Sturgeon spearing 22

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tribute80

Sturgeon spearing 22

Unread postby Tribute80 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:47 am

Heading to Lake Winnebago to try my luck at sturgeon spearing. I have never ice fished or been on ice. What should I expect?? What is my odds of actually seeing one of these fish? is there some kind of terrain feature on the bottom that I should target?

I was told to practice by staring in the toilet in low light conditions, I hope is better then that! :lol:

Any advise is appreciated.

Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Re: Sturgeon spearing 22

Unread postby Smitty » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:18 am

Good luck sorry I’ve nothing to offer I’ve been curious about this process myself. Let us know how it goes.
Haste makes waste
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:30 pm

If you have done zero scouting I would focus out in the mud. Switch out your decoys periodicly and hope for the best, success rates will be low. I've been spearing since 07 and have gotten 3.

There are guys that have relatively high success rates, but those are guys that are out weeks in advance scouting. It's no different than any other sport the more work you put into it will only increase your success %.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:52 pm

Also if you never have been on ice before I recommend going with someone that has experience out there. There will be a lot of people on the lake, but you need to know were you are going, ice conditions can change fast on Winnebago. I'd also recommend to stop in and talk to a local fishing club about current ice conditions for that area.

First- BE SAFE!!!!

Second- good luck and have fun sturgeon spearing
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:28 pm

We are going with someone who has been a lot so we should be good as far as safety. I think he kinda just goes to the same spot every year and it’s hit and miss. He is an old guy and kinda stuck in his ways but he is good company. I appreciate the info we will see what we can do.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:59 pm

Been hearing a lot of guys saying how great the ice is out there this year. For the most part it is pretty decent but all it takes is one bad crack. Last thing you wanna do is just roam around without knowing the lake well. No ice is safe ice.

This truck was just pulled out this week down by Fond du Lac.

Be safe and Good Luck.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:20 pm

Good luck, if you would like some help with anything, let me know, we will be out off of the SW shore.
clandestine.misfit

Unread postby clandestine.misfit » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:50 am

Tribute80 wrote:Heading to Lake Winnebago to try my luck at sturgeon spearing. I have never ice fished or been on ice. What should I expect?? What is my odds of actually seeing one of these fish? is there some kind of terrain feature on the bottom that I should target?

I was told to practice by staring in the toilet in low light conditions, I hope is better then that! :lol:

Any advise is appreciated.

Sounds about right. Have plenty of snacks. And it’s always good to pay attention to where you’re at even if you’re with someone who knows. Anything can happen.

Have fun! Hope you get to see one!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:47 am

Got this in my email……..

2022 Sturgeon Spearing Season Opens Feb. 12
Spearing Season Forecast Now Available

OSHKOSH, Wis. – A giant among Wisconsin’s inland fresh water fishes, the bottom‐dwelling lake sturgeon is a living fossil – a relic from the Middle Ages of fish evolution. The Winnebago system is home to one of the largest lake sturgeon populations in North America and is one of only two locations where lake sturgeon can be harvested with a spear.

The state’s annual sturgeon spearing season begins Feb. 12 and runs for 16 days (Feb. 27), or until any of the pre-determined harvest caps are met. The system-wide harvest caps for the 2022 season are 400 juvenile females, 875 adult females and 1,200 males.

Water Clarity Report

During the week of Jan. 24, 2022, the DNR conducted pre-season water clarity readings. Fourteen depth readings over six geographic regions of Lake Winnebago were taken. Reading locations were chosen by access and safety of travel conditions. The average water clarity was 10.71 feet. Strong winds prior to freeze-up and patches of open water that held strong into January likely played a role in the decreased average clarity this season.

Water appears to be a bit clearer in the northern portion of the lake, with fairly uniform visibility across Lake Winnebago. If stable weather patterns continue leading up to the sturgeon spearing season, spearers could see improved water clarity, but a longer spearing season is still anticipated.

Water clarity readings were not conducted on the Upriver Lakes as water clarity has less of an impact on Upriver Lakes harvest numbers. Preliminary reports from anglers and spearers out scouting on the Upriver Lakes indicate favorable water clarity in several areas again this season.

Registration Reminders

Any person who spears a sturgeon must accompany their fish to an official sturgeon registration station, and any harvested sturgeon must be registered by 2 p.m. on the day it was speared.

To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, this year’s DNR registration stations will again be operated as drive-thru only. Spearers should remain in their vehicles throughout the registration process. Spearers should place their harvested sturgeon in an easily accessible location to allow staff to collect important biological data such as the size, sex and tagging history of the sturgeon.

The DNR reminds spearers that any fish harvested from Lake Winnebago must be registered at one of the registration stations on Lake Winnebago. Likewise, any fish harvested from lakes Poygan, Butte des Morts or Winneconne must be registered at one of the Upriver Lakes registration stations.

Please check the 2022 sturgeon spearing regulations for more information on the registration process.

No Ice Is Safe Ice

Spearers are reminded that no ice is ever 100% safe and are urged to check with local fishing clubs and conservation groups near the area they plan to spear for local ice condition information. These groups regularly monitor conditions and maintain access points and ice roads. The DNR does not monitor ice conditions. Find safety tips on the ice safety webpage.

Additional season forecasts, a look at the 2022 water clarity report, and daily season harvest updates will be available throughout the season on the Winnebago system sturgeon spearing webpage. Spearers can also subscribe to receive helpful daily sturgeon harvest updates via email.
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:59 am

I made it in, and went out to see the ice. I don’t know that there is a more miserable type of fishing out there. Lol I’m excited to give it a go and experience it. I appreciate y’all’s insight. I’m gona record some of it to show my family as they have never been out of Florida so they should be entertained.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:12 pm

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:14 am

Any luck?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:56 pm

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:02 am

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:54 am

It was an experience but no luck. Didn’t see a fish in the hole but seen a few that got stabbed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”