The Legend of Big Moe

• Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

The Legend of Big Moe

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:13 am

Everyone loves a big buck story, but what about a giant fish story! The kind of fish that not only is a monster but has an attitude to plum hurt people. The legend of big moe started 10 years ago and is still going strong til this day.

Big Moe is a flathead catfish over 6’ long and well over 100lbs. I’ve had my hands on him 3 different times and my buddy had him another 4 and it never ended well for the fisherman. Big Moe is all scared up and has a big chunk missing from the top of his head covered in white scar tissue.

In my time noodling I would say it’s not exactly what most people think it is. Atleast in my case. I set the table by giving them a hole that gives me the upper hand. Would say a high percentage of the bigger fish I have caught don’t fire off and latch onto your hand. In fact most of em let me work my hands in there mouth and get my footing. It’s not til u go to pull them out when all heck breaks loose. This is not Big Moes mo! He hits you with everything he’s got right out the gate.

I’ve heard rodeo bull riders talk about bulls who have just learned how to chunk guys and are dang near impossible to ride because of it. I believe something similar is the case with this giant who would smash all kinds of records.

Not only does he hit u like a ton of bricks from the start. But he is mean and even once free he circles back and attacks! Either grabbing your foot or just flying into abdomen like a billy goat. He has hyperextended my elbow, broke 3 of my friends fingers, stole one of my shoes, and knocked the wind out of me multiple times.

This year the water level was a bit to high to go poking around his yearly bed. I’m also hoping another year of age might start to swing the odds. Until the day finally comes when I slay the Beast he will always be just Legend.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
oldrank

Re: The Legend of Big Moe

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:46 am

Great story.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:15 am

That’s cool Boogie
:clap:
The new legend will be the one that pulls Big Moe out
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:38 pm

8-)

Great story boogie. I hope you get another go round with big Moe...and survive :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:47 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:8-)

Great story boogie. I hope you get another go round with big Moe...and survive :lol:

Thanks JM! Not to many things in the wild make me cross my fingers praying that they ain’t home. But this mama Jama scares the bejesus out of me. Easy to tell it’s him, it’s a 5’ concrete culvert he will hang his tail out 1’. Then it’s a buckle up it’s about to be a bumpy ride. I’m probably a bit intimidated b4 I ever start. Maybe I should dawn some brass knuckles and start swinging :lol:

I honestly don’t believe I will ever get him. Some things just are not made to tame but I got the memories and scars to prove it. Even though I would just take a hero shot and let him free I suspect somethings are better off as simply a Legend.
-John Wayne-
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:04 am

Sounds like a fish story!! :doh: ;) :lol: 8-)
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:30 am

stash59 wrote:Sounds like a fish story!! :doh: ;) :lol: 8-)

Maybe a fish story..... Maybe not. But for grins I will let you know when he is home and invite ya down. I will be the guy on the bank with the video camera laughing . Big Moe doesn’t play around b4 u even get close to the pipe he fires off and is on top of u. I only tell u this so you know you got your hands on the right one :lol:
-John Wayne-
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:24 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
stash59 wrote:Sounds like a fish story!! :doh: ;) :lol: 8-)

Maybe a fish story..... Maybe not. But for grins I will let you know when he is home and invite ya down. I will be the guy on the bank with the video camera laughing . Big Moe doesn’t play around b4 u even get close to the pipe he fires off and is on top of u. I only tell u this so you know you got your hands on the right one :lol:

I believe ya. Was just funnin'! I have a hard time walking on dry land. You'd be calling search and rescue. If I tried wading even a small creek!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:34 pm

I know u were Mr Stash you got a great sense of humor so I was just funnin’ back. But the offer is always on the table :lol:
-John Wayne-
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:46 pm

I always wanted to noddle. Up here in wisconsin I’d be afraid of getting bit by a snapping turtle. Do you guys not have snappers in TX?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:26 pm

We do. We even got some giant alligator snappers. Noodling is an art, meaning you need someone to teach you so u don’t get badly hurt. U don’t just run around sticking your hand up in anything. Much like buck bedding fish pick spots for a reason and use the same beds repeatedly year after year during the spawn. It’s how I always find big Moe.

I do things maybe different then some I really dunno. But I strategically give them a bed (yes diff than deer) but u put a big pipe or barrel on a sloping point with a sandy or gravel bottom that drops off into the creek channel in the shade. The big cats will flock to it like the salmon of Capistrano. I bust a hole in the side of it so I can feel if there is a fish in it and which way he is facing b4 I go sticking my hand in anything. As a general rule of thumb if there’s a big catfish in there u don’t have to worry bout snapping turtles. If you believe u r Standing in a beavers trench don’t go sticking your hand in anything. If u r interested in doing it find someone who knows what the heck they are doing and pick there brain. Use a life jacket, yes I’ve seen people get tail slapped upside the head and knocked smooth out.

It’s fun and exciting and not really dangerous if you have someone teach you the do’s and don'ts. I’ve seen some horrific stuff since noodling became somewhat popular. A incident that comes to mind happened just a few years ago. A young guy took a tractor jack under water and raised a huge chunk of concrete. He went back a week later and the fight was on. With the swipe of a tail the young man dug his own grave. Be safe!
-John Wayne-
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:39 pm

....man. Sounds cool and scary at the same time. As far as Ik, nobody noodles up here. We have some nice flatheads too. I probably should just stick to pulling smallmouth out of the river.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:08 am

He must be related to the volkswagon sized mudcats below the dam rollers
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:19 am

muddy wrote:He must be related to the volkswagon sized mudcats below the dam rollers

Ha! I take it that story is popular on every lake. I remember a while back you posted a pic holding 2 biggens. I believe u said you worked for some fish agency but I’m not positive. I’ve always been curious of what are the best conditions for a flathead to reach its full potential? I only ask cause for whatever reason they get way bigger here than in other neighboring lakes. Blue cat to. But other species like bass, Crappie etc.... seem to grow bigger in the neighboring lakes. Just always been curious to the why
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:31 am

matt1336 wrote:....man. Sounds cool and scary at the same time. As far as Ik, nobody noodles up here. We have some nice flatheads too. I probably should just stick to pulling smallmouth out of the river.

Matt I don’t wanna scare you from trying a hobby u might really enjoy. Just saying a lot of guys watch a catch on YouTube and assume that guy is sticking his hand up in anything. They can’t see what’s under the water and don’t understand the guy approached the spot knowing exactly where he would stick his hand. The worst I recall ever being hurt was while wrestling a big fish out of a ball of tree roots. I felt something jab in my forearm like something fierce. I thought I had been snake bit. I tried to let go of the fish but he kept grabbing and tugging digging whatever farther in my arm. Fish finally let go but I was still stuck to the tree roots with my head barely above water. I grabbed it with my other hand and ripped it free from the roots. Was a big rattletrap someone broke off. Had that treble buried in my arm past the eye. Freak stuff can happen.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”