Ont moose

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wihunter95

Re: Ont moose

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:25 am

Congrats! Bow hunting moose is on my bucket list. Seems like an awesome experience!

swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:38 am

Wihunter95 wrote:Congrats! Bow hunting moose is on my bucket list. Seems like an awesome experience!

It was it was a great experience
When I get more time I will try to tell most of the story
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:54 am

Looks like a great adventure. I love flying by float plane and those Ontario sunsets are just awesome. 8-)
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:28 am

Spectacular!
Beautiful pics too 8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:31 am

Nice Moose :clap:
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:34 am

Man that's some nice views. Nice moose to. Congrats.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:24 pm

Couple more pics
Hope to start adding some story soon
Sorry busy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:20 pm

The hunt started about four years ago when a budy of mine booked a fly in moose drop camp for two in Ontario. He invited me to go with him. After getting the ok from my family the wait began
We were scheduled to go in 2020 but with the border closed it didn’t happen
2021 wasn’t looking good either so i planned to cash in my seven wy antelope points. Well thanks to point creep I didn’t get my wy antelope tag or my mn bear tag
These both turned out to be blessings in disguise do to the border opening, a wildfire season that didn’t slow down and helping my mom move off our old home place.
(Still working on the wildfires and the move)

As the date got closer we realized that the border was going to open but the only way across was to get vaccinated. I really wanted to go on the moose hunt so we know what my decision was.

As the date got closer ant the flying service said they wanted us there early in the day we realized the one variable that we couldn’t control was crossing the border
I was called out of the area on a fire and returned home the day before we left
Unfortunately I hadn’t done a great job of packing and we decided to leave the evening before the hunt in case there were issues at the border and drive part way.(the flying service is only 4.5 hours from our house)
Thankfully the border crossing was a breeze and we had our paperwork filled out right. A quick trip to the grocery store and we were on our way.
We drove about 2/3 of the way there and stopped at a motel
After a leisure drive in the morning way made it to the flying service
After some paperwork and licenses. Oh ya there was a problem with my license so they said they would fly mine in the next day.
They loaded three groups of two hunters onto the float plane and we were off. We were the first ones dropped off 120 miles north of their base

I’ll try to add more later
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:53 am

After getting dropped off we took a boat about 100yds from the cabin and caught a bunch of walleye keeping a couple for a meal
We then took off in the boat to explore. We looked over the lake we were on and also portaged into the next lake to the south to a different boat and explored part of that lake
That evening we caught some more fish, solved some of the world’s problems and came up with a plan for the morning
In the morning we got up early and headed out to the spot we had chosen the day before. My buddy hunted while I observed because there was a problem with my license the day before. After we hunted that location we decided to try the next spot.
We both got in the boat, started it up, and put it into gear. Nothing happened. Tried reverse, same result. Lifted motor and you guessed it, no prop. It had fallen off when we stopped earlier
We grabbed the one paddle we had and took turnes paddling into the wind back to the cabin
At some point we made it back and found a different prop but no nut or cotter pin. Oh well we just grabbed a different boat (there were four of them)
Once we swapped boats we were of to the next spot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”