Elk hunting in November

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
JakeB
500 Club

Re: Elk hunting in November

Unread postby JakeB » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:54 am

I did a late November archery hunt in Arizona this year. It was an easy to draw tag.

It was a good time, but I won’t be doing the same hunt again.

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:20 am

Where would you like to hunt during that time frame. It's a dream hunt so you should try and match it up with somewhere you would like to go. Remember travel time to the equation.

I'm not 100% on it but I believe CO. is doing away with the OTC and will go to a draw system this year. It may not be for another few years but something you should check out.

Stash hit a lot of points.

I can not completely agree with Lou on don't listen to YT guys. Elk101 put me in the right locations and helped ask the right questions. What I do agree with Lou is the locals and by that I mean CALL the biologist and officers that run the particular areas of your interest. Don't have generic questions like. I feel the more thought out questions that lead into the next help getting the good info out of them. Every spot I hunted that one of them spoke of held elk. They know the herds and their routines.

E-scouting: Mark Livesay has a few podcast with The Rich Outdoors. Mark also has YT videos. Mark is the single most technical e-scout guru I've ever seen or heard. He comes from a whitetail background in Missouri.
Between his e-scouting and calling biologist, nearly every area and time I went out this year I was in or near elk. Even with a bow in hand during gun season I had one at 50 ( didn't have a bull tag for that unit and was looking for a cow) and 2 at 80 in a unit I could shoot them on the last day. I do live in MT.

There are a lot of beneficial sites and forums out there but personally I tried all and eventually limited myself to pretty much Elk101. Newberg is the late season king so I would add his knowledge to the mix.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:17 am

Colorado is staying OTC at least for this year. We are starting a new five year plan and the big change is a static opening date for archery (9/2). You can hunt with any lesser weapon if you wish so if you want to hunt archery in November, have at it. Thanksgiving is fourth season and tags are tricky but you can get them if you’re not overly picky. There are a lot of options for you once a few things are figured out. GoHunt is a good place to start and I’d look for a code to help the price. Gear should not be over thought and many times people already have what they need and can get deals on the stuff they don’t. After gear, you should be able to hunt Colorado for $1500 or less and that includes tag and travel. You have plenty of time to plan your new yearly hunt trip. No one hunts elk once. Heck, I moved just to Colorado just to be able to see elk.
9478AC39-4FCE-4539-9D04-FADEFEA87239.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:52 am

I think Lou makes some valid points. Elk don't watch or read the script that hunters layout to be successful. Always or never doesn't apply. There are exceptions. For instance in general elk bed high during the day and feed low at night. But in some places at certain times of the year the best feed may actually be way up high. So if the best security cover is at mid mountain. They'll move up to feed at night. So yes local knowledge can help alot. And sometimes it just depends on what side of the mountain they are currently using.

I have to admit I sucked at hunting/finding late/gun season elk. Especially legal bulls. But I didn't spend no where near the amount of time on late season hunts as the early bugling/bow seasons. I did more deer hunting during gun season/November. My biggest problem was sticking to 1 general area for the most of my hunts. Being willing to explore different areas may get one into more elk. Even if that means driving an hour or 2 to get to a new area.

But Tim is correct for learning the basics through e-scouting. The folks mentioned above will provide a great starting place. And I think apps like GoHunt will help you chose which state, and unit/s in that state. Once that's done study maps and aerials and become as familiar as possible with a few different areas in a unit. Then call and see if the biologists/wardens can provide more insight on those spots. Often they'll be more willing to share info if you show you have some familiarity with an area. Rather than appearing to be just fishing for someones hotspot.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:03 pm

Thank you guys for the replies. I've tried to keep this vague as I've dreamt of going, but never looked into it beyond that. I also tried not to write a paragraph. But here goes.

I'm a teacher and a small business owner. The issue is everyone likes to poke fun that teachers have summers off, but that also means I don't get vacation time when i want it. Which leaves me with only once possible week while seasons are open, the week of Thanksgiving. I also live in ny so drive time will be in the 20+hour range one way. With 2 of us we should be able to drive straight through.

With that said my tentative plan is to leave on a Friday and arrive on a Saturday night. Sunday I would assume to be a relax/ camp / glass day. Leaving me Monday through Friday evening to hunt. I originally wanted to go to Wyoming in September, but I'd rather not wait another 18 years until retirement to go. Life happens to fast to wait. I'm not interested in a guide because that takes the fun of the hunt out of the equation. We'll be camping of some sort, whether it's base camp or in the field I don't know yet.

I'm not afraid of spending money, but I also don't want to waste it either. I get Leary of listening to sponsored people when it comes to gear. I would rather hear it from you guys that have done it.

I have millions of questions and a lot of research to do. So any and all info welcome. Gear suggestions, boot and pack suggestions.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:40 pm

treeroot wrote:Thank you guys for the replies. I've tried to keep this vague as I've dreamt of going, but never looked into it beyond that. I also tried not to write a paragraph. But here goes.

I'm a teacher and a small business owner. The issue is everyone likes to poke fun that teachers have summers off, but that also means I don't get vacation time when i want it. Which leaves me with only once possible week while seasons are open, the week of Thanksgiving. I also live in ny so drive time will be in the 20+hour range one way. With 2 of us we should be able to drive straight through.

