A Crappie Life

• Advertisement

HB Store

Stingray713
500 Club

Re: A Crappie Life

Unread postby Stingray713 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:05 pm

Daughter caught a few this evening. Beautiful fish.
D7A03D9C-B414-446F-9057-DD20A4B1EBF7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Strategically Inefficient
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:23 am

Boogie - you ever do any slip bobber fishing in deeper water? Nothing crazy 6-8 ft deep, roaming schools I would guess.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:40 pm

Rich M wrote:Boogie - you ever do any slip bobber fishing in deeper water? Nothing crazy 6-8 ft deep, roaming schools I would guess.

Yes, when I’m in open water I do. Generally I do it to find em. Then I long pole em and take my time. A big benefit of Wade fishing barefoot is u feel their beds. So when I go back i cork it. Good question!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:47 pm

Thanks!

We used to trolling curly tails and fill up buckets w black crappie. Move to FL and fish saltwater for 26 yrs.

Most everyone down here is spider rigging. And most of the saltwater fishing is either dead or closed season right now and we been discussing trying for specs. 25 fish limit. Eat good…

I have advanced sonar and thinking to do some slip bobbers w minnows on any schools we find. Lake we’re talking up is miles wise but does have a main and a secondary channel to start with…
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:03 pm

Rich M wrote:Thanks!

We used to trolling curly tails and fill up buckets w black crappie. Move to FL and fish saltwater for 26 yrs.

Most everyone down here is spider rigging. And most of the saltwater fishing is either dead or closed season right now and we been discussing trying for specs. 25 fish limit. Eat good…

I have advanced sonar and thinking to do some slip bobbers w minnows on any schools we find. Lake we’re talking up is miles wise but does have a main and a secondary channel to start with…

In my parts that spider rigging/sonar stuff has a very small window. I handle my business in very shallow/thick cover where that stuff isn’t a player. Open water fish are tougher to catch in my experience.

Winter is where I think minnows shine. Breeding spring it’s to slow. I can get a dozen in the basket on a jig in the amount of time it takes a live bait fisherman to pull out hook, put fish in box, and re bait.

Wade, jig fishing, is the same as hunting non pressured deer. You get into places others can’t and reap the rewards. My personal fav is Lilly pads on hard pan points. But back behind buck brush is probably the best.
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:16 am

Boogieman1 wrote:In my parts that spider rigging/sonar stuff has a very small window. I handle my business in very shallow/thick cover where that stuff isn’t a player. Open water fish are tougher to catch in my experience.

Winter is where I think minnows shine. Breeding spring it’s to slow. I can get a dozen in the basket on a jig in the amount of time it takes a live bait fisherman to pull out hook, put fish in box, and re bait.

Wade, jig fishing, is the same as hunting non pressured deer. You get into places others can’t and reap the rewards. My personal fav is Lilly pads on hard pan points. But back behind buck brush is probably the best.

I haven't heard of anyone wading - most of the guys do the big water bit, others focus on fishing up in the standing timber or willows when the fish are in there spawning, and some guys work the boat docks and lily pads.

Have you tried maribou on your crappie jigs? Or do you find the hackles better? And do you use rubber baits at all?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:59 am

I’m sort of a beginner in crappie fishing. I can catch 3-4 in a row. Then it goes cold. I’m sure it’s like deer hunting you have to pay your dues before you start slaying them. Good topic. Im starting to think about fishing again
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:54 am

Rich M wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:In my parts that spider rigging/sonar stuff has a very small window. I handle my business in very shallow/thick cover where that stuff isn’t a player. Open water fish are tougher to catch in my experience.

I haven't heard of anyone wading - most of the guys do the big water bit, others focus on fishing up in the standing timber or willows when the fish are in there spawning, and some guys work the boat docks and lily pads.

Have you tried maribou on your crappie jigs? Or do you find the hackles better? And do you use rubber baits at all?

I have used every type of crappie jig known to mankind at some point. I prefer hackle just cause it looks cool to me. Marabou work just as well. I like feather jigs for Wade fishing mainly so I don’t have to carry a bunch of skirts. They tend to float away out of my pocket. I just put 3 or 4 feather jigs on my hat and I’m g2g.

I use plastic later in the spring when things start getting mossy. That slimy moss sticks to feather jigs like some fierce. I put a lil olive oil in my packet of jig skirts and they glide right through the moss.
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:44 am

Hawthorne wrote:I’m sort of a beginner in crappie fishing. I can catch 3-4 in a row. Then it goes cold. I’m sure it’s like deer hunting you have to pay your dues before you start slaying them. Good topic. Im starting to think about fishing again

Yes sir it like anything else. To me though it sounds like your fishing a single spot. Once plucked it’s a dead zone or your simply waiting for one to swim by. In my experience it’s a run and gun game. Pluck the easy ones and keep it moving. I prefer visible cover, be it stumps, pads, buck brush, etc…. just easier for me to slow down when I can see the cover. Keep after it I’m sure you will get it down
-John Wayne-
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:57 am

Hammered em all summer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”