DIY Colorado elk archery hunt equipment?

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

camelcluch
500 Club

Re: DIY Colorado elk archery hunt equipment?

Unread postby camelcluch » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:48 pm

I agree to a point but nothing ruins a hunt faster than wet and cold. You don’t need too much high end gear but it has to be the correct gear. You can hunt elk in almost every west unit in Colorado and get into elk without ever doing any research. However, things like blisters, bad sleep systems and poor clothing choices will take you right out of the hunt. But knowing the area does help.

vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:07 am

K guys, another ?
I’m planning to tent. My buddy said something about hammocking it with a tarp over the top. When I last backpacked in the mountains it rained 2 full days. Not a sprinkle, we’re talking cold nasty driving rain.
I’m planning on picking up a 2-3 man tent that’s definitely waterproof. An Alaskan or something along those lines.
Got any recommendations and is hammocking an option in your opinion?
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:26 am

vtbuck wrote:K guys, another ?
I’m planning to tent. My buddy said something about hammocking it with a tarp over the top. When I last backpacked in the mountains it rained 2 full days. Not a sprinkle, we’re talking cold nasty driving rain.
I’m planning on picking up a 2-3 man tent that’s definitely waterproof. An Alaskan or something along those lines.
Got any recommendations and is hammocking an option in your opinion?

Hammocks are great till you find yourself without trees nearby to hang them in. You also have to remember you will lose heat by convection underneath you so an under quilt is often necessary unless the weather is warm. By the t im me you add that, the rain fly, a top quilt or sleeping bh and the hammock, you have just as much or more weight and pack space taken up as lightweight tent options. UL tents are lighter and pack down a little smaller. The decision comes more down to comfort and which one you are more comfortable in, assuming you're in an area with lots of trees.

If you are on a budget, the marmot limelight 2p is a nice true 2 man tent for about $150. Only drawback us it weighs just over 5lbs, but if you are with a buddy, you can split it up between each other and it's not bad. Three guys, go up to the 3p and split 3 ways.

If you wanna go up to a higher 2p price point, check out the nemo dagger. I've seen it for $300 a few times when nemo is running a 25% off sale, awesome tent.

I have the limelight, but just picked up a seek outside cimarron with medium wood stove and carbon center pole. Even with the stove, the whole setup is about 6lbs. Pricey, though. Seek outside has some smaller units that arent so much. Their little bug out shelter is pretty slick, too.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:49 pm

Hammocks can get cold even in September. I’m a stomach/ side sleeper so hammock are out any way. For tents, look at the MSR Hubba Hubba Nx and the Big Avenue Copper Spur. Both are proven in the mountains. Floor less is an option too. Tipis and tarps are a very nice light weight system. Seek Outside, Kifaru, Titanium Goat, VIam Outdoors, Tarptent and Jimmy Tarps all make good shelters.
The Runt

Unread postby The Runt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:27 am

If you want to shoot me your e-mail in a pm I would be happy to send you my gear list. There are a ton of options available.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:48 pm

It rained almost every day on my trip to CO last year. I used the Cabela’s space rain jacket and pants and it worked beautifully
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:03 pm

Hunttalk.com also has plenty of good topics for the backpacking hunter.

Good call whoever mentioned the quick clot. A useful first aid kit is good to have just in case, and that’s an easy thing to overlook.
Wylee

Unread postby Wylee » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:05 am

Quality topo map. Waterproof kind. Compass. Quality tarp. Sleeping pad. High ankle boots and merino socks. Water filter. Sunscreen.
Acer18
Facebook: Asa Bays

Unread postby Acer18 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:25 pm

I would find the contact info for the dnr working your unit. Get to know him and the regs in advance, those guys normally have a decent idea of where the herds are at given times. Could save you a lot of walking. What unit you going to? Me and my dad are headed back for round 2 in 2020 and well- unit 49 I believe.
Acer18
Facebook: Asa Bays

Unread postby Acer18 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:28 pm

Good boots and pack with a h2o bladder are a must. I used my light cableas version of a camelpack for 90% of our trip. 1st aid, knife, fire, snacks and water, GPS, compass in it. Left the big stuff at camp.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:45 pm

Just a quick note since i didn't see them mentioned here, and something i would consider an absolute necessity.

