Stacking the odds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Indianahunter
500 Club

Stacking the odds

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:29 am

Went out this morning in preparation for season on a little stacking mission. There is this tiny woodlot about 3 acres that was heavily logged about 7 years ago at the family farm. Since that time it is so thick and tangled you literally can't walk through it a rabbit couldn't even get through these briers. There is absolutely no way to get in this little lot quietly and without jumping deer and no way to get a stand in there and get a shot without major landscape modification. I found so many beds in there this past spring after losing a quart of blood I knew since how there was no logical way to hunt it that I would use it to my advantage this upcoming season. After this spring I devised a plan to start stacking about a month before season. I went in there this morning and relocated all of the beds that I had found this spring (and there are many) and they are bare dirt and caked in hair....this place is HOT in bedding. I kicked out probably 9 deer one was a really wide 10 and then I took my sweaty hat and rubbed the inside of it in all the beds. I also wiped the sweat from my brow with my hand and smeared it on several trees along the entrance trails. I strategically entered from the South knowing I was going to push them to the next woods about 300 yards where I have places already set for ambush to the North. There is good bedding areas there as well but not as hot as this place. My hope is to go back there every weekend and kick these deer out to relocate them where I want them at the same time never disturbing the areas I actually hunt until the day I hunt them. Mission Stack em' N Thwack em' phase 1 initiated.

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
BukerR

Re: Stacking the odds

Unread postby BukerR » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:50 am

I hate to say it but that's the stupidest bit of deer hunting I believe I've ever heard....and from a fellow Indiana Native...Wow! Why on God's green earth would you jump deer out of a great bedding area like that? Why not find where they enter and exit and set up on trails leading to and from the beddding area?....You could push that big buck completly into the next county dude! :?: Whoever told you "STACKING", as you call it, is a good idea for killing big bucks, must hunt the property next door to you....lol :lol:

Not trying to belittle you or anything , but I can't imagine anyway that what you're doing is helping your chances of killing a big buck, or any deer for that matter..Better re-think that plan if you want to see any deer this fall....seriously.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:58 am

BukerR wrote:I hate to say it but that's the stupidest bit of deer hunting I believe I've ever heard....and from a fellow Indiana Native...Wow! Why on God's green earth would you jump deer out of a great bedding area like that? Why not find where they enter and exit and set up on trails leading to and from the beddding area?....You could push that big buck completly into the next county dude! :?: Whoever told you "STACKING", as you call it, is a good idea for killing big bucks, must hunt the property next door to you....lol :lol:

Not trying to belittle you or anything , but I can't imagine anyway that what you're doing is helping your chances of killing a big buck, or any deer for that matter..Better re-think that plan if you want to see any deer this fall....seriously.

It is actually an Andre' D'Aquisto technique. and since how I know where I am pushing them and I have the 1200 surrounding acres....It will be alright. This isn't my first rodeo. I killed a 144" buck bumping him from his bed like this 3 years ago to an area I knew he would go. This works on public as well. I know where they enter and exit but this wood lot is not easily or logically huntable...so I am stacking them to other known bedding areas I know they will relocate to. Shouldn't knock it before you try it. I believe Dan has killed deer that have been relocated to knowN bedding as well with intentional bumps. I waited until now to start for a reason as well. Conventional??? No.....Does it work....Yes with a bit of strategy and KNOWING where you will push them to but you have to put in the miles scouting in the off season. I will be a bit warmer and wish you the best of luck this season. God bless.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:12 am

BukerR wrote:I hate to say it but that's the stupidest bit of deer hunting I believe I've ever heard....and from a fellow Indiana Native...Wow! Why on God's green earth would you jump deer out of a great bedding area like that? Why not find where they enter and exit and set up on trails leading to and from the beddding area?....You could push that big buck completly into the next county dude! :?: Whoever told you "STACKING", as you call it, is a good idea for killing big bucks, must hunt the property next door to you....lol :lol:

Are you kidding me guy? This is the first post your put on this forum?

Im not sure who told you about this site or why you joined it, but if you think the above tactics are stupid or a bad idea, then your in for a reality check.

Clearly you didnt do any reading what so ever before you started shooting your mouth off about the first thing you read. The tactics used by the many successful hunters on this forum are going to be things you have never heard of and never tried, and maybe, if you were to stick around for a little while, you will start thinking about all of the tactics that you are currently using and realize that you shouldnt have embarrassed yourself on the first post.

