Say ya to da UP eh? my MI trip!

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Say ya to da UP eh? my MI trip!

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:19 am

I probably should have made this into a journal or something, but I’m going to continue to update this and add pictures of my trip as I go.

Ive got an opportunity to go on an out of state hunt this year and I’m extremely excited about it. My friend from the Army invited me back up to the UP to hunt with them at their deer camp. Ive been to the UP hunting camp before but it was post deployments and I think it was around the mid 2000s since my last visit. I was in more of a party phase then, than I was about taking hunting seriously. I had a blast then, and now I am looking forward to going back. It’s a 13 1/2 hour trip from NW MS to UP MI and I think it’s going to take 7-8 tanks of gas round trip. (Lets go Brandon!) I should be up there Nov. 19th- Nov. 23. Also, the wife and kids are planning on family Thanksgiving in Starkville, MS. I will probably try to make it down there for that a day or so after MI for thanksgiving dinner and maybe try to score a ticket to the egg bowl. Hail state!

Anyway, I’ve been cyber scouting it and I’m really hoping I can fare better with finding a nice buck. I know they will deer drive a few areas and it might be more geared toward party hunting over the post up, beast style solitary deer hunting that I’m used to. I’m sure I could branch off and spin on my own spiral but don’t want to be antisocial. Honestly, I’m a bit torn about what I want to set my goals on this trip. I can turn into a manic deer hunting machine in search of finding and killing a nice buck.

Maybe setting goals aren’t important on this type of trip? Please add feedback if inclined! Thanks and I will add more info and pics as I get closer to leaving.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Re: Say ya to da UP eh? my MI trip!

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:51 am

Good luck, deer camp will be a great time!
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:01 pm

I'd suggest you just fall in line with the deer camp mentality and embrace it.

The centuries-old traditions of the Northern Deer Camp are fading fast; enjoy the experience and comraderie of your friends for what it is, even if the hunting is very different from what you're used to.
Just make sure that the drives are well-organized and safe; that everyone is where they are supposed to be and who is allowed to shoot in which directions and who is not at various points in the drive.

Most of the old deer camps had an older/experienced guy designated as sort of the "drive Captain" to plan and organize each drive (with input from the others of course.)
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:52 pm

Man that sounds like fun! Enjoy it and keep us updated!
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:21 pm

I agree. Just let yourself sink in to the deer camp, and then whatever legal deer that gets you a little excited on this particular hunt id take. Dont weigh yourself down with an expectation. Like said above the deer camps are getting much more rare. Im from WI and my families deer camp unfortunately is no more.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:27 pm

KRONIIK wrote:I'd suggest you just fall in line with the deer camp mentality and embrace it.

The centuries-old traditions of the Northern Deer Camp are fading fast; enjoy the experience and comraderie of your friends for what it is, even if the hunting is very different from what you're used to.
Just make sure that the drives are well-organized and safe; that everyone is where they are supposed to be and who is allowed to shoot in which directions and who is not at various points in the drive.

Most of the old deer camps had an older/experienced guy designated as sort of the "drive Captain" to plan and organize each drive (with input from the others of course.)

Thanks, you are correct, it’s saturated in historical tradition.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:29 pm

PublicLandOwner529 wrote:I agree. Just let yourself sink in to the deer camp, and then whatever legal deer that gets you a little excited on this particular hunt id take. Dont weigh yourself down with an expectation. Like said above the deer camps are getting much more rare. Im from WI and my families deer camp unfortunately is no more.

I’m sad to hear things have changed for you and moved a different direction. Appreciate the advice, kind of along what I’m thinking too.
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:34 pm

Sad at times but it breaking up forced me to become a much better deer hunter so definitely had a very good silver lining! Haha

Bu it sounds like an awesome hunt man, I hope you have fun!
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:47 pm

Id go up with zero expectations of shooting a nice buck,beast hunting on my own, etc. I save that for bowhunting. Id go up just to enjoy the experience and camaraderie and expect to see a lot of coordinated party hunting. Which of course can lead to a nice buck but just not a nice buck killed by solo hunting bedding like a hermit like most of us do.

Sounds like an awesome time. The UP is a special place
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:19 pm

I love the UP of my native state... such a beautiful and wonderful place! Sounds like it's going to be a fun trip, enjoy!

Hope your Mississippi self is ready for some snow! :lol:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Where is the UP deer camp? If it is close to Lake Michigan, you should see deer. If you are way back in the woods, you will be lucky to even see a buck. be gratefull if you see a few deer if it is way up north.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:27 pm

This song is all you need to put you in the proper frame of mind.

https://youtu.be/ZBg0j5ikj3A
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:16 pm

I was just up there around 10/23. Love it up there, talk about traditional deer camp. Good luck and please share pics.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:59 pm

greenhorndave wrote:This song is all you need to put you in the proper frame of mind.

https://youtu.be/ZBg0j5ikj3A

That’s great!!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:00 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:I was just up there around 10/23. Love it up there, talk about traditional deer camp. Good luck and please share pics.

Will do!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”