Reclaimed strip mine bedding

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Matt6506

Reclaimed strip mine bedding

Unread postby Matt6506 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:44 am

I'm having some trouble with looking for beds on some public land that's reclaimed strip mine ground. The evelation usually goes from 900 to 1400 ft elevation at the top of the ridge. The top 200 ft or so of elevation is where the reclaim is (which it's open field). My question is will the beds be along the transition facing the field or facing down the hill with wind to back? I consider this hill country with the main food source being the fields above the woods. I'm use to hunting more big woods with hardwoods on the ridges not fields. Maybe I'm overthinking it? However the top 1/3rd of elevation where I usually find beds in the big woods is field on this new to me area. This is all cyber scouting right now I'm just trying to get an idea of where I need to look?

“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Reclaimed strip mine bedding

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:33 pm

If the tops are fields and the sides are woods with the right kind of cover. I would think there would be beds on the down wind side of the field in the 1/3 zone of the hillside. If there are any drainages out of the fields down through where cover meets the 1/3 that may a be a great place for them to stage and enter the field with evening thermals pull down the drainage. This is pretty common were dan and them hunt and they say bucks will enter the fields in the low spots coming in the thermals! my .02 worth!!

Something else as a rule of thumb to remember- thick to back, wind to back. This may help with some of your thinking!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:56 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:If the tops are fields and the sides are woods with the right kind of cover. I would think there would be beds on the down wind side of the field in the 1/3 zone of the hillside. If there are any drainages out of the fields down through where cover meets the 1/3 that may a be a great place for them to stage and enter the field with evening thermals pull down the drainage. This is pretty common were dan and them hunt and they say bucks will enter the fields in the low spots coming in the thermals! my .02 worth!!

Something else as a rule of thumb to remember- thick to back, wind to back. This may help with some of your thinking!

That's kinda what I was thinking. I was trying to talk myself out of it with the fields above, I don't know I guess it's just out of my comfort zone. Thanks for the info. Any guesses on what would be the best way to access? Through the field on top and try to get in between the bed and entrance to the field or from below and get in between?
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:57 am

I find it difficult to narrow down the best military crests in this terrain. There are steep drop offs everywhere, and it is literally bench on top of bench. I back tracked a buck I shot 2 years ago to what I believe was the bed he was using to monitor does during pre-rut. It was worn to dirt with fresh belly hair in the bed. He was bedded on a little knob dropping off below a bench. The knob was so small it did not show up on a topo. The bed was on state game lands that was re-claimed strip mine. I attempted hunting this bed last year in early season with no action.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:04 am

Josh_S wrote:I find it difficult to narrow down the best military crests in this terrain. There are steep drop offs everywhere, and it is literally bench on top of bench. I back tracked a buck I shot 2 years ago to what I believe was the bed he was using to monitor does during pre-rut. It was worn to dirt with fresh belly hair in the bed. He was bedded on a little knob dropping off below a bench. The knob was so small it did not show up on a topo. The bed was on state game lands that was re-claimed strip mine. I attempted hunting this bed last year in early season with no action.

Thanks for the info, I'll do a lot of scouting with the stand on my back this fall and then tear it apart in the spring.
- Fred Bear
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Matt6506 wrote:
Josh_S wrote:I find it difficult to narrow down the best military crests in this terrain. There are steep drop offs everywhere, and it is literally bench on top of bench. I back tracked a buck I shot 2 years ago to what I believe was the bed he was using to monitor does during pre-rut. It was worn to dirt with fresh belly hair in the bed. He was bedded on a little knob dropping off below a bench. The knob was so small it did not show up on a topo. The bed was on state game lands that was re-claimed strip mine. I attempted hunting this bed last year in early season with no action.

Thanks for the info, I'll do a lot of scouting with the stand on my back this fall and then tear it apart in the spring.

That's probably your best bet. My first thought is super easy access. Open fields on top of the ridge makes me think plenty of pressure up on top. I'm also assuming you can't tell from an aerial what the field looks like. Is it overgrown and thick? Crops? Grass? Hard to say without seeing it in person but I wouldn't bank on the deer heading to those fields in daylight.

I would look for some little overlooked spot away from the fields. My .02. Some spot off to the side away from any human activity. I scouted some strip mines this spring. There weren't fields on top but every ridge top had human sign. All the beds I found were down on a bench with their back towards a shear cliff and right on the edge looking downhill.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:43 am

Wlog wrote:
Matt6506 wrote:

That's probably your best bet. My first thought is super easy access. Open fields on top of the ridge makes me think plenty of pressure up on top. I'm also assuming you can't tell from an aerial what the field looks like. Is it overgrown and thick? Crops? Grass? Hard to say without seeing it in person but I wouldn't bank on the deer heading to those fields in daylight.

I would look for some little overlooked spot away from the fields. My .02. Some spot off to the side away from any human activity. I scouted some strip mines this spring. There weren't fields on top but every ridge top had human sign. All the beds I found were down on a bench with their back towards a shear cliff and right on the edge looking downhill.

I drove by the spot yesterday and the top is cattle pasture, so maybe that's not the primary food source? What's your opinion on access ? I can park on the county road at the bottom and access like everyone else or follow a fence line up to the field edge and access from the top? Looks like the area has a lot of benchs and some really thick cover.
- Fred Bear
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:56 am

If possible I would access from above for an EVENING hunt. Remember in hill country bucks usually bed on the top 1/3 elevation on the leeward side of the ridge (wind blowing toward downhill side) with wind to back looking down over hillside. More importantly, thermals will be rising mid day, meaning the deer can smell rising thermals from below. Prevailing wind and thermals can be checked with milkweed to decrease the chances of getting winded.

