Cod Slam!

• Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Cod Slam!

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:42 pm

I went to the ocean today to fish with a great fisherman. I call him the Dan of fishing. He goes everywhere and fishes like we hunt. And films and blogs a lot. Great guy, and honor to fish with him. His name is Kil Song. Lots of vids on utube. Like only he can do, he pulled by far the biggest one out of the ocean. But I did take high hook on the boat. Here's the fishing report from the boat (Dec 17). I'm Eric P from upstate, and the pic of me is on bottom right. (i'm in all orange with a skull and bones beanie)

https://islandcurrent.com/category/fishing-reports/

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Cod Slam!

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:47 pm

Looks like an awesome day. Never fished cod. Is the fishery recovering or still in shambles?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:49 pm

Nice!! :clap:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:53 pm

The GOM (gulf of Maine) cod are in collapse right now. You can't even keep any there. The GOM is where I'm familiar with. But there is a different batch of cod from a different breeding supply. They come in down by Rhode Island , where I was today, and stay for a short time in the winter. This is in the open zone, and there is a good amount. Plus they won't stick around forever.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:56 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:16 am

Sweet!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:34 am

That orange jump suit fits. :lol: congrats on a great day of fishing!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:36 am

I don't like orange, but when I wear it, it's for deep sea fishing. The weather was nasty. Wind and rain. Lots of puking going on. :mrgreen:

I'll be packing cod today, and eating as much as I can. Cod is the BEST for eating.

I also caught huge squid, black bass, porgy, cunner and mackeral. I'll take a pic of the squid if I can before I cut it all up. Wild looking critters, than change colors like the northern lights.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:43 am

Spysar wrote:I don't like orange, but when I wear it, it's for deep sea fishing. The weather was nasty. Wind and rain. Lots of puking going on. :mrgreen:

I'll be packing cod today, and eating as much as I can. Cod is the BEST for eating.

I also caught [glow=red]huge squid[/glow], black bass, porgy, cunner and mackeral. I'll take a pic of the squid if I can before I cut it all up. Wild looking critters, than change colors like the northern lights.

What is the fight like? Big runs? Spin in Circles?
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:54 am

They're not huge as in Humbolt size. The ones in RI are about 8 to 12" long. The one I got was about 18" long. Just an incidental catch, and no match for cod tackle.

When you fish for them with squid size tackle, still no big fight. They attack the jigs with the tenticles, and there tube body catches water as you pull them in. Slow and steady, no hook set or jerking motion or the tenticles break and you lose squid. As soon as they're out of water, they pump water and ink all over. They're delicious too! I'll target squid in May when they come near shore.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:56 am

Spysar wrote:I don't like orange, but when I wear it, it's for deep sea fishing. The weather was nasty. Wind and rain. Lots of puking going on. :mrgreen:

I also caught huge squid, black bass, porgy, cunner and mackeral. I'll take a pic of the squid if I can before I cut it all up. Wild looking critters, than change colors like the northern lights.

We used to catch the crude out of cod off the coast of Iceland. To me, especially if its never been frozen, Cod is perhaps the best tasting fish out there
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:14 am

DaveT1963 wrote:

We used to catch the crude out of cod off the coast of Iceland. To me, especially if its never been frozen, Cod is perhaps the best tasting fish out there

How long ago? That fishery, I think, has collapsed too.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:26 am

Must have been around 1996 or so. What happened to the fishery? Man it used to be phenominal back then. Iceland also had supreme salmon fishing in the rivers.... but bring a credit card or two ;)

Last edited by DaveT1963 on Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:39 am

Yeah, 20 years ago was good.

Canada overfished their cod. By the time it was closed, it was too late. To this day they have not come back. The GOM (gulf of Maine) is in near collapse. They are plenty of cod left now where if they do something, they will come back. If they continue with what is currently being done, those will be gone soon too.

Modern technology has surpassed what the cod can do to keep up. There's a lot to it. Big commercial fleets sit on the boards that make up the rules. They always figure out a way to rape the ocean. It's not just the cod. There are giant mid water trawls that scoop up all the herring(cod food) till their gone. The cod trawlers scoop up everything, including tons of by catch and short fish. Everything netted dies, and the non desirable get dumped back dead. I can only imagine the waste. The trawls rake the bottom with steel rollers that destroy the bottom habitat. They rape the whole ecosystem.

If it was all rod and reel fishing there would be tons of huge fish everywhere. But there's no money in that....
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:24 am

Spysar wrote:Yeah, 20 years ago was good.

Canada overfished their cod. By the time it was closed, it was too late. To this day they have not come back. The GOM (gulf of Maine) is in near collapse. They are plenty of cod left now where if they do something, they will come back. If they continue with what is currently being done, those will be gone soon too.

Modern technology has surpassed what the cod can do to keep up. There's a lot to it. Big commercial fleets sit on the boards that make up the rules. They always figure out a way to rape the ocean. It's not just the cod. There are giant mid water trawls that scoop up all the herring(cod food) till their gone. The cod trawlers scoop up everything, including tons of by catch and short fish. Everything netted dies, and the non desirable get dumped back dead. I can only imagine the waste. The trawls rake the bottom with steel rollers that destroy the bottom habitat. They rape the whole ecosystem.

If it was all rod and reel fishing there would be tons of huge fish everywhere. But there's no money in that....

That's a shame. IMHO - we have to impose limits on technology and methods. Many states are now legalizing crossbows in archery season..... my prediction is that seasons will eventually be shortened or deer herds will suffer - either way it will result in it being even harder on public land to connect with good deer numbers. Sorry but no way a cross bow presents the same level of difficulty as a bow does - that is why we were able to get separate archery seasons to begin with.

• Advertisement

Return to “Ocean / Sea fishing”