Hub shelters

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wdog

Hub shelters

Unread postby wdog » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:33 pm

Got some great replies on my electric auger post. Looking at buying a hub shanty , it’ll mostly be me, the wifey and two kids. So many options, any preference on brand, size, insulated vs non insulated? I will be dragging this thing by hand. Thanks for any info.

Chuck B
500 Club

Re: Hub shelters

Unread postby Chuck B » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:23 am

If dragging by hand, I would go non insulated. So much lighter.

With that many people in it, go big so you have some room in there.

You should be able to find some good deals on these soon with stores getting close to trying to get rid of their ice fishing gear for the season.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:02 am

All major brands are decent ( otter clam frabill Eskimo) definitely if you have kids I would go thermal, " you are only as warm as your coldest kid." I would also look for sewed in windows, I've seen some brands that have Velcro in windows. As far as size goes I'd go one size bigger than you think you need, room gets eaten up fast. Just my .02.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:18 am

I have an Insulated Eskimo Fatfish for long days, extremely cold days, or more of a “home base” i’ll often leave on the lake. Then i have a small uninsulated portable 3 man Eskimo for when it’s just me and my 9yo boy and we are hopping around more.

I will say, i started with just the big insulated Eskimo Fatfish and grew to HATE lugging that thing around. I highly recommend you go more light and mobile to start. The big insulated ones can really become a chore to deal with. The uninsulated ones stay plenty warm for kids if you run a Buddy heater.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:22 am

If you’re close to Dick Smiths in Delafield he is running a sale right now on all ice fishing stuff.

Their Clam and Eskimo shelters are 10% off so not a ton but it’s something on a $500 shelter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”