No
62%

Total votes: 34
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Pole be gone...

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:12 pm

While fishing for white bass one day a few years ago, I threw out a night crawler on the bottom and wedged the pole between boulders. I walked down a little ways to fetch something and Carol started yelling and when I got over there...
POLE BE GONE! :cry:
She said it started slamming on the rocks with a big fish tugging and she ran over there but before she got her hands on it... POLE BE GONE! :cry:
Tried snagging for it. But it was never seen again...

So, who has been there?

hunter_mike

Re: Pole be gone...

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:22 pm

One time casting from a canoe I managed to just throw the entire rod and reel into the lake. Of course it was my nicest rod and reel I owned :cry:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Haven’t lost one yet but came very close many times while trolling. It could get real expensive losing a musky rod.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:34 pm

Never lost one but have jumped in after a couple of them, luckily it wasn't too deep or they would have been gone.
Steelhead125
Facebook: Bruce Kozielec

Unread postby Steelhead125 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:35 pm

We would ride our bikes down to a local pond and fish for carp when I was a teenager. Usually would throw dough balls out and fish off the bottom. Lost two one summer but was able to recover one. No warning. It was like they were shot out of a cannon .
Public Land Hunter
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Yeah. I was fishing for carp with my kids one day. A carp pulled one of the rods in while I was likely untangling line or trying to pull a line out of a tree....typical when fishing with kids. I went in after the rod, found it and reeled in the carp.
Pretty sure I’ve see a few disappear while ice fishing too
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Ice fishing I came close since had jig pole standing up with jig in water when I went to get fish on a tip down. I come back to find my jig pole gone. Luckily my son, not sure why he had it in his ice fishing tackle, but pulls out a big zip lure with trebles hooks and was able to retrieve my rod and reel but the fish was gone. :(
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Last summer I was wade fishing when I heard a guy on the bank dropping f bombs. Said a giant fish pulled the pole out of his hands. A few minutes later I see a bobber come by barely under the water. Behind it was a zebco 33, I snatched and reeled in the monster! It was a channel cat that maybe went 2lb. Even though the man was happy to get his pole back he was convinced that it was not the same fish the muscled him out of his tackle. :?
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:49 pm

Was dragging crawlers on the wolf river with a buddy of mine. He set down his high dollar rod to set up a second set up. I said he was gonna lose the rod. Sure enough, flew over 30 seconds later.

Managed to snag it in under 5 minutes with a 20” walleye on the end of it. Still stunned we got it, let alone that fast
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:24 am

Just an ice chipper.
I thought the wrist tether would jump onto my wrist... :oops:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:12 am

Ugh...memories...I think I win this contest.
I was trolling offshore for tuna, I had a Shimano Tiagra 80 on my flatline with a nice and my favorite jet head spreader bar.
Fish bit, rod flew out of holder and safety strap broke...wham bam slam.
Around $1500 worth of gear gone. We start checking my awesome DIY safety straps made from retractable heavy duty telephone cord...every one was breakable by hand. :oops:
I caught a lot of fish on that bar in that position, I always say I was more pissed about the bar.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:05 am

Fishing with my mom and her dog, she's casting shrimp for snook, hits dog w shrimp, dog lets out a startled yelp, she gets flustered & drops pole thinking she hurt dog - mind you expensive outfit. I grabbed the bait/hook before it went overboard and was able to pull in the rod in after pulling all the line off the reel hand over hand and letting it out into the current...rod finally comes up. Reeled in all the line, handed her back the pole and said "don"t hook the dog". LOL! We had another one where she dropped or knocked rod out and got it back but I don't remember details - same spot tho. Getting old sucks for sure.

This past year dad wanted to catch redfish, so we went out and he tries to motor me over the schools of mullet to throw the cast net. As usual, it aint happening and I end up having to make max long tosses to get bait. Gearing up for a long toss and a rod got tangled in the net - launched that puppy! Threw it a good 30 feet. LOL! Immediately tossed anchor over and got ready to start dredging with treble hook - look over and see a color spot under the - it was the cork bobber we had on the pole! 2 casts later, the rod was back in boat and we resumed chasing bait.

Last one - my brother in law is a shore fishing master. So he's fishing off a dam, turns to do something, hears splash and his favorite pole is gone. Siiigggh... continues to fish with 2nd pole. About 30 minutes later he sees a red/white bobber swim by about 5 ft down. Then his other bobber goes under - long story short it as a 20-inch bass, had first hook in gut and ate 2nd bait - he got his pole back. LOL!

Yeah, some fun memories. Haven't lost a pole yet, have had a few swim but so far they keep coming home.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 am

Had two poles with separate rigs for bass fishing while out in my kayak on the river a couple of years ago. I was working on landing a bass I had just pulled out of a calm pool, and fighting the current at the same time. I didn't realize my other pole went in the water , until well after I landed the fish. Got out and waided through that area back and forth at least a half-dozen times but never found the pole. I only have cheap crap, but that was a good fishing pole and reel. :cry:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”