Fishing with small kids (what’s your approach)

• Advertisement

HB Store

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Fishing with small kids (what’s your approach)

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:39 am

I have a daughter that just turned 4 last weekend. I haven’t fished much since she was born. We also have a little newborn baby at home. Mama likes it when I get the 4 yr old out of the house and give her somewhat of a break.

Yesterday my daughter and I were driving around and I was scoping out the ice fisherman and talking to her about going. Next thing I knew I was buying her a pole and letting her pick out some baits. She’s all about catching and eating. Maybe not so keen on the releasing.

I’m trying to be realistic here… kids attention span isn’t the longest and unfortunately for her, the old man is not very good at catching fish as it is. Hopefully I can get setup and fish 2 hours. That’s not long but we can build on it from there :lol:

To start out I think I’m going to look for super easy access. Short walk or drive the truck to the hole.

I know there’s a few dads that are doing this or have done it. What works? Hot chocolate? Junk food!? , a heater for sure…

My dad used to take me when I was her age. I just loved to fish. I didn’t get much special treatment though :lol: I knew better than to complain! And I was on pins and needles at all times trying to not get in the way.

don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
hunter_mike

Re: Fishing with small kids (what’s your approach)

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:05 pm

My son is a week younger than her. I didn't go ice fishing yet but for summer fishing I found it was very helpful to have a buddy along. Just having another adult there to occupy the kid while you untangle lines and tie knots is a game changer.

And of course snacks and comfort are key.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Bentstraight

Unread postby Bentstraight » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:02 pm

I cant give much advice for ice fishing, but fishing with my 3 year old in summer consists of dressing him in a swimsuit and putting on a life vest and floaties. Put the biggest shiniest bobber on. That will give him a solid 1/2 hour of casting and reeling till he gets bored and starts walking off the boat into the water. It helps to tie a rope to his life vest so I can pull him back to the boat without having to get wet :lol:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:12 pm

This is why I love my ice castle. Me and my 6 yr old play cards, or we can all play a board game. (Youngest is 4) Got a TV and DVD’s too which is on often enough. They help make food, or just play with toys up in their bunks. They both love it.

I do think keeping them occupied in a portable would be tough if the fish aren’t biting. I’m not saying don’t take them, just don’t expect a long stay. 2 hrs is realistic.

Sometimes they want to leave even if the fish are biting, so be prepared for that. Bring LOTS of snacks…
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:37 am

I was in your spot not long ago. We started out ice fishing by taking a few toys and snacks. As mentioned having another kid friend along is super helpful and more fun. When there is some snow cover on the ice, it also helps keep the kids occupied.
Samuel is 6 now and the last 2 years we usually take the flip over shanty with us. He loves to play in it.
The biggest problem I have is Samuel stepping in the holes and getting wet. Once that happens, it’s usually game over. That being said, some extra clothes is a must.
(In PA we can run 5 devices per person so we drill a lot of holes).
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:51 am

My daughter was 4 last year and I took her out late spring in the canoe for her first time fishing. She lost interest catching fish pretty quickly but there was lots of other stuff for her to discover and paddling around to check out different stuff kept her having fun for a few hours. I can't say as far as ice fishing goes, unless your catching fish one after another I would think a little kid would get bored and cold pretty quickly. You never know until you try though.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:58 am

It’s all about warmth, snacks and keeping them busy between bites and flags. My kids love to go, but on a slow bite, they get antsy. Hot cocoa, Mr. Buddy, and some sort of fun game can keep us out there for a bit. The younger one like to scoop out ice and get bait out of the bucket.
One day the wanted to play hide and seek on the ice…. Not many places to hide on a frozen lake, but it kept them entertained.
Ryan
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:05 am

One thing I did when my kids were that age is, setup a portable with a heater and comfy chairs. I drilled 2 holes in there that they could fish out of, and used baits that they could just mess with. Like a rattle trap or a spoon with a minnow tail.

Then outside I'd setup tip ups, usually 1 or 2 with a minnow for northerns and one with a waxie for sunfish.

I would also have a salad and the wheeler and just pull them around, then when they got cold we go in the shack to warm up.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:03 am

BRoth82 wrote:One thing I did when my kids were that age is, setup a portable with a heater and comfy chairs. I drilled 2 holes in there that they could fish out of, and used baits that they could just mess with. Like a rattle trap or a spoon with a minnow tail.

Then outside I'd setup tip ups, usually 1 or 2 with a minnow for northerns and one with a waxie for sunfish.

I would also have a salad and the wheeler and just pull them around, then when they got cold we go in the shack to warm up.

How do you get you kids to eat salad at dinner, much less on the ice?????
Ryan
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:14 am

Ryan549 wrote:
BRoth82 wrote:One thing I did when my kids were that age is, setup a portable with a heater and comfy chairs. I drilled 2 holes in there that they could fish out of, and used baits that they could just mess with. Like a rattle trap or a spoon with a minnow tail.

My bad fat fingers, I meant a sled. I have to worry more about me not wanting to eat a salad instead of my kids. :lol: :lol:
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:16 am

BRoth82 wrote:
Ryan549 wrote:

My bad fat fingers, I meant a sled. I have to worry more about me not wanting to eat a salad instead of my kids. :lol: :lol:

My kids would never go if I made them eat salad…. But the sled, yes, I’ve used that idea and they love it
Ryan
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:23 am

Ryan549 wrote:
BRoth82 wrote:
Ryan549 wrote:

My kids would never go if I made them eat salad…. But the sled, yes, I’ve used that idea and they love it

Tell them they have to eat the salad first, then you can pull them... Works everytime
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:45 am

When my daughter was that age I would take her fishing for brim and sunfish. Mainly stock ponds but we ventured to the lake a few times. Looking back I stressed over it to much. I wanted her to catch lots of fish which I thought would make her love it like I did. She was more interested in throwing rocks or playing with a fish she caught. She just enjoyed being in the outdoors so I don’t think it matters at all if you slay them or not.

Now she is 10 and enjoys the fishing aspect of things but she’s still known to chunk a few rocks. It’s fun no matter how you go about it. Keep it fun, keep it simple, and make some lasting memories.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:36 am

They had me fishing in diapers - just took to it.

Kids need to be constantly entertained - you go, fish for 5 minutes and end up looking under logs and rocks for critters, toss rocks, maybe catch a fish or two. Fun times.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:20 am

I make sure its about the kid and having fun... My grandaughter asks if we can let the fish live... So we do. I target easy fish like bluegills, and shore fishing... Ice is nice, but if its cold and the experiance is bad, it may taint her for life against fishing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”