Electric augers?

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wdog

Electric augers?

Unread postby wdog » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:23 pm

Looking at the ion, anyone have any experience using electric augers ?

Dewey

Re: Electric augers?

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:05 pm

I have a Jiffy E6 Lightning. Don’t have any experience with other brands. I’m sure others might drill faster but mine is good enough for me. Easily goes all day on a charge. Beats not carrying around my old heavy Model 30 and not having to mix gas anymore.

Also have a 4” Strikemaster Lazer hand auger converted with a cordless drill adapter. Using a 18v Milwaukee drill I’m surprised how many holes and how quick I can drill even in thick ice. This is perfect for panfish.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:08 pm

My K Drill with my milwaukee drill on it rips all day long.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:08 pm

I either use the model 30 (ain’t broke so don’t fix it) or use a 5” on my milwaukee drill. Model 30 is when I need the bigger hole, and I already have a drill and batteries so why buy more stuff that only gets used for a couple months.

You can get a new model 30 for stupid cheap. My dad and I actually sold our old one and bought 2 new ones and don’t think they were $400 total for the pair. Just a demo power head (never used) and a 8” auger. Mix one can of gas and you’re good for the year.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:09 pm

Those new ions are supposed to be the best out there.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:39 am

I have used ions. Probably the best out there.

I use k drill and Milwaukee drill. Love that setup. So light.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:19 am

I have the strikemaster and its great. I don't know one person that has switched to an electric auger and doesn't love it.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:49 am

Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:57 am

I have a strikemaster electric auger and it works nice, if I didn't win it, I would still be running the old model 30. I just feel with these new augers if you were to drop it off your tailgate you would be picking up a 100 pieces. The old model 30 you would pick it up and drill some more holes.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:14 am

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:I have a strikemaster electric auger and it works nice, if I didn't win it, I would still be running the old model 30. I just feel with these new augers if you were to drop it off your tailgate you would be picking up a 100 pieces. The old model 30 you would pick it up and drill some more holes.

My friend actually backed over my K Drill. It didn’t break. I think the blades bent over and just popped back? Totally thought it was toast. Can’t speak for the other electrics of course.
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:32 am

I have the NERO ice auger which can converted to hand auger or via a drill all in one. They come in several sizes and i use mainly the 7" but have the 5" too. I use the Milwaukee 18V brushless drill. I am one of the coaches from the local High School ice fishing Team, so help the kids setup and i am still on the same blades as they came with. I have drilled hundreds of holes over the past several years so really hold up. It drills fast holes and I have yet to kill my 5amp battery Milwaukee battery no matter the cold weather here in WI. I purchased it via HT Enterprises.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:37 am

I've owned an Ion for about 4 years now. It's been great for me. No complaints. Lots of good options out there though. I don't beat it up too bad, we only get a couple months of good ice if we're lucky where I'm at. My bro has the attachment for his Milwaukee drill and that works great for him too.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:41 am

szwampdonkey wrote:
Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:I have a strikemaster electric auger and it works nice, if I didn't win it, I would still be running the old model 30. I just feel with these new augers if you were to drop it off your tailgate you would be picking up a 100 pieces. The old model 30 you would pick it up and drill some more holes.

My friend actually backed over my K Drill. It didn’t break. I think the blades bent over and just popped back? Totally thought it was toast. Can’t speak for the other electrics of course.

Wow
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:54 am

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:

Wow

K drill is made in the USA probably why it survived.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:16 am

Strike King 8" for xmas 2 years ago - love it
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”