Fishing with small kids (what’s your approach)

• Advertisement

HB Store

Wetfoot
500 Club

Re: Fishing with small kids (what’s your approach)

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:12 am

dan wrote:I make sure its about the kid and having fun... My grandaughter asks if we can let the fish live... So we do. I target easy fish like bluegills, and shore fishing... Ice is nice, but if its cold and the experiance is bad, it may taint her for life against fishing.

My 2 girls are grown and gone. Dan has it right. Whatever you do with your kids, it needs to be about them having fun. They grow up awfully fast and only the memories will remain. My kids went through all the stages. We always focused on the things they enjoyed. A bonfire on the ice, cooking smores, hot chocolate, a picnic on the ice,, play with bait, skate, Barbie dolls... you get the picture. Just keep it about them having fun, can't go wrong.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:16 am

Oh I’m loving this thread! I laughed out loud at some of the comments. Feeding fish pretzels :lol: I can relate. My oldest always wants to put food out for the deer. “Maybe they’ll smell it and come to us.”

Here she is with a nice sunny she reeled in the weekend before last

I’ve got it easy in the ice castle. That thing is a game changer for having kids on the ice. We might play cards at the table, might watch Frozen! Who knows!

Both kids LOVE spending the night. Bunk beds are always a hit.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:18 am

Some of the slow days are a challenge, but when that rattle reel starts jingling EVERYONE jumps up.

I have video from last year of Elli catching a 19” smallmouth all by herself (hand lining). She was only 5.
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:29 am

That’s an awesome setup Lockdown! Not. Jealous. At. All. Lol we can’t do that in PA.
She sure looks like a happy camper.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:27 pm

Lockdown wrote:Some of the slow days are a challenge, but when that rattle reel starts jingling EVERYONE jumps up.

I have video from last year of Elli catching a 19” smallmouth all by herself (hand lining). She was only 5.

Dude! What a great way to spend time as a family. It really has me considering building a sleeper shack at some point. I’d buy one but need to buy the wife a new vehicle and put addition on house first :whistle:

Time to start skidding out a few cedar saw logs.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:25 pm

A few more pics from today. It was an awesome day amd the pictures tell the story…
9ADABF1C-7DE2-4C67-A0F9-78A0DABC4589.jpeg
7B922C0A-70D2-4ABB-A417-ED991DFD654F.jpeg
CB45CD08-EC23-4245-A167-E6A9F793697B.jpeg
35E475F1-4827-43ED-88D7-9F066F0696B6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”