Bowhunting for Coyotes

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Silence

Bowhunting for Coyotes

Unread postby The Silence » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:20 pm

I wanted to get any advice you might have about bowhunting coyotes after the end of deer season. Any info would be great such as specific set-ups, how weather affects things, etc.........

I live in Iowa, and this year, snow is going to be around for a while.

Jwinfalt

Re: Bowhunting for Coyotes

Unread postby Jwinfalt » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:58 pm

I'd be interested as well if you have anything figured out. Got a bunch of trail Cam pictures of coyotes over the last few weeks. Thought about taking the boy out to chase this thing down with a bow. Sounds fun.
Marshhunter007
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Marshhunter007

Unread postby Marshhunter007 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:37 pm

If you look up Tim Wells Bowhunting a.k.a. Relentless Pursuit on youtube I'm sure you can find some predator bow hunts Tim does. That guy is crazy good with a bow!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:49 pm

There are several ways to hunt them. Calling is the most used. But they come in at night way better than during the day and are hard to get close and get fooled once then get real smart real quick. Bait works too... Road kills work great. And where night hunting is legal you can get around the thermal optics by hunting in snow and especially snow with some moon light. Biggest thing about coyotes is that 1st sit thing is not only a good idea, its pretty much a must. They really avoid any place they have smelled hunters. So you gotta keep moving.
Jwinfalt

Unread postby Jwinfalt » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:34 pm

Still getting regular cam pics of a couple running through the local public. I don't do much for trail cams but I keep a couple running to keep the boys Interested in what's out there.

Couple days ago I got a couple more daytime pics of deer bugging out, coyote following behind a few minutes later so the boy says hey dad, we gotta go get that guy, he's messing with the Deer we are going to whack soon.

So I called up the DNR and asked them, since the rules are pretty ambiguous on wandering through public coyotes. She sent me the number of the local warden and I called him up and we talked awhile about it. I essentially asked him hey look, if I head out on to this property and chase coyotes with the boy (with bow), what do i need to do to keep you and anyone else from thinking I am poaching deer.

His response was that it was next to impossible and that nobody does it and for sure people would call it in. That said, technically it's legal to pursue them with any weapon, anytime, anyhow, but just because it's legal doesn't mean it's a great idea. His concern was that some would probably come get in my face and make a bad experience for the boy. I'm a bit imposing at 6'5" 250... so anyone with cojones to be in my face probably CAN kick my but, and I do know some of the locals who hunt that land and for sure some real pieces of work are around. He was a nice guy and we talked turkey and the property and I was able to glean some good Intel aside from the coyote thing.

I thought it was an interesting take. I love impossible and difficult. In everything I do. I know taking an 8 year old out chasing coyotes with a bow is 99.99999% impossible. But it keeps him interested and is interestimg to me because its hard. I'm used to people laughing at hard stuff when I do it. But the take on assholes on public land just really goes to show how society has gotten.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:46 pm

Jwinfalt wrote:Still getting regular cam pics of a couple running through the local public. I don't do much for trail cams but I keep a couple running to keep the boys Interested in what's out there.

Couple days ago I got a couple more daytime pics of deer bugging out, coyote following behind a few minutes later so the boy says hey dad, we gotta go get that guy, he's messing with the Deer we are going to whack soon.

So I called up the DNR and asked them, since the rules are pretty ambiguous on wandering through public coyotes. She sent me the number of the local warden and I called him up and we talked awhile about it. I essentially asked him hey look, if I head out on to this property and chase coyotes with the boy (with bow), what do i need to do to keep you and anyone else from thinking I am poaching deer.

His response was that it was next to impossible and that nobody does it and for sure people would call it in. That said, technically it's legal to pursue them with any weapon, anytime, anyhow, but just because it's legal doesn't mean it's a great idea. His concern was that some would probably come get in my face and make a bad experience for the boy. I'm a bit imposing at 6'5" 250... so anyone with cojones to be in my face probably CAN kick my but, and I do know some of the locals who hunt that land and for sure some real pieces of work are around. He was a nice guy and we talked turkey and the property and I was able to glean some good Intel aside from the coyote thing.

I thought it was an interesting take. I love impossible and difficult. In everything I do. I know taking an 8 year old out chasing coyotes with a bow is 99.99999% impossible. But it keeps him interested and is interestimg to me because its hard. I'm used to people laughing at hard stuff when I do it. But the take on assholes on public land just really goes to show how society has gotten.

It's perfectly legal, so just DO it.
If confronted, stay calm, record the entire confrontation. And then have them charged with hunter harassment.
THAT'S what's illegal.

A Warden that discourages legal predator control is not somebody I want my tax dollars funding.
Jwinfalt

Unread postby Jwinfalt » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:42 pm

Good point. It's really just a way to keep my boy in the woods. That said, I called him because I realize just how easy it could be twisted in to poaching whitetails.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”