Fish On!!! Mega Muskies w/Pics

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Fish On!!! Mega Muskies w/Pics

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:33 am

My girlfriend's brother has a mid-May birthday, so this year we decided to do something a little different since he turned the big Four-0. It's also close to father's day, so we got her brother and dad a muskie fishing charter on lake St. Clair.

We went out with Captain Craig of Heatwave Fishing Charters. This was my first trip with him, and I would highly recommend him. Great captain, boat, and first mate. The guys really care about the health of the fish. The live well setup was impressive. Straight from the water, right into the live well. Unhooked in the live well. Rested for a few minutes, quick photos, live well again to freshen up, and then back to the lake. We went 5 for 5 and all fish were released to fight another day. Well run boat for sure.

Anyway, on with the pics and stories. Since it was the brother's birthday gift, we was up to bat first. The first mate had just set the second line in the water (about 5 minutes into fishing) when the first fish hooked up. A 45 1/2" 18lb'er. That set the bar pretty high right out the gate, a master angler caliber fish in the boat within 10 minutes.

My girlfriend's dad was up next. Not quite the same league as the first fish, but we were pumped to have 2 in the boat, and I was already happy with the trip, as the goal was to get them both their first muskies.

My girlfriend caught the third fish of the day and the smallest one. Again, I was pretty excited, as it was her first ever muskie as well.

Fishing was slow for a while, and about an hour and a half later, we hooked up with another one on the outside line (longest line) on the planer board. The first mate said it looked like a big fish, and it was. The drag stuck on the real and if it wasn't for the quick work of the first mate, who flipped the bail, the fish probably would have broke off, so, thanks again Gary! It took close to 10 minutes to get this one in because of all the line out and lots of instructions on reeling from the captain and first mate (I'm not very good), but I managed to get the fish boat side, and Gary (the first mate) made short work of the net job. A real monster. 50" fish and 30lbs. Pretty crazy to see something that size first hand. Needless to say, everyone on the boat was pretty excited. I'm pretty sure the captain said it was the first 50" fish of the season (which opened June 1st).

The size of the mouth... :shock:

My girlfriend closed out the trip with another dandy, a chunky 40" muskie.

It was definitely an experience, and I'd recommend Captain Craig of Heatwave to anyone who is interested in chasing some of these monsters.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Fish On!!! Mega Muskies w/Pics

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:39 am

Awesome... :clap:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:49 am

Wow!! That's an unbelievable day of musky fishing anywhere!! 8-)
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:00 am

Looks like big fun!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:11 am

Awesome! I'm a big musky Hunter myself :) I'm hoping to become as good of a deer hunter now :lol:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:38 am

Dewey wrote:Wow!! That's an unbelievable day of musky fishing anywhere!! 8-)

x2
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:56 am

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Those look like some fun fish. Congrats.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:31 pm

Beautiful fish !!!! Looks like a fun day!!
feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:40 pm

Congrats :clap:
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:30 pm

Great job to all and congrats
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:43 pm

8-)

A great day on the water!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:59 am

Wow! Those are huge. Congrats to all!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:25 pm

I missed this, but wow. Great trip
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:13 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:My girlfriend's brother has a mid-May birthday, so this year we decided to do something a little different since he turned the big Four-0. It's also close to father's day, so we got her brother and dad a muskie fishing charter on lake St. Clair.

We went out with Captain Craig of Heatwave Fishing Charters. This was my first trip with him, and I would highly recommend him. Great captain, boat, and first mate. The guys really care about the health of the fish. The live well setup was impressive. Straight from the water, right into the live well. Unhooked in the live well. Rested for a few minutes, quick photos, live well again to freshen up, and then back to the lake. We went 5 for 5 and all fish were released to fight another day. Well run boat for sure.

Anyway, on with the pics and stories. Since it was the brother's birthday gift, we was up to bat first. The first mate had just set the second line in the water (about 5 minutes into fishing) when the first fish hooked up. A 45 1/2" 18lb'er. That set the bar pretty high right out the gate, a master angler caliber fish in the boat within 10 minutes.

My girlfriend's dad was up next. Not quite the same league as the first fish, but we were pumped to have 2 in the boat, and I was already happy with the trip, as the goal was to get them both their first muskies.

My girlfriend caught the third fish of the day and the smallest one. Again, I was pretty excited, as it was her first ever muskie as well.

Fishing was slow for a while, and about an hour and a half later, we hooked up with another one on the outside line (longest line) on the planer board. The first mate said it looked like a big fish, and it was. The drag stuck on the real and if it wasn't for the quick work of the first mate, who flipped the bail, the fish probably would have broke off, so, thanks again Gary! It took close to 10 minutes to get this one in because of all the line out and lots of instructions on reeling from the captain and first mate (I'm not very good), but I managed to get the fish boat side, and Gary (the first mate) made short work of the net job. A real monster. 50" fish and 30lbs. Pretty crazy to see something that size first hand. Needless to say, everyone on the boat was pretty excited. I'm pretty sure the captain said it was the first 50" fish of the season (which opened June 1st).

The size of the mouth... :shock:

My girlfriend closed out the trip with another dandy, a chunky 40" muskie.

It was definitely an experience, and I'd recommend Captain Craig of Heatwave to anyone who is interested in chasing some of these monsters.

Is the Muskie Fishing always that good on St. Claire? I’ve always been under the impression they were hard to catch...fish of 10,000 casts and that sort of thing...

Also does he guide for smallmouth as well?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”