Muley and Elk Knowledge - The Search Begins

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CEG017

Muley and Elk Knowledge - The Search Begins

Unread postby CEG017 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:54 pm

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if any of you would be willing to share some books, podcasts, people you follow, etc. for mule deer and elk tactics. 2024 will be my first year heading west and I am beyond excited. It will be a mule deer or elk hunt depending on the tags I draw.
I am completely new to this and just as I did with hunting deer I want to absorb as much as I can from others prior to heading out there.

I am the type of guy who likes these sources to be straight to the point and not a lot of filler (especially podcasts). I was actually thinking about purchasing the University of Elk Hunting so if any of you have done that I would really love your perspective on that. A course like that kind of scares me because I have learned the hard way with deer that literally everyone has heard of the same tactics on the internet.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Muley and Elk Knowledge - The Search Begins

Unread postby Rich M » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:29 am

By limiting your stuff to "the basics", you miss all the extra stuff that may or may not mean something to you. I'm deaf and don't do podcasts - preferring to read stuff.

Elk:

Google Elknut - he night be the one with the elk university.

Elk hunting is tough and lotsa folks do it. One thing they do that whitetails don't is "talk" and make noises.
Also - lots of elk hunters just sit. They go where history has told them elk will come thru, and just wait for the elk to come thru.

Elk never interested me.

Mule Deer:

You want Mtn, sage, rolling hills, flatland, timber hunt?

I've only been out west 3 times hunting (1x antelope DIY, 1x antelope guided, and 1x mule deer DIY) and seen decently large muleys each time. Got a nice one DIY in 2019, 1 & done w my bucket list muley hunting. 2 of the trips had big bucks near food sources, this year's trip had a biggun on a hillside browsing in sage. We hunted 5-6 days before we were on deer in 2019, up until then we were 2nd-3rd-10th guys to each spot...and we split up some too.

Found that finding where the deer wanna be and then sitting and waiting was the preferred for this deaf guy vs trying to spot & stalk em cause we couldn't find any in a position to stalk. They were here last night, they'll be here tonight and they were.

What would I do on a rut hunt?: go find a bunch of does and perch near them and wait/watch for the bucks to show up.

I've read the books by Eastman and David Long and Robby Denning and others over the last 45 years - not in preparation for a hunt but cause I enjoy reading those types of books. The book by Robby Denning is okay, it is similar to David Long's book which actually detracts from it cause Long's book is better written. Big takeaway - Robby kills a big buck about every 3 years and hunts all over the place.

Best advice i can give you is to be in place and glassing at first light. They'll move a couple hours each side of sunrise/sunset and are most visible the first and last hours. Keep moving around until you find them - I wouldn't spend more than a day looking where there were no deer. Season is short, trip is short - aggressive hunting is your friend.

Overall advice:

Pick up yer gun and start shooting. That's really the only thing you control out there - your shot. If you say your max is 400 yds, then you had better be able to hit every shot inside 400 yds. You may only have 1 brief opportunity.

In 2019 we hunted muleys - I was shooting every weekend. Buddy went shooting 3 times. I made my shot, he missed 2 diff bucks. If you are gonna put all the mental effort in, then travel and actually hunt, you owe it to yourself to be able to hit your target every time.

Good Luck!
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:30 am

As far as information goes, Elk 101 and ElkNut are great courses. Then later maybe the Elk 201 course after you get some knowledge. Information is great and that why we are all here. The best way to get the knowledge is to go and see it. I help multiple people a year come out west and hunt. I never give them any spots but it’s more about the logistics and conforming ideas. After the hunt is usually when I get the best questions. I’m no pro but do spend a lot of time in the mountains. So, make sure to check out Elk 101 and ElkNut. Good luck!
petroben
Facebook: Pakistan

Unread postby petroben » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:57 pm

CEG017 wrote:Hey Guys,

I was wondering if any of you would be willing to share some books, podcasts, people you follow, etc. for mule deer and elk tactics. 2024 will be my first year heading west and I am beyond excited. It will be a mule deer or elk hunt depending on the tags I draw.
I am completely new to this and just as I did with hunting deer I want to absorb as much as I can from others prior to heading out there.

I am the type of guy who likes these sources to be straight to the point and not a lot of filler (especially podcasts). I was actually thinking about purchasing the University of Elk Hunting so if any of you have done that I would really love your perspective on that. A course like that kind of scares me because I have learned the hard way with deer that literally everyone has heard of the same tactics on the internet.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

Hi there!

Exciting times ahead for your first western hunt! For mule deer and elk tactics, consider checking out Randy Newberg's "Elk Talk" podcast and the "Muley Monday" series by Muley Freak. The Backcountry Hunters & Anglers organization also offers valuable insights.

As for courses, the University of Elk Hunting is reputable, providing practical knowledge. It's a good investment if you're seeking structured guidance. Remember, combining online resources with local insights can offer a well-rounded approach. Best of luck on your upcoming adventure!
CEG017

Unread postby CEG017 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:04 am

Really good advice here guys. I appreciate it!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:37 pm

The Born and Raised Outdoors crew have some good info to glean through. Mainly elk. An old book to look for is: Elk Talk, by Don Laubach. Randy Newburg is a great source for all western hunting! Elk 101 is really good too!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:47 am

Check out the Live WIld podcast by Remi Warren. He goes through a pile of tactics for both Elk and Mule Deer. Every podcast is a lesson and not just a BS session.

I have been West 3 times for DIY elk in the last 4 years. 2020 Bow in CO, missed a cow, 2022 MZ in CO killed a cow, 2023 Bow in WY killed a bull.

My advise is get in shape, break in your boots, get used to a heavy pack and shooting with a pack on. I have found that rucking goes a long way. Get your heart rate up and shoot your bow/gun.

Learn to call but I use calls lightly. I have done my best getting into their bubble and cow calling sparingly. Whenever I have challanged a bull under 100 yards they pack up their cows and move.

Good Luck!
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:07 am

camelcluch wrote:As far as information goes, Elk 101 and ElkNut are great courses. Then later maybe the Elk 201 course after you get some knowledge. Information is great and that why we are all here. The best way to get the knowledge is to go and see it. I help multiple people a year come out west and hunt. I never give them any spots but it’s more about the logistics and conforming ideas. After the hunt is usually when I get the best questions. I’m no pro but do spend a lot of time in the mountains. So, make sure to check out Elk 101 and ElkNut. Good luck!

I was just weeding thru info on Wyoming as I now have 7 pts, I probably should have picked your brain!! Mind if I send you some questions thru PM?

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”