Kayak

• Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

Kayak

Unread postby Moose » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:31 am

So i sold my jon boat and now kinda wish i had it back. Im thinking about getting a kayak but have never been around one or actually even know anyone personally that owns one. Are they easy to fish out of? Are they hard to learn how to use? I would use it on small lakes around 200 to 400 acres and some ponds. Its alot cheaper then a new jon boat but not sure if i would be happy with a kayak. Any suggestions would be great.

Wetfoot
500 Club

Re: Kayak

Unread postby Wetfoot » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:40 am

Having fished out of a canoe (forever it seems), I was a little skeptical about using a kayak. Last summer, I spent a day on the river in a kayak and was surprised at how maneuverable it was. Very stable and fun. I went out and bought one immediately. I went a little higher end (about $1K)as I wanted something with a very comfortable seat. You will find a 10 footer to be very maneuverable, a 12-14 footer will track better. A sit in was my choice as they are much lighter to load and unload. A sit on is stable enough to stand on but they are pricier, heavier and more expensive. Good Luck whatever you decide on.
Jlucky

Unread postby Jlucky » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:15 am

Bought a kayak for 150$ at menards. Viper 10 foot I believe. It's amazing and I use mine almost weekly. It has foot supports and back rest. I mainly use it on rivers and creeks.
kher

Unread postby kher » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:00 am

Kayaks are great. There are two main different types of kayaks, sit on top and sit in. Also kayaks are easy maintenance and depending on your state like mine in MN, 10 ft and under you do not need to register the watercraft.

I find that the sit on top kayaks are easier for me to fish out from because it kinda puts you above the water and at an elevated position to fish from v.s a sit where you are sitting lower to the water.

Other things to consider for a kayak is the right paddle for you and the kayak you purchase as well as the proper way to paddle. some youtube videos on both will give you a better idea.

The last thing about a kayak, it's fun, stealthy, fast, and you can use it for fishing and hunting. Depending on your budget some great kayaks you can look at are vibe kayaks, lifetime, Jackson kayaks, Hobie, , wilderness, bass pro shop ascend, old town, and feel free. There are a ton of options, let me know if you have additional questions.
“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:12 am

Thanks guys! Seems like everyone has good things to say about them. I have watched alot of YouTube videos just leary on how easy they are to fish out of and how safe they are. Sounds like i should buy a cheaper one and give it a try. Any paddle suggestions would be great.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:04 am

Don’t know what part of the country u r from. But in my neck of the woods they are a pita to fish out of. Really no diff than a canoe or flat bottom. If u can deal with that then u won’t have any probs. The big stinker for me is staying still once on the fish.

I prefer a fishing tube or just wading so I don’t have to jack with it. When fish are deep and water isn’t to frigid I prefer a kickboat which I maneuver with dive fins. Can sneak in and stay on top of em without the constant tossing a anchor and playing dizzy dinosaurs
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”