Welcome to the Beast.
Last edited by GRFox on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:12 am

Welcome to The Beast BukerR!
Wow!! :shock: For your first post that was a little direct don't ya think??
I think you better get a little more familiar about what this site is about before you judge somebody like that. There are some great hunters here who are not afraid to share their tactics if you have an open mind.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:18 am

Sounds like a solid plan Indiana.

I also agree with what Dewy said BukerR, at least educate yourself on stacking before calling someone stupid. It is an advanced and proven tactic that can work. Oh and welcome to the site!
BukerR

Unread postby BukerR » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:22 am

Yep my first post and this is my last...Carry on. I'm obviously at the wrong site..I actually wanna kill whitetail deer not chase em out of their beds all summer long so my neighbors can shoot them.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:23 am

FYI I don't take offense to the comments because I know what I am doing and it has worked in the past. I appreciate the support from my fellow Beasts. Lots of great hunters here who get it done every year without leases or outfitters in places where no one else scores....Many whom I respect as better hunters than myself. Keep an open mind, stick around, and welcome to the Beast BuckerR
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:35 am

BukerR wrote:Yep my first post and this is my last...Carry on. I'm obviously at the wrong site..I actually wanna kill whitetail deer not chase em out of their beds all summer long so my neighbors can shoot them.

Well, I certainly hope you are not going to leave the site. Just to clarify on the technique should you decide to try it. You don't bump them all summer and you have to KNOW where they will relocate to. I spends dozens of hours every year in Feb - April locating every bed on the property and trying to identify what deer are using them. Timing and aforementioned knowledge of the other available bedding is critical. You don't just go in busting deer out every where. Another Andre' technique I can't wait to do is called bump em and dump em...he will SOFT bump a buck from it's bed and kill it the next morning. I have yet to have this opportunity, but am always looking for it.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:04 am

BukerR wrote:Yep my first post and this is my last...Carry on. I'm obviously at the wrong site..I actually wanna kill whitetail deer not chase em out of their beds all summer long so my neighbors can shoot them.

just relax man :shock: not a big deal dont stress over it, if your knew to this tactic then read about and learn fisrt so you understand. jsut because some one gave you a bad coment dosnet mean that you have to leave..no one means harm on this sight...... and ya i understand that they jumped all over you but dont take it lke that.........but agin if you dont like learning and know every thing all ready then maby this sight isnt for you ....just some freindly advice please stay

tyler
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:35 am

Hey BukerR I like your brass. You have entered the Beast Zone however, where the conventional is unconventional. Just kick back and ride the "bUs" for with out U it's just bs. Welcome aboard.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:38 am

BuckR, stick around man, I apologize if I came at you a little harsh, its just the New Yorker in me.
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:42 am

Stick around and keep an open mind and you will be blown away by what you learn here..ive only been a member for a couple weeks and ive already learned things that i have never heard of anywhere else!! this site and the guys here know how to hunt and the tactics you learn here will take you to a different reality of the world of whitetails...by the way,, might i suggest going to the store here and purchasing the marsh bucks dvd...once you watch it you will not be able to put a price tag on it.
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:44 am

Indianahunter wrote:FYI I don't take offense to the comments because I know what I am doing and it has worked in the past. I appreciate the support from my fellow Beasts. Lots of great hunters here who get it done every year without leases or outfitters in places where no one else scores....Many whom I respect as better hunters than myself. Keep an open mind, stick around, and welcome to the Beast BuckerR

Very classy, for not ripping the new guy, a new one. You have gained some respect from me.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:38 pm

Stanley wrote:
Indianahunter wrote:FYI I don't take offense to the comments because I know what I am doing and it has worked in the past. I appreciate the support from my fellow Beasts. Lots of great hunters here who get it done every year without leases or outfitters in places where no one else scores....Many whom I respect as better hunters than myself. Keep an open mind, stick around, and welcome to the Beast BuckerR

Very classy, for not ripping the new guy, a new one. You have gained some respect from me.

Indiana is top notch classy. Sounds like a solid plan. I hope it works out for you!

BuckerR, if you are still around, check out Dans tactical videos available in the store. Marsh bucks and Hill country .....you will learn a TON as most all of us on this site have. Welcome to the beast!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”