Beast in Scope Saturday

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jeff315131
Facebook: jeff315131

Beast in Scope Saturday

Unread postby jeff315131 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:12 am

Saturday winds were gusty 20+mph NW,W so I sat on the ground after a few hours I caught the flick of a tail at 90 to 100 yards out he went behind tall grass and small tree. All I could see was his head and only make out the last 2 points on left side of rack, the point on main seemed long and the only G i could see was very tall I tried a doe bleet nothing he turned with wind to back and walked away. Looking through scope I spotted him behind a much larger tree and tree was at 237 yards same view no shot turned and went away with wind to back. He was bedded on a southern point on an island area in swamp. With the winds at SW,S at 10 on Saturday I have a good north entry what are the odds he will be in same bed? I never saw him lick his nose he acted like he had no worries at all. I had him in scope for at least a half hour. For the first time I also heard two distinct areas of clicking sounds.

Bedbug

Re: Beast in Scope Saturday

Unread postby Bedbug » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:36 pm

What do you mean by clicking sounds?
jeff315131

Unread postby jeff315131 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:39 am

From what I found with google it is a sound a buck makes when breeding
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:50 am

jeff315131 wrote:From what I found with google it is a sound a buck makes when breeding

Yeah that's why I asked. Couple years ago I was personally approached by a guy on social media after explaining when and why I call on some thread. He was just starting to sell his knew product that mimicked that clicking sound speak of
Teeth chattering.

Nice honest guy. An average Joe at the time. After talking to him I truly think he believed his product worked.

The problem was I've logged thousands of hours in close proximity to deer. Even before I was old enough to hunt.
I just haven't ever heard a clicking noise sourced from deer. Still haven't.
Occasionally ask trusted experienced hunters and nothing. Kinda forgot about it until I saw your post.
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:40 pm

I’ve been lucky enough to hear bucks make the clicking noise. Heard it when I was hunting Ohio. Would have never guess a buck to make that kind of sound until I actually seen the buck doing it. Kind of caught me off guard when I first heard it. There are some good clips of buck doing this on YouTube. Just searching Whitetail buck clicking.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:18 pm

Interesting, can't say I have ever heard or heard of that before. Always something new to learn on the beast.
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:11 pm

I have heard that clicking sound once from a buck I shot, not very big buck but decent. I have not heard it since.
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:05 am

Interesting I wonder if it's a regional thing.
arhunt

Unread postby arhunt » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:38 am

Just this year I had two doe feeding around me and they were clicking as well. they were in a very relaxed state so maybe its a communication they do when they aren't nervous..?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:25 am

I have heard the clicking a few times but only from fully mature bucks when tending a hot doe. Seemed like she was very close to being ready to breed and the bucks were getting very frustrated.

Sam’s video is a great example.

https://youtu.be/QnCDX2jlMeI

I describe it as running your fingers across the teeth of a comb.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:35 am

Here you go......much more useful than the acorn cruncher. :lol:

https://youtu.be/MckVR1J9NOk
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:46 am

Very cool to hear that clicking sound. Doesn't happen often.
jeff315131

Unread postby jeff315131 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:02 pm

That was like what I heard just in two areas both I would guess with in 80 yards. I am ready to go all in in the am. New waders came in winds are going to be perfect for a north entry. Just still not sure If I should go in at dark or wait till about 1000 am. I just don't want to spook him on his entry to bed.
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:07 am

jeff315131 wrote:Saturday winds were gusty 20+mph NW,W so I sat on the ground after a few hours I caught the flick of a tail at 90 to 100 yards out he went behind tall grass and small tree. All I could see was his head and only make out the last 2 points on left side of rack, the point on main seemed long and the only G i could see was very tall I tried a doe bleet nothing he turned with wind to back and walked away. Looking through scope I spotted him behind a much larger tree and tree was at 237 yards same view no shot turned and went away with wind to back. He was bedded on a southern point on an island area in swamp. With the winds at SW,S at 10 on Saturday I have a good north entry what are the odds he will be in same bed? I never saw him lick his nose he acted like he had no worries at all. I had him in scope for at least a half hour. For the first time I also heard two distinct areas of clicking sounds.

Sorry to stray from your original question. If I read it the way you meant in your first sighting it was a 20mph NW wind and had been bedded on a southern point. Now going in on a SSW wind I wouldn't expect to find him on that south point bedded.
Idk how big that island area is or what it's like. If you feel theres still reason for him to be in there I would generally expect him to be towards the North of it.
jeff315131

Unread postby jeff315131 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:32 am

Well hunted all day Saturday got to between 60 to 80 yards from bed in tree by 0530 could not see but could hear movement in bed area. Then shooting and people yelling out in the swamp no movement from bed for rest of the day. left stand in tree just too two sticks down to be ready for sunday. When I got to truck 5 guys pulled up next to my truck and had 3 bucks in back of their truck 2 4 pt and one small 8pt said they were pushing deer in the swamp. of a lot of shots for just 3 deer. Sunday had no deer drives but same results could hear movement then all quiet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”