not seeing coyotes.

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ihookem
500 Club

not seeing coyotes.

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:46 am

I know this is amazing to the rest of you , but I only saw one coyote while deer hunting , and 2 while I was calling them. Is it odd to not see coyotes? I hear so many here that seem to shoot them almost every year , and even several. I almost always hunt in the high grass in the marshes of S. E. Wisconsin . Do they not go in the high grass, and do they stay more in the hardwoods? I have called times and only feel I called one in . I was calling along a river and after 20 min. I decided they were not there. So, I take a walk and see a coyote but it was so fast and 30' away that I missed it. I then see this weird track in 6" of fresh snow , so I follow it. The thing would scratch the bark off of the trees here and there. The I see that it sat up on a stump , just to find out it did a half circle and came right into me calling but watching about 50' away. It was a bobcat that was watching me .In disbelief I walked over to where I was sitting along the river , just to see a coyote track come 5' from where I was calling This was northern Wis. . I have had the worst luck in S.E WIs too and never saw a coyote while deer hunting or even scouting. Is this strange? And do you all see a lot of them?

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: not seeing coyotes.

Unread postby Huntress13 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:40 am

I haven't purposely hunted them. I see them once in awhile while deer hunting, took a shot at one with my bow, found evidence I hit it, but didn't find it. Often when I see them it's closing time. They are on my trail cams mostly at night. A couple guys I know who are serious coyote hunters will hunt them at night.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:47 am

I don't hunt them, but do get quite a few on trail cam.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:57 am

I see them on cameras but have seen one in my life out hunting. I’ve seen more bears, owls, eagles and bobcats hunting than I have coyotes.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:11 pm

I passed up a shot at one early Opening Morning of firearms last year that I should have shot.
Any other day it would have been shot on sight.

I didn't see any coyotes this year, but my nephew killed two with his bow early archery on Private.

I think my neighbor killed 27 or 29 of them calling them last winter in a different County than we hunt.
He and one or two of his buddies managed to kill 19 of them in four nights, using an electronic call and thermal scopes.

They're tough "kids" (early Thirties I guess), and can sit out on the ground in a snowdrift all night long in January and February in Wisconsin, without dying excessively.

They sure earn 'em, and the pelts aren't worth much anyway.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:33 pm

Didn't see any on stand this year but I get pics and videos of them every season.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:41 pm

I had one come by the bow stand last month. I was set up on the edge of thick cover and didn’t have time to react. I’ve killed a couple while archery hunting for deer. Seeing lots on trailcams. Farm yard is full of their scat. Howling at sunset is usually skin crawling loud. No shortage here in east central Iowa.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:37 pm

Get a few on cams but not nearly as many this year. Seen a few while hunting in the past but it’s been a few years.

Heard a group of guys around my area who are dedicated yote hunters took out 125 in the past year. That’ll put a hurtin’ on them.
KoyoteKarl

Unread postby KoyoteKarl » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:32 pm

Screenshot_20231204-233508.png
They're still around...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:44 am

I see enough of them…

66997B7D-A8E4-4161-9578-997588D17275.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:22 am

My trailcams are full of them, but I rarely see them while hunting. They are smart little critters. I used to hunt them a lot 10yrs ago and most of the time they would hang up in the thick and watch. I ended up losing interest. Thinking about taking another stab at it. Thinkn about getting in the thick with them and calling instead of trying to call them out into the open. They tend to act like big bucks and use the terrain and cover to circle down wind. This is just my experience. All of my hunting has been during daylight so I'm sure they are more weary.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”