Alaskan Moose Hunt trip

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chuck B
500 Club

Alaskan Moose Hunt trip

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:14 am

I got covid bad in August of 2021. For a little while, I thought I might have met my maker and didn't know if I would be able to play ball with my kids ever again, or even step foot in the woods ever again. Well, a few weeks later I was feeling decent again and its all a distant memory now, thank god. Well, when I was still fresh from my thoughts of death laying in my bed with low oxygen and not enough energy to even look at my phone, I decided I have to do some things NOW, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. I have pushed things off because "we are so busy" and I don't want to leave my young kids and wife alone for a week or more. I have always wanted to go west to chase some Elk. But my dream hunt was an Alaskan Moose hunt. It was my brother in laws dream hunt as well.

"Lets do it" I said. He said "do what"? "Lets do what we have always talked about and just book the dang thing, moose hunt in AK" I replied. His eyes got big and said "IN!". Of course we both had to clear it with the war department at home, but they gave us our blessing (my bro in law also has young kids). That was last December when we had that conversation. We are now 75 days away from our trip and its starting to hit home that this thing is happening. Can't friggin wait.

We are doing this pretty much alone. We went through a middle man that aligns us with the pilot, raft renters, etc. And he knows the area a bit and gave us his suggested location. We paid him a fee for that. But other than that, its on our own. We will be flown in a puddle jumper and dropped off on a small river and will be floating/hunting/camping for 10 days and then picked up again (weather cooperating of course ha). We will have a satellite phone so that if we do shoot one (hopefully two), we can get ahold of the pilot so he can meet us at a drop-off location to pick up the moose and fly it back. In Alaska, nothing of the animal can be left behind.

10 days of quietness. 10 days of hunting. 10 days of beautiful surroundings. 10 days having dinner around a campfire each night. 10 days of not seeing another human (besides my bro in law).

I hope we shoot a moose or two. But, I am not too worried about that. The experience will be more than worth it whether we punch a tag or not.

Anyone else ever take a trip like this? If so, please let me know your thoughts or suggestions. We have done a ton of research and we think we are pretty well prepared, but I am always open to hearing new ideas or thoughts on anything in life, and especially on this matter.

If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
welded34
500 Club

Re: Alaskan Moose Hunt trip

Unread postby welded34 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:05 am

That's on my bucket list too! Goodluck I hope you put one down!
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:16 am

I can’t wait to hear how this trip goes we are planning our DIY Alaska moose hunt for the fall of 2025 and I hope to learn from your success through this. Best of luck to ya and maybe you can keep us updated on here as to how things are going leading up to the hunt and then an update once you make it haome
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:17 am

:shock:
Life was not meant to be lived from the sideline.
So happy for you.

Most of the big West hunt info is on Rokslide forum.
Practice shooting positions and get fit. Or get fitter, lol.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:44 am

Heck ya do it while you can. Life’s way to short.

I did a lot of stuff when I was much younger but looking back it’s never enough. Wish I did more. Life is all about experiences and memories created from them.

I always wanted to do like Fred Bear and take a Kodiak Brown Bear with a stick bow. Should have done that when I was young and stupid enough to try it. :lol:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:52 pm

Good luck!!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:50 am

Glad you are healthy and making the most of the time you have left, no better way to live. Can't wait to hear how your trip goes. Check out the rokslide forums, lots of very knowledgeable people there and historical posts to search through.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:04 am

Way Cool!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:50 am

Good luck!! I went on a caribou hunt in Newfoundland almost 20 years ago now. Was flown in by helicopter and it was fully guided. Some of the guys I went with moose hunted also. Everyone filled tags the hunting was excellent. There you have to hire a guide to hunt. Was a great time
dyeguy1212

Unread postby dyeguy1212 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:15 pm

Chuck B wrote:I got covid bad in August of 2021. For a little while, I thought I might have met my maker and didn't know if I would be able to play ball with my kids ever again, or even step foot in the woods ever again. Well, a few weeks later I was feeling decent again and its all a distant memory now, thank god. Well, when I was still fresh from my thoughts of death laying in my bed with low oxygen and not enough energy to even look at my phone, I decided I have to do some things NOW, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. I have pushed things off because "we are so busy" and I don't want to leave my young kids and wife alone for a week or more. I have always wanted to go west to chase some Elk. But my dream hunt was an Alaskan Moose hunt. It was my brother in laws dream hunt as well.

"Lets do it" I said. He said "do what"? "Lets do what we have always talked about and just book the dang thing, moose hunt in AK" I replied. His eyes got big and said "IN!". Of course we both had to clear it with the war department at home, but they gave us our blessing (my bro in law also has young kids). That was last December when we had that conversation. We are now 75 days away from our trip and its starting to hit home that this thing is happening. Can't friggin wait.

We are doing this pretty much alone. We went through a middle man that aligns us with the pilot, raft renters, etc. And he knows the area a bit and gave us his suggested location. We paid him a fee for that. But other than that, its on our own. We will be flown in a puddle jumper and dropped off on a small river and will be floating/hunting/camping for 10 days and then picked up again (weather cooperating of course ha). We will have a satellite phone so that if we do shoot one (hopefully two), we can get ahold of the pilot so he can meet us at a drop-off location to pick up the moose and fly it back. In Alaska, nothing of the animal can be left behind.

10 days of quietness. 10 days of hunting. 10 days of beautiful surroundings. 10 days having dinner around a campfire each night. 10 days of not seeing another human (besides my bro in law).

I hope we shoot a moose or two. But, I am not too worried about that. The experience will be more than worth it whether we punch a tag or not.

Anyone else ever take a trip like this? If so, please let me know your thoughts or suggestions. We have done a ton of research and we think we are pretty well prepared, but I am always open to hearing new ideas or thoughts on anything in life, and especially on this matter.

Very cool, best of luck! I'm having similar "mental blocks" with a 7 month old at home. He changes so much in a week, it's hard to sign up to miss any of it.

I'll get a hold of you in a few weeks to pick your brain. I'm trying to get a similar fly-in trip booked for caribou before the Air Force sends my Godson somewhere else. He's done 3 years in Anchorage, and signed up for another 3. He loves it up there. I'm going to book us a hunt as a send-off before he leaves in 2025.
dyeguy1212

Unread postby dyeguy1212 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:15 pm

Double post
Stretch
500 Club

Unread postby Stretch » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:15 am

I did this trip in 2010, from what you described sounds likely that we used the same outfitter. We saw 1 bull moose that was borderline legal and a small gruop of caribou off in the distance. Judging 50 inches of moose rack is not easy. Came home with all our tags but no regrets, it was a cool trip. Everywhere we got out of the raft there were moose,caribou, bear and wolf tracks. We had great weather the whole trip, temps from as low as 10° at night to the low 50's in the afternoon. Caught some nice grayling along the way. Enjoy your trip and let us know how it went.
"Let's go brandon, i agree" JOE BIDEN
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:38 am

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbupright: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:46 am

Bring a fish pole. And have a great time.

Hope you guys get a couple bulls.
mpernest

Unread postby mpernest » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:12 pm

I love that you made the decision to act now and make it happen! An elk hunt has been a dream for me and my brother. He is finally making it happen this season and I am excited for him too. Donnie Vincent said, “If you want to have fantastic experiences you have to put yourself in fantastic places.” Sounds like you are doing just that. Best of luck on this adventure!!
“There is no one else to blame.” -Jocko Willink

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”