DIY Colorado elk archery hunt equipment?

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbunao
500 Club

Re: DIY Colorado elk archery hunt equipment?

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:20 am

NYBackcountry wrote:
vtbuck wrote:I’m looking at the Northface Stormfront 2 for a tent. Good reviews and at $159 it’s hard to beat

I've used it for years in the ADKs, good tent. Perfect for 1 guy and gear inside. Two people is fine but gear has to go in the vestibules.

I used it in Colorado and in Montana. Upgrade to msr groundhog stakes and seam seal it. Good to go.

vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:52 pm

NYBackcountry wrote:
vtbuck wrote:I’m looking at the Northface Stormfront 2 for a tent. Good reviews and at $159 it’s hard to beat

I've used it for years in the ADKs, good tent. Perfect for 1 guy and gear inside. Two people is fine but gear has to go in the vestibules.

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate it
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:07 am

I'm going through this same process now, and am pretty much sold on the Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT. You can find them for $100 or less and at 2 pounds it's right where you'd want a backpacking shelter to be. But you will need trekking poles - or cut sticks - to pitch it. I'm going to be carrying poles anyway for the pack out, so it makes sense for me.
SixLomaz

Unread postby SixLomaz » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:29 am

As far as tent concerns I had an excellent experience in 2018 with Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person 3 Season Tent (Citron Green). You can trim some accessories and the weight will drop around 4 lbs for a very comfortable tent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SixLomaz

Unread postby SixLomaz » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:46 am

Get 2 Anyoo Waterproof Rain Poncho Lightweight Reusable Hiking Hooded Coat Jacket for Outdoor Activities for tent footprint and rain gear / equipment cover. Get Irish Setter Men's 880 Elk Tracker Waterproof 200 Gram 12" Big Game Hunting Boot,Brown and break them in months before the trip. I logged close to 100 miles in 3 weeks on foot in 2018 - CO DIY elk hunt. Drink Water - use for camp a Platypus GravityWorks Filter System, 4-Liter plus an extra Platypus Gravity Works Carbon Element and a bottle of PURINIZE - The Best and Only Patented Natural Water Purifying Solution - Chemical Free Camping and Survival Water Purification (2 oz) . When out hunting use a backpack style bladder with a SteriPEN Adventurer Opti Personal,Handheld UV Water Purifier. Meat care require a set of Caribou Gear The Wapiti Meat on the Bone Ultra Light Game Bags soaked in heavy concentration of water+edible citric acid. When dry they will hold meat and repel insects. Do it a day before leaving. Trekking poles (Mountainsmith Carbonlite Pro Trekking Poles, Slate ) are a must if you hunt steep terrain and transport meat over long distances - 0.5 mile +. Eat Alpine Aire dry food and some healthy bars plus tea/instant cofee, add nuts. All portioned for a daily meal - 7 days = 7 plastic bags. Use Etekcity Ultralight Portable Outdoor Backpacking Camping Stove or Etekcity E-gear Portable Collapsible Windproof Backpacking Gas Camping Stove with a Bounabay Foldable Outdoor Camping Hiking Cooking Gas Tank Stove Stand Cartridge Canister Tripod for the Jetboil Jetpower Fuel, 100 Grams (I used 2 canisters in 3 weeks). I used a Stanley Adventure Camp Cook Set 24oz Stainless Steel, a GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Bottle Cup, Large, and a spork to cook and eat. Please get OnX for CO and learn how to use it with your phone on airplane mode (download the maps to your phone beforehand). Get 1-2 bags of Ova Easy Egg Crystals, 4.5 oz/Bag. Try to get merino socks (no shortcuts here) and underwear or at least quality synthetic underwear. Happy feet and groin will keep you hunting. Use 4 blades SlickTrick broadheads as they work. A ALPS OutdoorZ Commander + Pack Bag will suffice and be there for you at a very reasonable price. Get a combination of KIND bars for daily snacks (KIND Pressed by Bars - Mango Apple Chia + Cherry Apple Chia + KIND Bars, Blueberry Pecan, Gluten Free, Low Sugar + KIND Bars, Nuts and Spices Variety Pack, Gluten Free, Low Sugar + KIND Bars, Almond & Apricot, Gluten Free). A roll of BSN Medical BEI076168 Leukotape P Sports Tape, 1 1/2 Inch x 15 Yard will save the day. Get Samson Zing-it Rope 2.2mm X 180ft. Average Strength 580 Lbs and Samson Lash-it Accessory Cord 2.2mm X 180ft. The best sleeping pad I used was Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe Sleeping Pad combined with a Klymit Luxe Pillow - Lightweight Luxurious Inflatable Travel Pillow. Northbound Train First Aid Kit, Fully Stocked - IFAK - Premium Contents for Tactical First Aid, Camping, Travel, and Hiking is a must to have.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. 1 week is not enough time to hunt elk 1st time without a guide. 2-3 weeks will definitely bring the meat home if you go without a guide. I would plan for the first 3 weeks in September. Do not worry about weather. Get a good sleeping bag, hat and socks as it goes down to 32F at night while at midday is 70F.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:13 pm

Any recommendations on what to download for maps on my Garmin Oregon 600 got Colorado?
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:51 am

For those of you who backpacked in to a spot for 3-4 days, what did your pack weigh with everything including your bow on it?

My goal is to be under 50 lbs.
Right now I’m just under 30 lbs but that’s without water in my 3L camelbak, food, jetboil, and a few small odds and ends.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:44 pm

I get 35 to 40 due to some comfort items. I think I could get to 30 with some careful packing and upgrades.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:37 pm

I’m pretty sure I’m set clothing wise. I purchased a North Face vest last night off Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/North-Face-Mens- ... B0161SCYQC
I bought Sitka outers and this vest will be a layer for cool mornings and evenings
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:50 pm

Anyone have a recommendation on quiver size and type. I’d like to pack 6 arrows.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:21 am

Tight Spot 7 or 5. If you use the 5 you can pack it a few extra arrows in a tube.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:39 am

A little advice to those looking at hunts out west:

BUY GOOD BOOTS!

Dont look at the price tag.
Think about your feet, back, knees, etc...
If you’re in constant pain cause you bought crap that was cheap that’s on you.
Wear good boots and break them in before you go out west.

Do research. Read hiking boot reviews. Ask other people on the beast what they suggest.

The terrain out west will kick your but. Do your feet a favor.

Crispi
Kenetrek
LaSportiva
Salomon
Lowa

All these companies make good boots for hiking and hunting. Just some suggestions.

Rant over
Dirt track
Facebook: Blackburnjames44@yahoo.com

Unread postby Dirt track » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:06 am

vtbuck wrote:So, I’m starting to put together a list of needs for my September 2020 diy archery elk hunt in Colorado. Any input would be greatly appreciated from fellow Beasts who done this.

The most important thing is how to find elk!

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”