DIY Archery Elk Colorado

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Re: DIY Archery Elk Colorado

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:08 pm

krent12 wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:quote="PK_"]How was the pressure?
- We stayed for about 3 days at our first camp and then left because there were 3-4 other groups hunting the same mountain range. We had all pushed the majority of the elk in this area into the most rugged creek bottom ever and knew it would be packing an elk out from there. So as a group we decided to pack up and move about 30 miles to a new range none of us had been to before but looked elky. This new place had tough access but zero hunting pressure and we got into elk there. Unfortunately finding those elk took a couple days and we had to head home before we could seal the deal on one...

So you were able to get into several Elk?
- Yes, there were four of us so we would break off in pairs each day. My group had multiple encounters and the other group had even more.

Was this your first trip out there?
- Yes, first elk trip, and first time hunting out west

Did you return to the truck each night or backpack in?
- We set up a basecamp at the truck and took 2 atvs way back into the mountain range each day. From there we would walk anywhere from 1-8 miles in each morning/ evening hunt. We were completely mobile and would hunt new areas each morning/ evening - It helped a ton to have another group. We took 7000 acre piece and were able to eliminate a ton of unproductive ground in the first couple days. We talked about spike camping, but it limits the mileage you can cover each day because you are carrying a bunch of weight and also we liked the idea of being able to be at the truck and move camp quickly if needed. Also, honestly it was nice to have real food back at our basecamp each night.

I can’t watch anymore elk videos it just depressses me that I can’t get out there to chase those majestic critters.
- You just have to go man - do it while you can! I was surprised at the ease of prepping for this trip (i'd be happy to share my gear list if anyone is interested) and honestly I could have eased back on some purchases I thought I had to make.

Ps. Looks like a nice Muley in that meadow?
- Which picture? If it is i had no idea it was there lol

Would you go back to colorado? I have decided i am going to go. Not many of the people i know elk hunt tho so i feel like i need to just get as much info from people who just went for there first time as possible!!! I really dont want to pay 5k for a guide but idk... i would prolly learn a lot. what are your thoughts?[/quote]

Yes we will most likely go back to CO next fall. We are throwing around the idea of applying for Montana or Wyoming and heading to Colorado if we don't get drawn. New Mexico is also another great state to check out. There is just so much land in Colorado and with OTC tags in so many units its hard not to want to head back there again - especially since we did get into elk.

Honestly, after going this past fall I would NOT pay for a guide. Practice calling all summer, read up on elk behavior and patterns in early september and you will do just fine. If you can read sign in the whitetail woods and know how to play the wind/ thermals you will do great. All it takes is a willingness to hike miles each day to find the fresh sign and just try to catch up with them. There is a bit of luck involved as well in my opinion. If the elk arent talking it can make for long days of hiking and searching, but once they start cracking off bugles it makes the entire trip worth it. With four of us splitting into pairs each day one thing that was key for us was to stay mobile and eliminate ground fast. After a couple of days you can really eliminate a ton of unproductive ground.

If you have any specific questions let me know and I can try to answer them. I am by no means an expert, but one of the guys I went with was a rifle elk guide back in the day so I feel like I took an upper level Elk Hunting class in the week I went out there with him.

clearwateralaska
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/clearwateralas ... s/?fref=ts

Unread postby clearwateralaska » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:58 pm

This place look's amazing for hunting.
tbowers

Unread postby tbowers » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:30 am

Pretty sweet. I just put in for first rifle season in SW CO, hopefully i get drawn- about 80% chance to draw with no points looking at past years. I would love to chase them with a bow but I'm going to try rifle this first time out as I'm sure i'll need all the help i can get! Do you have your gear list? First thing i need to get is a pair of boots, I have multiple pairs of Lacross Burley's but those certainly arent going to cut it out West.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:11 am

Here's my gear listing:

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:17 am

tbowers wrote:Pretty sweet. I just put in for first rifle season in SW CO, hopefully i get drawn- about 80% chance to draw with no points looking at past years. I would love to chase them with a bow but I'm going to try rifle this first time out as I'm sure i'll need all the help i can get! Do you have your gear list? First thing i need to get is a pair of boots, I have multiple pairs of Lacross Burley's but those certainly arent going to cut it out West.

Don't skimp on boots, bring moleskin for blisters, and wear good socks to avoid getting hot spots.

I bought a pair of Danner uninsulated boots and they are very comfortable. The pair I had in CO actually turned out to NOT be waterproof which was disappointing. Danner replaced them for me free of charge and the second pair has been great.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:27 pm

MN_DeerHunter wrote:
tbowers wrote:Pretty sweet. I just put in for first rifle season in SW CO, hopefully i get drawn- about 80% chance to draw with no points looking at past years. I would love to chase them with a bow but I'm going to try rifle this first time out as I'm sure i'll need all the help i can get! Do you have your gear list? First thing i need to get is a pair of boots, I have multiple pairs of Lacross Burley's but those certainly arent going to cut it out West.

Don't skimp on boots, bring moleskin for blisters, and wear good socks to avoid getting hot spots.

I bought a pair of Danner uninsulated boots and they are very comfortable. The pair I had in CO actually turned out to NOT be waterproof which was disappointing. Danner replaced them for me free of charge and the second pair has been great.

