterholes during the rut if they are in SECURE locations.

The problem is most warm weather comes with southerly winds, and I agree the best winds would be N or NE. If you just have a dry spell, bucks might be hitting the water with cooler temps.

I know I would hang a trail camera to watch the waterhole all fall and next year you would know exactly what conditions are best.....can't remember if that is legal on MN publicyet though.

Cams are not legal on MN public land :roll:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:41 am

Lockdown wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Depending on hunting pressure in the greater area, looks like a prime warm weather rut cruising setup. Bucks will be thirsty and stop for a drink. I see a lot of mid day activity in waterholes during the rut if they are in SECURE locations.

I know I would hang a trail camera to watch the waterhole all fall and next year you would know exactly what conditions are best.....can't remember if that is legal on MN publicyet though.

Cams are not legal on MN public land :roll:

Ah that's right...

Beginning to think that might be a good idea with the number of wireless cameras I have seen on Iowa public just in the past year. Sure would get things back to the basics.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”