A Crappie Life

• Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: A Crappie Life

Unread postby headgear » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:15 pm

Hard to beat a good crappie outing. Well done boogie!

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:19 am

Was back in hot pursuit this morning. Was fishing stumps in the back of a cove. Was some kind of fish on every dang stump. Caught lots of bass, sand bass, catfish and my very first bowfin. I didn’t even know what the sucker was I had to look it up. Anywho fun morning

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:48 am

Limits!!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:21 am

Highlights from today. Plan on going again tomorrow. This stuff gets addicting :lol:

-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:02 am

Took my daughter with me this morning. All was going well until she lost her rod. I no longer got the words out of my mouth….Don’t just sit your rod down. When off it went. Can’t say never done the same :lol: All in all a fun memorable morning.

-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:50 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Ewwww…. Just found out the local chamber of commerce is hosting a crappie tournament on my lake April 2. Hadn’t had one in 7 years. They implemented rules to try to screw me. Open to all fishing. Boats, boat slips, and bank fishing. *no wadding allowed* It’s a team tournament so I reached out to my dad and his boat. Watch this! :lol:

Go get em’ tiger.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:11 am

Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Ewwww…. Just found out the local chamber of commerce is hosting a crappie tournament on my lake April 2. Hadn’t had one in 7 years. They implemented rules to try to screw me. Open to all fishing. Boats, boat slips, and bank fishing. *no wadding allowed* It’s a team tournament so I reached out to my dad and his boat. Watch this! :lol:

Go get em’ tiger.

I don’t think it’s gonna happen. Last I heard only 6 teams entered. As of yesterday they said not enough participation. Was projected to be 40 teams and pay $2500 to first place. My father is going to fish a bass tournament tomorrow instead. Seems to be a more lucrative deal. Bass fishing is just way more popular here and easier to get lots of anglers. I can’t guarantee I would have won but I really liked my odds. Heck I’ve been out there every day!
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:24 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Go get em’ tiger.

I don’t think it’s gonna happen. Last I heard only 6 teams entered. As of yesterday they said not enough participation. Was projected to be 40 teams and pay $2500 to first place. My father is going to fish a bass tournament tomorrow instead. Seems to be a more lucrative deal. Bass fishing is just way more popular here and easier to get lots of anglers. I can’t guarantee I would have won but I really liked my odds. Heck I’ve been out there every day!

Bunch of sore losers. They all heard the Crappie Guru was gonna compete and ran back home cryin’ to momma. :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:54 am

Well since I practiced so hard for this dang tournament I figured I would see how I would have done. Crappie tournaments you weigh in your top 7 fish. I had 12.91 pounds. A personal best for me on this lake. Typically 10 or 11 pounds wins it. Also had my 2 biggest fish come off right b4 I grabbed em. Back to back off the same log. Crazy how that stuff happens. Only fishies I lost all day. Anywho had a good time. Also tournaments typically last til 3 but around noon my stomach started sounding like a buck roar so I called it a day.

-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:31 am

Yahtzee!

-John Wayne-
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:22 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Well since I practiced so hard for this dang tournament I figured I would see how I would have done. Crappie tournaments you weigh in your top 7 fish. I had 12.91 pounds. A personal best for me on this lake. Typically 10 or 11 pounds wins it. Also had my 2 biggest fish come off right b4 I grabbed em. Back to back off the same log. Crazy how that stuff happens. Only fishies I lost all day. Anywho had a good time. Also tournaments typically last til 3 but around noon my stomach started sounding like a buck roar so I called it a day.

Man you don’t use a scoop net?

I know they can get in the way in a small boat and they can slow ya down. I’ve always used a net when crappie fishing.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:40 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Well since I practiced so hard for this dang tournament I figured I would see how I would have done. Crappie tournaments you weigh in your top 7 fish. I had 12.91 pounds. A personal best for me on this lake. Typically 10 or 11 pounds wins it. Also had my 2 biggest fish come off right b4 I grabbed em. Back to back off the same log. Crazy how that stuff happens. Only fishies I lost all day. Anywho had a good time. Also tournaments typically last til 3 but around noon my stomach started sounding like a buck roar so I called it a day.

I know they can get in the way in a small boat and they can slow ya down. I’ve always used a net when crappie fishing.

Na man I don’t use a scoop net. 99% of the time I’m Wade fishing. The other 1% I’m in this lil kickboat thing with dive fins on. I think cause of the lower angle vs a boat a net isn’t as important. If I can get them out of the cover and ontop of water they don’t come off. Now that I said that I will probably dump 10 tomorrow :lol:
-John Wayne-
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:09 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:

Na man I don’t use a scoop net. 99% of the time I’m Wade fishing. The other 1% I’m in this lil kickboat thing with dive fins on. I think cause of the lower angle vs a boat a net isn’t as important. If I can get them out of the cover and ontop of water they don’t come off. Now that I said that I will probably dump 10 tomorrow :lol:

That makes sense, I can see it being easier to get a hand on them if you at water level. I always end up with a long pole or in a boat that makes pulling the hook out of the crappies mouth more likely.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:16 am

I’ve lost a lot of crappie that I tried to grab by hand. Then after the heartbreak and lost fish I look over at the net laying in the bottom of the boat. It adds insult to injury in that moment.

I guess if you don’t have a net it’s less hurtful.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:42 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:I’ve lost a lot of crappie that I tried to grab by hand. Then after the heartbreak and lost fish I look over at the net laying in the bottom of the boat. It adds insult to injury in that moment.

I guess if you don’t have a net it’s less hurtful.

There’s a couple reasons I never take a net. First being like I said I’ve never felt the need for one. But I’m usually wading through a nasty mess of either buckbrush, weeds, Lilly pads, vines, etc… a net floating behind me would just constantly get tangled in all sorts of stuff all day. I use a 10’ rod with about a ft of line hanging out the end. When I hang a fish I slide my rod through my hand where my right hand is pretty close to the tip of rod. I swing the fish to my left side and pen him against my leg with my left hand. Then let loose of the rod with my right and stick my thumb in its mouth. Might sound complicated but a very simple system :lol:
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”