Fishing with small kids (what’s your approach)

adrenalin
500 Club

Re: Fishing with small kids (what’s your approach)

Unread postby adrenalin » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:41 am

I take my son almost every weekend. He just turned 6. Bring junk food, hot chocolate, a shanty and heater. I bring hockey sticks and a shovel to make a little spot to pass a puck back and forth. Don't plan on all day. A few hours maybe be all you get. But it gets better every year. Kids love northerns on tip ups.

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:12 pm

All good stuff guys. Just reporting back to let you know how it went.

It went from zero to sixty pretty quick. I was going to carefully plan out a future outing but next thing I knew I pulled out that ancient jiffy auger that looks like a pc of scrap. Started right up. Got my shanty down and found my rods. Then I went to a spot on little bay de noc where we didn’t have to go far at all. I had never hammered fish anywhere out there in feb but have caught perch amd walleye in this spot before in mid winter.

She was wound up. Held the rod about 10 minutes then started playing with the windows and zippers. Imagination running wild. Then snacks, then hot chocolate. Then throwing pretzels in the hole so the fish could come up and eat them.. we hit the 1 hour mark and she was talking about ma ma and wanted to go home. Then I told her to go outside and play. So she did laps around the shanty hooting and hollering a while.

In before dark Finally I got a fish on her pole. She reeled it up part way but I had to finish it for her. Bout a 6-8” walleye :lol: she was excited a while then. She wanted to eat it but was happy to let it go too. Mostly just wanted to hold it. Then she looked at me and said I caught a fish daddy but you didn’t catch anything!

A bit later we caught another minny walleye. It was getting pretty dark so we packed it in. Even got to see a coyote out on the ice. She says she’ll go again but basically she’s gonna be hot if we don’t catch something to take home to eat with mama :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:15 pm

Taking little kids fishing?

Is marijuana legal in your state?!

Haha jk. Snacks and laughter. Always fun to bring a 5 gallon bucket and fill with lake water and put a fish or two in it for the little kids to watch and play with. Keeps them occupied.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:52 am

Chuck B wrote:Taking little kids fishing?

Is marijuana legal in your state?!

Haha jk. Snacks and laughter. Always fun to bring a 5 gallon bucket and fill with lake water and put a fish or two in it for the little kids to watch and play with. Keeps them occupied.

Great idea!!!

I mean the bucket of water w a fish, not the marijuana :lol:

Reminds me of a spring day on the ice. There was a large puddle within the slush and my cousins and I released a few fish we had caught in their and chased em around. Our dads were probably thrilled that we had some entertainment while they pulled fish !! :lol:
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:01 am

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:All good stuff guys. Just reporting back to let you know how it went.

It went from zero to sixty pretty quick. I was going to carefully plan out a future outing but next thing I knew I pulled out that ancient jiffy auger that looks like a pc of scrap. Started right up. Got my shanty down and found my rods. Then I went to a spot on little bay de noc where we didn’t have to go far at all. I had never hammered fish anywhere out there in feb but have caught perch amd walleye in this spot before in mid winter.

She was wound up. Held the rod about 10 minutes then started playing with the windows and zippers. Imagination running wild. Then snacks, then hot chocolate. Then throwing pretzels in the hole so the fish could come up and eat them.. we hit the 1 hour mark and she was talking about ma ma and wanted to go home. Then I told her to go outside and play. So she did laps around the shanty hooting and hollering a while.

In before dark Finally I got a fish on her pole. She reeled it up part way but I had to finish it for her. Bout a 6-8” walleye :lol: she was excited a while then. She wanted to eat it but was happy to let it go too. Mostly just wanted to hold it. Then she looked at me and said I caught a fish daddy but you didn’t catch anything!

A bit later we caught another minny walleye. It was getting pretty dark so we packed it in. Even got to see a coyote out on the ice. She says she’ll go again but basically she’s gonna be hot if we don’t catch something to take home to eat with mama :lol:

Getting skunked with the kids is the worst! Glad you were able to get a little action to keep the momentum up for next time.
Ryan
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:26 am

My dad always took me out to places we got quantity over quality. As I got older we started going for quality and more of a challenge. Still caught decent fish but man we knew monona bay like the back of our hands. Same with some other madison lakes and stuff in Waukesha county.

And he also let me struggle on my own when I could, and would come help me out when I needed it. Learned a lot from that. Never made us stay if I wasn’t having fun, always took me out to breakfast before and lunch after. Still stuff we do to this day actually.

Honestly I actually enjoy fishing more cause it’s time for the 2 of us together. Don’t enjoy it as much when it’s me and someone else or just me. Especially now that I live a hour away from my parents, it’s just an excuse to spend the day together.

