Colorado archery elk 2022

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
User avatar
vtbuck
500 Club
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:43 pm
Location: ne wi
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:38 am

Scheduled my vacation for Colorado today at work.
I’m going.
Game on


Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
camelcluch
500 Club
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:56 am
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby camelcluch » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:53 pm

Elk hunting is okay if you like steep mountain walks and huge animals screaming at you. Who knew...
User avatar
vtbuck
500 Club
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:43 pm
Location: ne wi
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:19 pm

Did weights and ran 3.25 miles today
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
User avatar
vtbuck
500 Club
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:43 pm
Location: ne wi
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:23 pm

Well,
One of the guys are in so I’m excited to have a hunting partner.
Can’t wait for September to get here!
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
User avatar
Wlog
500 Club
Posts: 3156
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Eastern Shore MD
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:26 am

vtbuck wrote:Well,
One of the guys are in so I’m excited to have a hunting partner.
Can’t wait for September to get here!


I’m going with 2 guys this year. We’re headed out Labor Day weekend. It’s our first time so not sure what to expect. Good luck on your trip!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
User avatar
vtbuck
500 Club
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:43 pm
Location: ne wi
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:27 am

Wlog wrote:
vtbuck wrote:Well,
One of the guys are in so I’m excited to have a hunting partner.
Can’t wait for September to get here!


I’m going with 2 guys this year. We’re headed out Labor Day weekend. It’s our first time so not sure what to expect. Good luck on your trip!


Advice,

3 most important things I learned from last year.

- get in shape
- buy good boots
- get a good pack
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
camelcluch
500 Club
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:56 am
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby camelcluch » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:59 pm

I tell people it’s all about the triple B’s. Boots, bags and binos. These will change mountain hunts for sure.
User avatar
Sailfish_WC
500 Club
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:39 am
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:37 pm

vtbuck wrote:
Wlog wrote:
vtbuck wrote:Well,
One of the guys are in so I’m excited to have a hunting partner.
Can’t wait for September to get here!


I’m going with 2 guys this year. We’re headed out Labor Day weekend. It’s our first time so not sure what to expect. Good luck on your trip!


Advice,

3 most important things I learned from last year.

- get in shape
- buy good boots
- get a good pack



How should the boots fit?
I know that may sound funny, but how do you know if the size you go with it too big or small?
They require a break in period right?
Do you try them on with the sock you will wear the entire hunt?
Real or perceived hate cannot be driven away with hate
User avatar
Wlog
500 Club
Posts: 3156
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Eastern Shore MD
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby Wlog » Sat May 01, 2021 12:20 pm

Sailfish_WC wrote:
vtbuck wrote:
Wlog wrote:
vtbuck wrote:Well,
One of the guys are in so I’m excited to have a hunting partner.
Can’t wait for September to get here!


I’m going with 2 guys this year. We’re headed out Labor Day weekend. It’s our first time so not sure what to expect. Good luck on your trip!


Advice,

3 most important things I learned from last year.

- get in shape
- buy good boots
- get a good pack



How should the boots fit?
I know that may sound funny, but how do you know if the size you go with it too big or small?
They require a break in period right?
Do you try them on with the sock you will wear the entire hunt?


I bought a pair of Danners. They’re real comfortable, hopefully they’ll be good in the mountains.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
User avatar
vtbuck
500 Club
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:43 pm
Location: ne wi
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby vtbuck » Sat May 01, 2021 2:00 pm

I bought crispi summits.
Break in was around 60 miles.
Most companies will let you exchange them if there’s an issue such as size
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
User avatar
Sailfish_WC
500 Club
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:39 am
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat May 01, 2021 2:11 pm

I should have said when you try them on.
I imagine they’ll be snug
Real or perceived hate cannot be driven away with hate
User avatar
Sailfish_WC
500 Club
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:39 am
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat May 01, 2021 2:12 pm

Wlog wrote:
Sailfish_WC wrote:
vtbuck wrote:
Wlog wrote:
vtbuck wrote:Well,
One of the guys are in so I’m excited to have a hunting partner.
Can’t wait for September to get here!


I’m going with 2 guys this year. We’re headed out Labor Day weekend. It’s our first time so not sure what to expect. Good luck on your trip!


Advice,

3 most important things I learned from last year.

- get in shape
- buy good boots
- get a good pack



How should the boots fit?
I know that may sound funny, but how do you know if the size you go with it too big or small?
They require a break in period right?
Do you try them on with the sock you will wear the entire hunt?


I bought a pair of Danners. They’re real comfortable, hopefully they’ll be good in the mountains.


I’m looking at the pronghorns
Real or perceived hate cannot be driven away with hate
User avatar
vtbuck
500 Club
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:43 pm
Location: ne wi
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby vtbuck » Sat May 01, 2021 2:34 pm

If you watch camofire.com they have some great deals on boots
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Maverick1
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:34 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sun May 02, 2021 1:27 am

123 days left. Time to get after it.
camelcluch
500 Club
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:56 am
Status: Offline

Re: Colorado archery elk 2022

Unread postby camelcluch » Sun May 02, 2021 9:25 am

Boots are personal. There is no way I can wear danners but lots of people do fine with them. Make sure you wear and try the boots out on grades before coming out to the mountains. The fit should be done with whatever sock you choose. You don’t want any slippage inside the boot. That is a huge cause of blisters. I also suggest a few different styles of lacing to really lock your heal in and limit slipping. Another thing I would suggest is trying your boot out under load. The boot will wear very different with 60#, 70# and so on.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests