Bull heads & family fish fry.

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ihookem
500 Club

Re: Bull heads & family fish fry.

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:26 pm

This reminds me of a kid I was kind of friends with over 40 yrs ago. His mom and dad were getting divorced and neither one would buy groceries for the 2 boys so the older friend would eat whatever he could find. I insisted I keep sheepshead when fishing Lake Winnebago. One day we caught 43 bullheads and he ate everyone . I even ate some and they were good. The friendship ended on Oct. 5 , 1979 when we went shining deer. Asking why we were not using the spotlight , he said ha dont need one, then we saw 2 fawns in the moonlight and out came the 22 lr. Told me to hold the flashlight , or start walking. We poached 2 deer that night and I regretted it ever since. However, the deer got eaten, even the heart and liver. One time we were so hungry coming home form fishing one August night we saw the glow of the sweet corn tossils, We stopped and took 2 cobs each and ate them raw.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:35 pm

As a kid road trips for fish was a big deal. Its kind of not even part of society anymore and with modern cars and cell phones its no big deal now to drive 50 to 100 miles to fish. But it was back in the 70s. My Dad grew up in the great depression and never had much. Fishing was about gathering food, not sport. He would choose bullheads, bluegills, whitebass, or other species that filled coolers rather than game fish that you might get one or two of... We would all pile into an old beat up station wagon, stop and gas up and check oil and tires and head out to beaver dam lake, or Hustisford, or fox lake, or sometimes hickory street at the southern end of lake Winnebago and we would fill coolers with bullheads, whitebass, or what ever we could catch a lot of. Dad would have us up all night catching him night crawlers with a flashlight then up all night cleaning and cooking fish when we got back, It would always be a gathering when we got back and friends and neighbors and relatives would come for the fish fry. Everything cooked in lard and crushed saltine crackers for breading...

I miss those days dearly. Simple times when everyone got along and you had to earn your way thru life with sweat. I was the 11th child in my family. We were all skinny and had little if anything. A bullhead fry was about as good as it got...
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:22 am

A fish fry is always a good time and good memories for me.

We usually fished for meat - sometimes do C&R, but usually fishing for food. Often our vacations centered around fishing of some sort and a fish fry is always part of the fun.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:50 am

Years back, my late uncle used to know a good spot out on Lake Erie for perch. When they were hitting, we would bring them up two at a time every time the line went in. He would hold some of the biggest fish fries, with just mounds of fish on platters. So good!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”