So my advice, go after panfish in an area known for numbers and not few but nice fish. Set some tip ups if there are pike -and bass (small snot rockets are a blast to catch when you’re 6). Bring a flasher for them to use or get them a cheap one. Snacks, hot chocolate or coffee (started drinking coffee when I was like 9), and don’t go when it’s stupid cold. And make it about them. It’s an investment
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:49 am

Keep them warm/dry & catch lots of fish!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:53 am

I have had the best success taking young kids to local ponds which have a good population of small panfish. Their excitement is unbelievable! No boat needed, they just like catching fish! Catch and release is the best, and don't think you'll get any fishing done for yourself. Put them first, and make it fun. Lots of snacks, and leave when they want to leave!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:35 am

Great outing wilderness! Glad she enjoyed it.
My new tactic with my boy this year is ice skates…whatever it takes to get them out!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:28 am

Wow wilderness! You did better than I did. I took my oldest son and met up with my buddy and his two boys. We no more than set up the tent and got it warmed up to about 80 degrees inside and one boy started crying and saying he wanted to go home. Then the chain reaction started and they all said they wanted to go home. We had a huge clam tent with a cot in it and blankets and toys and snacks. Too many cranky kids in one space I guess :think:

We took them back in and sat in the resort and had chocolate milk and lunch and then went home. Now they all told their moms they want to go ice fishing again. :roll: :lol:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:27 am

sloughdog wrote:Great outing wilderness! Glad she enjoyed it.
My new tactic with my boy this year is ice skates…whatever it takes to get them out!

That’s a great idea! We have too much snow usually for that but I like that tactic!
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:37 am

hunter_mike wrote:Wow wilderness! You did better than I did. I took my oldest son and met up with my buddy and his two boys. We no more than set up the tent and got it warmed up to about 80 degrees inside and one boy started crying and saying he wanted to go home. Then the chain reaction started and they all said they wanted to go home. We had a huge clam tent with a cot in it and blankets and toys and snacks. Too many cranky kids in one space I guess :think:

We took them back in and sat in the resort and had chocolate milk and lunch and then went home. Now they all told their moms they want to go ice fishing again. :roll: :lol:

Oh man is that funny, it always has the potential to go south really quick! But hey sounds like it wasn’t a negative experience and you got something to build on. Last night I took her out but didn’t bring the hot chocolate and brought two cupcakes. She ate the cupcakes instantly and then she realized that was the last of the rations. Wanted to go home. Luckily I hooked a fish shortly after that conversation started to deteriorate and she was content again. ( likes to try and make the fish eat the minnows after being caught$ ;)

Last week I took her on a 4 mile ride on rough ice to our fishing hole. My back was killing me. When we got back I apologized for taking her on that long cold ride and said we won’t do that again. I guess it wasn’t too bad cus she informed me she was asleep during the 4 wheeler ride :lol:

So currently my top 3 things are

Heater
Hot chocolate
MINNOW BUCKET- kid loves the darn minnows

It is going well and we are improving!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:15 am

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:Wow wilderness! You did better than I did. I took my oldest son and met up with my buddy and his two boys. We no more than set up the tent and got it warmed up to about 80 degrees inside and one boy started crying and saying he wanted to go home. Then the chain reaction started and they all said they wanted to go home. We had a huge clam tent with a cot in it and blankets and toys and snacks. Too many cranky kids in one space I guess :think:

Oh man is that funny, it always has the potential to go south really quick! But hey sounds like it wasn’t a negative experience and you got something to build on. Last night I took her out but didn’t bring the hot chocolate and brought two cupcakes. She ate the cupcakes instantly and then she realized that was the last of the rations. Wanted to go home. Luckily I hooked a fish shortly after that conversation started to deteriorate and she was content again. ( likes to try and make the fish eat the minnows after being caught$ ;)

Last week I took her on a 4 mile ride on rough ice to our fishing hole. My back was killing me. When we got back I apologized for taking her on that long cold ride and said we won’t do that again. I guess it wasn’t too bad cus she informed me she was asleep during the 4 wheeler ride :lol:

So currently my top 3 things are

Heater
Hot chocolate
MINNOW BUCKET- kid loves the darn minnows

It is going well and we are improving!

I'm taking notes!!!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:45 am

Thought I’d share a pic from last nights adventure with my 6yo. He skated hole to hole to open them up with the ladle. We were just hole hopping to fresh holes drilled by others earlier in the day. Just went mobile with backpack, a jogging rod and some lures.
14DD55AA-E8F0-4961-8CDC-C97326E12C4A.jpeg
1D6EF9C6-23C2-414D-A289-E5E5AA1F40C3.jpeg
1D6EF9C6-23C2-414D-A289-E5E5AA1F40C3.jpeg
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:25 am

sloughdog wrote:Thought I’d share a pic from last nights adventure with my 6yo. He skated hole to hole to open them up with the ladle. We were just hole hopping to fresh holes drilled by others earlier in the day. Just went mobile with backpack, a jogging rod and some lures.
14DD55AA-E8F0-4961-8CDC-C97326E12C4A.jpeg1D6EF9C6-23C2-414D-A289-E5E5AA1F40C3.jpeg 1D6EF9C6-23C2-414D-A289-E5E5AA1F40C3.jpeg

Good stuff! Pretty looking area too

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”