With that said my tentative plan is to leave on a Friday and arrive on a Saturday night. Sunday I would assume to be a relax/ camp / glass day. Leaving me Monday through Friday evening to hunt. I originally wanted to go to Wyoming in September, but I'd rather not wait another 18 years until retirement to go. Life happens to fast to wait. I'm not interested in a guide because that takes the fun of the hunt out of the equation. We'll be camping of some sort, whether it's base camp or in the field I don't know yet.

I'm not afraid of spending money, but I also don't want to waste it either. I get Leary of listening to sponsored people when it comes to gear. I would rather hear it from you guys that have done it.

I have millions of questions and a lot of research to do. So any and all info welcome. Gear suggestions, boot and pack suggestions.

My first elk hunt another beast member and myself went to CO from NY. We hammered out that drive. Tired but pumped to be in the mountains we went right to work .

Allow time for weather that time frame. Look what happened this year and like what seem like every year. Holiday travel brings big storms.

It's all do able. Chase that dream and make it happen. With all your research dont over look elk behavior and tendencies. I feel a lot of people fail because they are soo worried about gear and broadhead, etc. That they forget this is an entirely new animal of it's own kind.

Like someone mentioned before, no one goes elk hunting once.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:56 am

Most of the "pros" mentioned above do have their favorite gear that they are sponsored by and kinda push. But they are pretty honest about sharing the pros and cons of it. Rokslide does alot of reviews on gear. Admittedly because I am physically unable to go elk hunting at this time. I haven't looked at any of these reviews and am not sure if they only review handpicked, sponsored items, or a variety.

But looking at everyone's gears lists and reading reviews. Can inform you on what type of things are actually available. The last 10-15 years has produced some vastly different types and styles of gear. Than what was available when I was still out west. Backpack hunting out west is kinda like mobile bed hunting back east. Alot more people are doing it and have worked on making things easier/better. So if you find some gear that interests you you can ask Beasts about it. Or even get on the forums that a few of the "pros" have. Not as homey of a feeling as here on the Beast, but the few times I've checked them out. Things were pretty cival and good info was shared. Especially on gear.

One thing to consider that is very important. Make sure you use a bullet that is designed for larger game the size of elk. "Deer" loads are way too light. These softer bullets expand way too fast and you'll end up only getting into 1 lung. I preferred Nosler partition bullets, that my buddy helped me handload. But there are plenty of other good bullets/shells for elk out there.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:29 am

Two random thoughts

Elevation should be respected. Your condition and abilities will diminish at 10k or better. Some recommend a day for acclimation and also drink lots of water in advance.

Kentucky has a large herd and does non res tags. I do not know more than that but it's such a close region to you it should be researched.
Good luck and keep chasing dreams!
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:52 am

I'll definitely check out any states recommended.

As far as if rifle hunting I'll be going with my 300 win mag and do some research for the proper bullet.

What do you guys use for boots? In field water sources for late season?
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:51 pm

Boots are personal and change from person to person. I really like kennetrek but others hate them. I need the extra ankle support from the boots. The most important thing for boots is to make sure they fit and broken in. If blisters are a worry you can tape prior with Leuko Tape and probably be good for a week.
300 is a good choice and there are plenty of bullets to choose from. Hard to beat the Nosler partitions but shoot what you have confidence in. Stay north of 180 grains and you should be good to go.
Water in November most likely will be snow. Other than that you should be able to find water from creeks, streams ponds or retention guzzlers. Make sure your stove can boil snow (jet boil will not) and carry a filter of some kind. Sawyer squeeze or an msr work will. Steri Pens are good and I also use a coffee filter to keep the chunks out of the bottle. I always have aquamir drops just in case. They are cheap and easy.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:35 pm

Main thing for me with boots is plenty of traction for climbing steep grades covered in snow. Nothing tires a person out quicker than slipping every step. I really liked the Airbob soles but, not sure if you can find them anywhere anymore.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:28 pm

For states; Idaho and Oregon have OTC. Utah and Wyoming having tags that should be obtainable. You may have great benefits from GoHunt. You will be able to break down the license process. Another choice is Colorado first rifle. It’s only 5 days long (Saturday to Wednesday) and is October. You could use a few personal days and fly out. Rent camp gear if need and hunt like a boss.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:19 pm

If the jet boil won't do snow what do you recommend?

As far as gohunt goes I've been looking into it. From what I gather for a newbie like me it seems like it will help moving forward with picking a state.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:50 pm

treeroot wrote:If the jet boil won't do snow what do you recommend?

As far as gohunt goes I've been looking into it. From what I gather for a newbie like me it seems like it will help moving forward with picking a state.

I have it and it's probaly the quickest and easiest way to learn diferent states draws and stats. It's all information you can find for free on the states fish and wildlife sites, but they aren't the easiest to navigate. If you are completly new and seriously wanting to get into hunting out west it's pretty much a must have. It is expensive, but by the time you actually get out there it will be a drop in the bucket..

Within a minute or 2 I can pull up a random unit in any state, and can see how many points it'll take, the success rates, trophy potential, what seasons are available, how many tags are given out, and a description of the unit.

They also do a very good job detailing each states rules, regulations and tag cost.

Sometimes they will offer 30 days for free with a code or $50 gift card to their store. Search around the codes are usually easy to find.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:17 am

MSR reactor or pocket rocket will do the job. The jetboil’s fins at the bottom won’t stand up to the heat and melt. You can find pocket rockets or similar stoves for fairly cheap. You have decide what system you want to run. All in one like a jetboil or stove and pot. Pros and cons to each but both work well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”