A few other great boots are Crispi and Kennetrek, both waterproof and in my experience hold up much better than other boots I've used.
tbowers

Unread postby tbowers » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:02 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:

Which Danner boots did you go with? I have about $200 max to spend on boots- I've tried on Danner High Ground, Vital and Pronghorns and the Vitals felt the best. Also heard good things on Asolo boots- Sierra trading post has a bunch of diff pairs in the $125 range but those typically run $200-220
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:36 am

tbowers wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:

Which Danner boots did you go with? I have about $200 max to spend on boots- I've tried on Danner High Ground, Vital and Pronghorns and the Vitals felt the best. Also heard good things on Asolo boots- Sierra trading post has a bunch of diff pairs in the $125 range but those typically run $200-220

Danner Vitals. They are $153 on Amazon
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:51 am

If you have to pack out an elk you will find that a tennis shoe boot like a danner is a BIG mistake. You will want a stiffer boot like a Kenetrek. Your feet and calves will thank you. I know of people that set a budget of $150 on boots and it ruined their trip. They ended up getting a high end pair for their next trip. Dont skimp on boots or packs.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:21 am

wisco is right, you don't want to skimp on boots if you don't have to. I chose to buy those Danners because they fit my budget. Those boots along with quality poly-pro liner socks and a merino wool sock over that worked great for me. We put on a lot of miles including a 12+ mile day and I didn't have any hot spots or blisters I can remember. I also put about 30 miles on them before the trip so they were really broken in, even though they sell them "pre broken in". Another guy on our trip had a pair of Danner Pronghorns he really liked.

Lastly, being in good shape is the best thing for your overall quality of trip. Doesn't matter what brand boots you have if you are tired and sore from not properly preparing for all the walking.
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:40 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:wisco is right, you don't want to skimp on boots if you don't have to. I chose to buy those Danners because they fit my budget. Those boots along with quality poly-pro liner socks and a merino wool sock over that worked great for me. We put on a lot of miles including a 12+ mile day and I didn't have any hot spots or blisters I can remember. I also put about 30 miles on them before the trip so they were really broken in, even though they sell them "pre broken in". Another guy on our trip had a pair of Danner Pronghorns he really liked.

Lastly, being in good shape is the best thing for your overall quality of trip. Doesn't matter what brand boots you have if you are tired and sore from not properly preparing for all the walking.

Buy what you can afford. Danners will be fine until you have 80lbs of meat on your back. That is when the boot will fail you. Going up hill with that kind of weight w/o a stiffer boot wreaks havoc on your calves and feet. Ive seen it time and time again and experienced it once myself. I 2nd being in shape and breaking in your boots. Also there are special lacing techniques to avoid blisters. Youtube search can pull up a bunch of videos.
tbowers

Unread postby tbowers » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:08 am

I run about 20-25 miles per week for the past seven years so I'm not to worried about the out of shape part, although I get that hiking up and down mountains is a little different then running on pavement in WI. I for sure dont have the budget to spend over 200 on boots- this likely will be a once in a lifetime trip for me so it doesnt make any sense to drop $4-500 on a pair of Kennetreks or Schnees - I need a boot that i wont be completely miserable in and will also be able to use back home in the midwest chasing whitetails.

As info, The guy I'm going with has been out there seven times and he wears heavy Red Wing steel toed boots- a far cry from what you would take in the mountains typically. He looked at me like i was crazy when i said folks spend upwards of $500 on a good mountain boot!
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:57 am

tbowers wrote:I run about 20-25 miles per week for the past seven years so I'm not to worried about the out of shape part, although I get that hiking up and down mountains is a little different then running on pavement in WI. I for sure dont have the budget to spend over 200 on boots- this likely will be a once in a lifetime trip for me so it doesnt make any sense to drop $4-500 on a pair of Kennetreks or Schnees - I need a boot that i wont be completely miserable in and will also be able to use back home in the midwest chasing whitetails.

As info, The guy I'm going with has been out there seven times and he wears heavy Red Wing steel toed boots- a far cry from what you would take in the mountains typically. He looked at me like i was crazy when i said folks spend upwards of $500 on a good mountain boot!

A youngster that came along with us on our elk trip wore something similar and seemed to do fine. However, he forgot his backpack and sleeping bag so he had other issues to be worried about lol
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:56 am

wiscbowhntr wrote:If you have to pack out an elk you will find that a tennis shoe boot like a danner is a BIG mistake. You will want a stiffer boot like a Kenetrek. Your feet and calves will thank you. I know of people that set a budget of $150 on boots and it ruined their trip. They ended up getting a high end pair for their next trip. Dont skimp on boots or packs.

X 2 for Kenetrek.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:52 am

MN Deerhunter - Great read - made we wish I were back out there again. Got about 5 months to go although I'm heading out there to scout and move cameras around in about a month.

tbowers - Here are my thoughts for you... Again I think you will be alright knowing you run about 20 -25 miles a week. Maybe try doing a stepper or some hills with a bit of weight to simulate, but honestly I think you will be just fine physically.

As for the boots, I personally bought some like $60 timberland hiking boots and wore them out there. I wore the boots a lot and walked in them a good bit before I headed out there - had them for about 6 months prior to making the trip.

Went up and down a couple thousand feet in elevation every day and packed a bull out without any issues. However, it was hot and dry so never really had to deal with the moisture thing, just my own sweat.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”