Here is a link the all time tactical thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471

I would recommend reading up on hill country, stand approach, milkweed, and wind and thermals. There is a wealth of information generously shared by very successful hunters with much more knowledgeable about the subjects than me!
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:44 am

Josh_S wrote:If possible I would access from above for an EVENING hunt. Remember in hill country bucks usually bed on the top 1/3 elevation on the leeward side of the ridge (wind blowing toward downhill side) with wind to back looking down over hillside. More importantly, thermals will be rising mid day, meaning the deer can smell rising thermals from below. Prevailing wind and thermals can be checked with milkweed to decrease the chances of getting winded.

Here is a link the all time tactical thread: http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=24471

I would recommend reading up on hill country, stand approach, milkweed, and wind and thermals. There is a wealth of information generously shared by very successful hunters with much more knowledgeable about the subjects than me!

I'll take a look thanks for the info
- Fred Bear
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Matt6506 wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:If the tops are fields and the sides are woods with the right kind of cover. I would think there would be beds on the down wind side of the field in the 1/3 zone of the hillside. If there are any drainages out of the fields down through where cover meets the 1/3 that may a be a great place for them to stage and enter the field with evening thermals pull down the drainage. This is pretty common were dan and them hunt and they say bucks will enter the fields in the low spots coming in the thermals! my .02 worth!!

That's kinda what I was thinking. I was trying to talk myself out of it with the fields above, I don't know I guess it's just out of my comfort zone. Thanks for the info. Any guesses on what would be the best way to access? Through the field on top and try to get in between the bed and entrance to the field or from below and get in between?

Knowing where the beds are from prescout is really the only true way to know how to set up! Its a crap shoot with out knowing! But if your goin on a hunch from cyber scouting and you have a drainage in mind, if you think bedding is real close to drainage, id try kinda top, side route down to set first, (example) buck is bedded on a north slope for a south wind, you you think he is bedding on the west side of the drainage 150 yards on a point . I would try to enter the field from any east access i could use, go strait down to transition from field to woods, and head west to drainage and get as close as i could if cover allows it. That way you dont get scent from above or from below before he is entering the field. The buck is walking in scent free wind until he gets close to where your set up is!
If that makes any sense! The first hill country dvd talks about these kinds of set ups some and they say that these types of set ups are tricky!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:13 pm

Matt6506 wrote:
Wlog wrote:
Matt6506 wrote:

I drove by the spot yesterday and the top is cattle pasture, so maybe that's not the primary food source? What's your opinion on access ? I can park on the county road at the bottom and access like everyone else or follow a fence line up to the field edge and access from the top? Looks like the area has a lot of benchs and some really thick cover.

Cattle pasture is probably not a main source of food, but if its not over grazed by cattle, clover is a great food choice for deer. Another thing i like to add fence line oaks and persimmions are great too! I hunt some hill pasture and deer will work through there too dont be scared to give a shot. If there is abundance of some sort of food deer will work in and around pastures for sure!!
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:45 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:
Matt6506 wrote:

Knowing where the beds are from prescout is really the only true way to know how to set up! Its a crap shoot with out knowing! But if your goin on a hunch from cyber scouting and you have a drainage in mind, if you think bedding is real close to drainage, id try kinda top, side route down to set first, (example) buck is bedded on a north slope for a south wind, you you think he is bedding on the west side of the drainage 150 yards on a point . I would try to enter the field from any east access i could use, go strait down to transition from field to woods, and head west to drainage and get as close as i could if cover allows it. That way you dont get scent from above or from below before he is entering the field. The buck is walking in scent free wind until he gets close to where your set up is!
If that makes any sense! The first hill country dvd talks about these kinds of set ups some and they say that these types of set ups are tricky!

I'm going to give it a shot coming in from the top, the property has several points and benchs that I think might be possible bedding on a south to southeast wind from cyber scouting. I figure I'll start on one side of the property and rule out each area that looks good on a Topo for bedding on whatever wind. We don't get a lot of east winds here but it will be a property to hunt when I do get one. Thanks for the help.
- Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:16 pm

I know some guys that hunt some old mines, they take some nice bucks from time to time so they adapt to the unique terrain that is for sure. They aren't beast hunters but if the bucks are there the will find a spot that suites them for bedding. You probably have some bedding there somewhere but also some different air circulation and thermals as well, I'd be playing around with a lot of milkweed and scouting out every inch until you figure out the area. Every bed is unique and in your case the land is the same, the bucks will have some preferred spots there for sure.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:38 am

headgear wrote:I know some guys that hunt some old mines, they take some nice bucks from time to time so they adapt to the unique terrain that is for sure. They aren't beast hunters but if the bucks are there the will find a spot that suites them for bedding. You probably have some bedding there somewhere but also some different air circulation and thermals as well, I'd be playing around with a lot of milkweed and scouting out every inch until you figure out the area. Every bed is unique and in your case the land is the same, the bucks will have some preferred spots there for sure.

I want to dive right in but I hate to with our season starting in just a month. I might try some observation sits in the mean time. I'm sure I'll have one of those ah-ha moments soon enough. Thanks for the advice and I won't forget my milkweed that's for sure.
- Fred Bear
AJB

Unread postby AJB » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:37 pm

I've hunt and scouted a decent amount of public that is reclaimed strip mine areas. Most all of the big buck bedding locations were just inside of a very thick nasty area on the leeward side of a hill with the open area right behind them. Most people only access these areas from the open stuff and the bucks are gone before the hunt begins. A lot of these areas are very hard to set up on and sometimes require a morning hunt. Most of the time that I've tried these areas in the morning the bucks were already bedded by daylight and I blew them out. Now I usually try to save these spots until a littler later in the pre rut when bucks are more likely to comeback to the bed later.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”