Need advice on Coyote calling

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buttonbuck
500 Club

Need advice on Coyote calling

Unread postby buttonbuck » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:48 am

Got hungry Coyotes I need to eliminate, got a decent wind tomorrow and about a 100 yard shot from a tree stand. Could I just get up in the tree with my screaming rabbit caller and hit it a few times and they just run in?

Tribute80

Re: Need advice on Coyote calling

Unread postby Tribute80 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:35 am

Im no expert and have only called a few in. It could work but may not. If it’s an open area I use the rabbit for a bit if that doesn’t work I switch to pup distress. If it’s thick I start quiet with a mouse then work to louder rabbit then quiet for a few minutes then pup distress. If that doesn’t work I move locations to another set up. Coyote hunting seems to be hit and miss in my experience but I also have done all my calling in the south east.

I have had more luck trapping them then calling them.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:09 am

Not quite :lol: ...new coyote guy here, also. Daytime hunting probably requires call/decoy to be put aways out, night tight is ok to be w/caller if you can use lighting legally. Remember, that coyote is looking for that sound or decoy, if you are with it he'll pick you off quickly. Good luck :handgestures-thumbup:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:55 pm

I used to really enjoy coyote hunting. These days I just have to many irons in the fire. But the most effective ways I found to hunt them didn’t require a call.

The #1 way I found to sack em up. (I live in a lake town) was get in a John boat on a large stretch of wooded bank that the waves are blowing to that bank. At daylight the yotes patrolled the banks for a easy meal of washed up fish and ducks. Easy Pickens!

#2 In the spring I would dump my fish guts daily in the corners of open pastures in an effort to feed the buzzard population. A drive by a daylight almost always provided ample shots at coyotes feeding on the buzzards groceries. In areas where baiting coyotes is illegal make certain you put out signage stating these fish heads are strictly for buzzards. Any coyotes caught stealing will be shot! :shifty:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:32 am

Called in a yote within 100 yards last weekend while crow hunting, using a crow fight call. Too bad I didn't have the rifle with me. We'll see if I get lucky again this weekend. It's yote mating season in OH, and I think the yotes are getting very curious and hungry.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”