Trekking poles - and use them all the time. Adjust them accordingly. Uphill, downhill, sidehill. You put the same person up against the sane version of themselves except only one version has the poles, the poles will smoke the other every time. It will save you time, it will save your body, and it may just help you chase down that big bull you are tailing. I'm going out there scouting and to put cameras in a few weeks, I'll have them with me then too no doubt.
arrowman2317

Unread postby arrowman2317 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:31 am

I have been backpack hunting Colorado for elk for the last 17 years, headed out again this year. Usually myself and a least 1 if not 2 buddies go. We pack in about 5 miles, usually park on a road at about 8800ft. Climb up to camp around 10k. Elk usually around 10.2k where we go. No air your lungs will burn for couple days, get in shape.
My pack in weight is somewhere between 50-60lbs.
Go to ultra-light backpacker web sites and study all.
Buy a good digital scale and weigh everything. The difference in clothing weights is huge. Everything you carry will cost you in effort.
I carry everything in on a freighter frame with fully adjustable harness/belts. Need to study these closely, mine weighs 6lbs and a water proof nylon stuff sack everything rides in weighs 10oz. Your personal frame pack is a make or break for carrying out 80-100lbs of elk meat. For my day pack I use a 3200 GOLite brand, weighs 1 1/2lbs. I only carry days food, water, synthetic sweater, rain wear,and knife in day pack. Everything else I carry on a 3 inch wide nylon belt on my waist.
Buy a good water filter system, I like platypus. Dehydrated foods are the only way to fly in my opinion, my days food packed individually in 2 gallon zip for a day weighs in at about a pound. Oatmeal, couple coffee bags,day food of cliff bars, gorp, 4 or so small tootsie rolls, dehydrated meal for dinner.At the campsite MSR rocket stove, titanium 1.5 liter pot with lid, and 1 gas canister.
Buy an ultralight water tight 2 man tent for yourself. I have Big Agnes seedhouse sl2, had several others over the years. Get a thermarest inflatable air mattress.Weighs less than 1lb. Synthetic 20 degree mountain sleeping bag 3lbs
The rains can be relentless for days on the mountain, with snow mixing in at times, can be several inches ultra light rain wear is a must. I usually use the space rain from cabelas.
The only glass I carry for the dark timber we hunt is a leopold rx 1200 tbr, rangefinder. 17 years ago I found bino's in dark timber are unneeded. Obviously if you are hunting more open terrain you might want to carry them.
Be sure to buy a great headlamp, I like black diamond.
Good luck with your hunt.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:02 pm

moondoondude wrote:Just a quick note since i didn't see them mentioned here, and something i would consider an absolute necessity.

Trekking poles - and use them all the time. Adjust them accordingly. Uphill, downhill, sidehill. You put the same person up against the sane version of themselves except only one version has the poles, the poles will smoke the other every time. It will save you time, it will save your body, and it may just help you chase down that big bull you are tailing. I'm going out there scouting and to put cameras in a few weeks, I'll have them with me then too no doubt.

If you don't have a Costco around, Academy Sports has the aluminum version of those Cascade Mountain trekking poles that camelcluch mentioned for $20.
MedicineMan15

Unread postby MedicineMan15 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:00 pm

I did a video a while back on a cheap but effective backcountry cook kit I put together. The video is kind of long, and just shot from my phone, but there's links to the stuff I used out west in the description.

https://youtu.be/sAWcazVbBtM

I second the Rokslide.com recommendations, and also, just sign up for the Elk 101 course. It's $100, I think you can get it for $80 with coupon code "Randy", but im not sure.
MedicineMan15

Unread postby MedicineMan15 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:19 pm

Also, forums classifieds is the way to go to get quality gear at an affordable price. I was leaning towards buying a "so-so" quality pack, but found a mystery ranch Metcalf used on Rokslide classifieds for less than the so-so pack.

I also bought my tent used on Rokslide classifieds for a deal.

Other good classifieds resources include:
Hunt Talk Forum (run by Randy Newberg, great all around western big game hunting forum)

Elk 101 forum (which you can join after you sign up for the UEH course)

Facebook marketplace

First lite buy, sell, trade group on Facebook (sitka and kuiu have pages too). This is helpful because these guys and girls can help you with sizing and share experiences with gear before you buy.

Don't skimp on BOOTS! They'll be the most important piece of gear. You don't need to spend an arm and a leg, but get a good pair and break them in carrying a weighted pack on side hills etc. I ended up with cabelas meindl ultralight uninsulated boots and love them. Danners are another "budget" option. Same with Irish setter.

Merino Wool base layers are another thing I'd call "essential". I always wore cheap fleet farm long underwear hunting in Wisconsin. But I bought merino wool base layers before my trip, my life will never be the same. You don't need to buy the best hunting brands either. I have first lite that I bought used on Facebook, but I also have Black Ovis merino and it's really good as well. Most any merino will be good (hiking and backpacking brands pioneered this stuff and are cheaper than the camo brands.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”